Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #21
Talkwrench

Default Re: Omg not sears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Sears is a strange case, they were the original Amazon! And now they can't figure out how to compete, strange.
What I was thinking...
Old 10-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

"...every little "burg" and "ville" I have ever passed through has a NAPA (or NAPA affiliation) auto parts store in it..."

I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here NAPA stores are almost non-existent. A few years back they were all over, but gone now. The local NAPAs had a odd way of operating, the employees would always give you a hard time over the simplest purchase. I quite using them as apparently did a lot of others. There are just too many other options available without the attitude. You could understand a few employees or maybe a store or two, but they were consistently jerks and there were a large number of stores in the area. Real shame. But they are online.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #23
TJ

Quote:
"...every little "burg" and "ville" I have ever passed through has a NAPA (or NAPA affiliation) auto parts store in it..."

I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here NAPA stores are almost non-existent. A few years back they were all over, but gone now. The local NAPAs had a odd way of operating, the employees would always give you a hard time over the simplest purchase. I quite using them as apparently did a lot of others. There are just too many other options available without the attitude. You could understand a few employees or maybe a store or two, but they were consistently jerks and there were a large number of stores in the area. Real shame. But they are online.
Interesting comment on the employees. Around here my Napa store is great and the employees are extremely helpful. They go the extra mile to find an odd part. Employees are a reflection of the management. If management has an "attitude" so will the employees.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #24
cederholm

Not that strange if you think about it. Sears lost its way long ago. Even though Amazon is online, their customer service is pretty good. Their return policy is fair and they are mostly helpful.

The real advantage of a "real" store over an online store is customer service. And Sear started sucking in the late 80's and never came back. I once returned a broken craftsmen and they tried to replace it non-lifetime version. They had to call a manager when I protested. Another time they gave me something from a big box of "refurbished" tools. ...and the tool guys were decent enough. Other employees int he rest of the store just didn't care.

I'll miss the nostalgia of Sears, but little else.

~ Carl

Quote:
Sears is a strange case, they were the original Amazon! And now they can't figure out how to compete, strange.
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #25
Shoebox

To the OP, where did you hear/read this? Although it's inevitable that Sears will declare bankruptcy, I haven't seen it in any of my news feeds yet.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #26
adileo

I saw it on news last night.

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #27
30-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adileo View Post
I saw it on news last night.
That’s where I saw it too
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #28
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
To the OP, where did you hear/read this? Although it's inevitable that Sears will declare bankruptcy, I haven't seen it in any of my news feeds yet.
Here is one news story. They haven't filed yet, but probably will, according to the story.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ng/1598562002/
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #29
barnstuf

I still have their annual big catalogs for 1992, 1993, 1994 which I kept as a reminder of the old days.

In 2003 my household refrigerator quit working. I consulted Consumer Reports at the local library. Kenmore had a high rating for dependability so off I went to Sears 35 miles away. I found the model I wanted and guess what. They would not accept cash, check, or Visa. They would only sell to folks with Sears charge accounts and they could open one then and now for me. Who could refuse that offer? I could and walked out. I sensed big trouble in the offing with an attitude like that. Have never been back..
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #30
Brendan

i thought they started going down hill after they stopped selling popcorn...lol

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #31
itslow

Quote:

I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here NAPA stores are almost non-existent.
That's odd. According to Google Maps, there's a NAPA store about every 30 or so miles in the area surrounding Wichita. It's about the same up here in Iowa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Interesting comment on the employees. Around here my Napa store is great and the employees are extremely helpful. They go the extra mile to find an odd part. Employees are a reflection of the management. If management has an "attitude" so will the employees.
Definitely comes down to individual store management and ownership since they're franchised.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'll check that out, the closest one I was aware of was is Augusta. They were all over Wichita and one in Derby say 20 years ago. 30 miles is a ways to drive when there are maybe 10 other auto stores within a mile or less! But there is online.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #33
RKS.PA

As a kid in the 50's, my sister and I always fought over the Sears Christmas Catalog. Needed it to get our Santa Claus list together!!

Thirty years later or so (1980), I bought a "Sears House" in Hudson Ohio that was built in 1926. Sears sold houses in kit form that were delivered to locations close to railroad sidings. The kit was loaded on a flat car for local delivery and construction. Actually, it was a darn good house and had held up well in the severe Northeast Ohio winters!!! (No lifetime guarantee on that Craftsman!!)

Sad to see an American icon destroyed!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #34
waterboychuck

I'm hoping that the Craftsman, and Kenmore brands stay around. Get rid of everything else.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #35
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Craftsman, like already posted, is carried by Ace hardware and Lowes. Talked to Lowes staff recently and they are currently carrying a limited number of items but are expecting to expand in the future. Ace carries a fairly full line now.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 PM   #36
outlaw

Sears originally started going down hill when they got rid of their gun & camping/sporting goods department, toy department, & stopped selling tools such as lathes & presses & such.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:38 AM   #37
PeteVS

I don't think that Sears, themselves, ever made ANYTHING. It's always been just a sales organization.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I don't think that Sears, themselves, ever made ANYTHING. It's always been just a sales organization.
Almost all companies provide specifications to a manufacture, that's what the engineers do is write the specifications. As an example Ford and Chevy and whoever else will purchase some items, such as gears say, from the same supplier/manufacture but use different specifications. Years ago Ford did a lot of it's own parts manufacturing where as Chevy tended to farm more of it out.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboychuck View Post
I'm hoping that the Craftsman, and Kenmore brands stay around. Get rid of everything else.

Can you tell us where that big Craftsman factory and the Kenmore factory are located? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #40
GB SISSON

I think a company called Roper, in the deep south builds at least the Kenmore washing machines.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote