Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
rocket1

Default Whitewall tires

There is a show on netflix called lawless,depicts several a"s one sedan has whitewall tires and a stoneguard.coker tire history of whitewalls states ford introduced whitewalls in 1934,car might not be period correct and was a stone guard available back then,any view points on this?
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Whitewall tires

WW's were double sided in the 20's I believe. Maybe the early 30's but you could have had a car with them from the dealer NOT from the factory. Depending on where in the US the car is it is possible to have them. Although, 95% of the cars didn't have them I am guessing. The stone guard not sure about those but I assume they are period accessories as well.

Mike
Old 01-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
Tudortomnz

The earliest era photo I have of w/w's [looks double sided] is summer 1931 & shows a 1930 68B parked outside Long Beach Ford Plant on a public open day. All other cars of various makes parked nearby do not have w/w's. The stoneguard became available about mid 1930 but not an ápproved' accessory. No doubt a Ford Dealer could install one. These two items were rare in the Model A era & invoices for new cars often show pedal pads, tire covers [fabric] or spring covers installed but not the flashy items often seen on 'restored 'cars nowdays.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
CWPASADENA

A lot of recent movies depicting cars from the 30's usually have several Model A's. Most of the time, they are in way too good condition for the era. I recently saw a movie that was supposed to be 1933 in a small depressed town in the south. The characters were dressed shabbily and the houses were run down and the roads were dirt and no one had any money but most of the model A's were clean, polished and in show condition with W/W tires, stone guards and other accessories. The cars should look like the characters and the town.

A few years ago, some friends in the Model A Club had their cars in a "period" movie. They only accepted Model A's with black wall tires and discouraged cars with a lot of accessories. They also made some of the cars appeared to not have been washed for some time and really were glad to get an unrestored car with bent up fenders that looked like it would have at that time.

The procurer of the cars said all of this was specified by the director of the film. When I saw the Movie, it appeared to be very authentic.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
J Franklin

The shows, The Waltons & The Real McCoys did a good job showing period automobiles.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:42 AM   #6
jm29henry

Mike, is spot on.
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
ronn

that movie was discussed here a few years ago when it first came out at the movies..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

Wifey and I would like to find some movies with Model A's in them. We usually use Netflix but maybe there are other options.

Any Model A movie recommendations?

We've already watched Bonnie and Clyde a couple times
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
37 Coupe

I always liked Andy Hardy's (Mickey Rooney ) Model A roadster the best.Probably what most of them looked like at 10-15 years old.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I always liked Andy Hardy's (Mickey Rooney ) Model A roadster the best.Probably what most of them looked like at 10-15 years old.
I have always thought it would be cool to have a replica of this car!

As far as im concerned once they started to put colour in movies they went downhill. My favorite movies are from the 30's, one thing I particularly like about watching them is seeing the old cars.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote