Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Chevmn56

Default Timing on 31 Tudor

I was going over some stuff on the A getting it ready to time it. I pulled the cap and rotor and found a nu rex plate with new style points and condenser....thats good i guess???????? dont know enough about the Model A yet......so i put it all together and go to pull the pin to find TDC. The housing is chrome and where the pin is supposed to be it has a bolt lock washer and some RTV. I also found a pointer and 3 notches in the pulley that the pointer was pointing at. The 2 outside notches had a white paint dot on them and the one in the center had nothing. Soooo i take it this timing cover is not stock, if i put a pin in the hole to find TDC will it actually work??????? and if i dont find TDC..... which timing mark do i use to time it????? Kind of lost on this.......also the rod for the manual retard/advance has been cut and put back together with 2 electrical panel lugs i have new rods coming today from snyders.....but im concerned that if i put the stock length rod back on am i going to hurt the motor with the timing being so far out maybe????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171109_121836.jpg (68.6 KB, 92 views)
Chevmn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
old31

Default Re: Timing on 31 Tudor

The nu rex plate is a good.

It looks like someone setup a timing marker (the pointer) with the white dots and notches so that they could time it with a gun. One can only assume that one of the white dots is TDC? But, I would not trust it.

Yes it will work. Put a pin in it and turn it over until the pin drops in the indent in the timing gear. At this stage I would not worry about all the other stuff that has been added. You can figure that later on.

Put the Snyder parts in and go.

The timing cover appears to be stock.

Do you have the Les Andrews red book or something to help you out?

Just curious. Do you have a picture of the cut rod that you could show us?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
Chevmn56

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
The nu rex plate is a good.

It looks like someone setup a timing marker (the pointer) with the white dots and notches so that they could time it with a gun. One can only assume that one of the white dots is TDC? But, I would not trust it.

Yes it will work. Put a pin in it and turn it over until the pin drops in the indent in the timing gear. At this stage I would not worry about all the other stuff that has been added. You can figure that later on.

Put the Snyder parts in and go.

The timing cover appears to be stock.

Do you have the Les Andrews red book or something to help you out?

Just curious. Do you have a picture of the cut rod that you could show us?
Glad the nu rex is good !!!!!! i had a issue where the cheap after market switch was shorting out on the firewall/gas tank so i ordered the new switch and cable re-pop from snyders......will this big ass cable/spring work with the nu rex distributor?????

As far as the pin goes can i use a punch or something until i can get a pin????

Yes sir someone on this sight gave me a list of book and the Red Les Andrews book is in a box on my door step as we speak!!!!

Thanks for all your help and advice this site is great!!!!!!!

Here's a pic of the timing rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171109_154733.jpg (73.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
James Rogers

If you don't have a timing pin, you can use a phillips screwdriver about the same size as the pin hole. In fact, it will probably work better. Your timing rod needs the steering column adjusted so it will not be too long. Just put your new rod on, loosen the clamps on the steering box and the clamp that holds the steering inside the car so the column can be rotated. Push the timing lever to the top and rotate the column till the lever in the distributor just touches the cap at full retard. Tighten the clamps and drive.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #5
Big hammer

It looks to me someone threaded the timing pin boss :-( You may have to manufacture your own pin :-)
Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
James Rogers

The timing pin boss is threaded from the factory.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
katy

To find TDC, pull the spark plugs and look in the #1 hole, turn engine over by hand and watch the piston and the valves. When the piston is going down and the intake valve is open keep turning until the intake valve closes and the piston starts to come up. Keep turning until the piston reaches the top and you're at TDC on #1 cylinder. Simple.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
Chevmn56

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
If you don't have a timing pin, you can use a phillips screwdriver about the same size as the pin hole. In fact, it will probably work better. Your timing rod needs the steering column adjusted so it will not be too long. Just put your new rod on, loosen the clamps on the steering box and the clamp that holds the steering inside the car so the column can be rotated. Push the timing lever to the top and rotate the column till the lever in the distributor just touches the cap at full retard. Tighten the clamps and drive.
James thanks so much that is the valuable info that this site can supply

Thanks Pat
Old 11-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
The timing pin boss is threaded from the factory.
Duh it was late! The bolt threaded in it looks larger! I made a pin that I carry with my tool box, it fits tight with in the boss and ground point like a pencil but not sharp. Works better for me than an original pin.