Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
jhowes

Default Wobble in the engine

Because i thought i had a noise in the engine i replaced it with one that i had rebuilt some time ago. Now i have put the old engine on a stand and i am trying to find any faults with it. The tolerances seem to be in line with a used but good engine as i have .0015 " on the center main and the babbet looks good on all the other journals. It has come time to check run-out so i used my magnetic base dial indicator and put it on the engine so that i could put the pick up in through the starter hole and set it on the flywheel the run out is 10 thousands in a complete turn. Is that ok and am i measuring it in the right place? How do i correct that if it is bey0nd acceptable? I then put the indicator on the flywheel housing and measured the flywheel wobble. It was 6 thousands. The pressure plate and clutch are still on the flywheel during this. I don't know what to check or how to check these tolerances but i would like as little wobble as possible. Also i tried to check the thrust but i couldn't budge the crank front and back at all. I put the flywheel up high with the engine turned so that the crank was vertical and tried to move it up and then i swung the engine around so that the flywheel was down and tried to move the crank with no movement at all. I must be doing something wrong.
I also don't know how to check the slop in the valve guides, they are the original non adjustable lifters and mushroom valves. So how much should the stems wobble and how do you measure this? Any help appreciated, thanks jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Wobble in the engine

You said it had a noise. Where did you see the wobble? On a test Stand? Did you run it out of the car?
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
jhowes

My sons claim that there is no noise but i disagree. I have it on a regular engine stand where i am making the measurements. The wobble is measured on the test stand (aka engine stand). The question is ...are these measurements made in the correct place and are they within standard limits? Jack
Old 10-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
Bob C

You need to have the front of the engine pointing down because the for and aft
movement of the crank will effect your readings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 142.jpg (51.1 KB, 72 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
jhowes

Bobc; the measurement that you show in the posted picture is not what i have done yet as i didn't know that to be critical. At this time i have the flywheel and pressure plate still mounted. What is the max runout of the measurement that you are showing? Thanks; jack
Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Bob C

I believe the flywheel housing runout is .006.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Run out on O.D. of the crank, rear flang should be .000.
Run out on the face of the rear flange should be .000.
Run out on the flywheel housing, as Bob said, not over .006. If you set 9 & 3 the same, or plus or minus no more then .002, with an odd amount of shims. Then set 12 & 6, with the equal amount of shims under the two top bolts, to get them to read the same, even if they are off more then .006, from the sides, you will end up with 4 points that the transmission will bolt up square.

The flywheel should turn zero, or very close, if everything was done right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 134.jpg (51.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 135.jpg (44.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 138.jpg (52.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 136.jpg (51.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 143.jpg (37.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 145.jpg (43.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 217.jpg (58.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 227.jpg (152.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 229.jpg (64.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 240.jpg (51.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 250.jpg (70.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 245.jpg (60.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 254.jpg (49.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 265.jpg (149.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's Model A from Lincoln, Ne , Part 2 273.jpg (54.2 KB, 49 views)
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #8
chap52

Great post. Very informative for us all.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
jhowes

Kohnke Rebabbitting; This is really great, have you ever considered printing a book on this subject along with the balancing of an A engine? I would buy it in a heartbeat. Thank you so much, Jack
Old 10-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Kohnke Rebabbitting; This is really great, have you ever considered printing a book on this subject along with the balancing of an A engine? I would buy it in a heartbeat. Thank you so much, Jack
To much work, and besides, I have already told you more then I know ! lol

Thanks,

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote