Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor Wheel questions

I am at that point where wheels and tires are on my todo list. I had the tires removed from the wheels in preparation for blasting/painting/installing new tires.

When I removed the wheels/tires from the car I noticed that the drums and the inside of the wheel hubs had wear marks where the two parts contacted each other. At first I didn't think much about it, then my brain started analyzing the contact marks. The inner wheel hub marks are easier to see than the drum marks in some cases. I see four separate areas where the drum and wheel hub contact each other. See pix.

1--I am wondering--do these four places come in contact all at the same time or does the tightening of the lug nuts just force the wheel hub to bend a little bit into that contact arrangement?

2--The outer ring of the wheel hub seems to leave a rusty mark on the brake drum that is visible when looking at the wheel from the outside of the car. Is that the sign that the two parts are moving and rubbing against one another? Is the normal?

3--What is the proper torque for the lug nuts?

4--One of the wheels has a crack on the outer hub area--see pix Can that be welded or should I replace that wheel?

5--I am planning to mount the wheels onto a front drum to check for bent rim--is that the best way to see if they are straight? If they are not straight, can I adjust them or do they need to be sent out somewhere??

6--The #4 contact area that is shown in the pix seems to be more pronounced on some of the wheels and one of the wheels does not have much of a mark at all. Is this mark normal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contact marks.jpg (87.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0819.jpg (62.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0828.jpg (80.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0826.jpg (39.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg wheel label.jpg (91.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
johnbuckley

Default Re: 29 Tudor Wheel questions

Since no one else has has had a go at answering these I'll put my head above the parapet and here we go , stand by for other forumists' contrary views

1--I am wondering--do these four places come in contact all at the same time or does the tightening of the lug nuts just force the wheel hub to bend a little bit into that contact arrangement?
A If you put the nuts on to pull the wheel on firmly then as they start to do their job tighten the nuts up alternately ( being five in number ) it gets the wheel fitting snugly without any torsion as you fit it

2--The outer ring of the wheel hub seems to leave a rusty mark on the brake drum that is visible when looking at the wheel from the outside of the car. Is that the sign that the two parts are moving and rubbing against one another?
A No
Q Is the normal?
A Yes

3--What is the proper torque for the lug nuts?
A Er uhm one grunt with a whell wrench.. I guess about 25- 30 ft lbs, but after you've driven a few miles go round again -- you'd be surprised that they will tighten up some more

4--One of the wheels has a crack on the outer hub area--see pix Can that be welded or should I replace that wheel?
A Can be mig wleded but check for trueness(run out) and if several cracks then I am sure new wheel would be better

5--I am planning to mount the wheels onto a front drum to check for bent rim--is that the best way to see if they are straight?
Yes
If they are not straight, can I adjust them or do they need to be sent out somewhere?? I have never manged to strughten a buckled wheel but others have manged it in the home garage

6--The #4 contact area that is shown in the pix seems to be more pronounced on some of the wheels and one of the wheels does not have much of a mark at all. Is this mark normal?
A Doesn't look bad to me !
(PS personal message sent .)
AND HERE'S An EXTRA BONUS QUESTION ... what's an easy way of telling an early AR wheel from a later 21 inch wheel please?? Ditto AR hubs?
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
fred93

John--thanks for your reply. I probably will mig the cracked wheel and use it as a spare--somehow marking it on the inside "use as spare only"--no use asking for trouble!!!
Old 05-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Could they possibly be Early '28 wheels, on ' 29 drums????
Bill W.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
johnbuckley

[QUOTE=BILL WILLIAMSON;1627897]Could they possibly be Early '28 wheels, on ' 29 drums???? humm I wondered that too hence my query...what's an easy way of telling an early AR wheel from a later 21 inch wheel ?? Ditto AR hubs?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

[QUOTE=johnbuckley;1627935][QUOTE=BILL WILLIAMSON;1627897]Could they possibly be Early '28 wheels, on ' 29 drums???? humm I wondered that too hence my query...what's an easy way of telling an early AR wheel from a later 21 inch wheel ?? Ditto AR hubs?[/QUOTE
The Service Bulletins describe the differences in the wheels & drums.
Bill W.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
johnbuckley

[QUOTE=BILL WILLIAMSON;1627944][QUOTE=johnbuckley;1627935]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
[/QUOTE
The Service Bulletins describe the differences in the wheels & drums.
Bill W.
Fred 93's wheel doesn't look like an early one . Although the info is in the wservice bulletins it's but still not easy to spot the wheel difference, unless the wheels are side by side...I'll start anew thread on this one, Bill

Last edited by johnbuckley; 05-11-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
Synchro909

I've had several wheels crack from the back edge of the centre, welded them only for them to go again. I had some rings profile cut from 3mm (1/8") sheet to go on around the centre. I welded them on to stiffen the edge like what was done on later wheels. They can be seen - if you look but in 5 years, only one person has noticed. The rings are 270 mm ID and 290 OD. They stopped the problem dead in its tracks but due to the extreme loads I put on the wheels when towing, they broke at the next weakest point. Spokes started pulling off the rim. When that happens, I find a workshop in the next town and weld them back on. I drill a 1/4" hole through the rim at the end of the spoke first, then plug weld the end of the spoke back to the rim. None of those have broken again (yet).