Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 5,761
Default Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Does anyone know the definitive reason that Ford decided to change the hub's flange location from inside the drum to outside the drum? This is particularly interesting in that the two designs are completely interchangeable, and that Ford didn't usually make changes that cost The Company significant monies just for yuks. DD


EARLY...





LATE...


__________________
T5 W/TORQUE TUBE


Understand the subject at hand before you disagree!




V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Charlie ny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,372
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

I have no idea in vs out but I like the looks of the innie much more.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
1931 flamingo
Senior Member
 
1931 flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: new britain,ct 06052
Posts: 8,283
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

I would think there was a cost savings involved somewhere along the way. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
19Fordy
Senior Member
 
19Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 7,446
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Could have been something to do with being the cheapest way to make the wheel mounting surface to surface distance wider to accommodate a wider body without having to redesign the rear end housings, axles, etc?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
Tim Ayers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,183
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Once the wheel is on, it can't be seen so there has to be a reason. My money is was either cheaper or quicker to outside v. inside.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 5,761
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Could have been something to do with being the cheapest way to make the wheel mounting surface to surface distance wider to accommodate a wider body without having to redesign the rear end housings, axles, etc?

Wheel-mounting surface distance between early and late DID increase, but the rear end housing itself ('42-'48) was about 1-1/2" wider than the '35-'41. The different drums were dimensionally the same when mounted.


As far as cost savings, you need to first consider that engineering costs and total re-tooling for the differences ain't cheap. And considering that both had flanges whether seen or hidden, there is essentially no savings in materials used. So...…………….what am I missing? DD
__________________
T5 W/TORQUE TUBE


Understand the subject at hand before you disagree!




V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
deuce_roadster
Senior Member
 
deuce_roadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shelton, WA
Posts: 2,454
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Most changed I believe were made to make things cheaper or make things quicker on the assembly line, not to necessarily make them better but some changes probably were for parts that were failing.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
ford38v8
Senior Member
 
ford38v8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,057
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Here's my take:
Improved heat dissipation capability, design resistance to heat warpage in service, and manufacturing quality control.
__________________
Alan
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster
Senior Member
 
Ronnieroadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast in CT
Posts: 654
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Did it have anything to do with the way a wire wheel would sit on the face of the drum?
Ronnieroadster
__________________
I use the F word a lot no not that word these words Flathead , Focus and Finish.
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club using a Ford Flathead block"
Owner , Builder and Driver of the First Ford Flathead bodied roadster to run 200 MPH Record run July 13, 2018 LTA timing association 200.921 from a standing start in one and a half miles burning gasoline.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #10
Tim Ayers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,183
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Did it have anything to do with the way a wire wheel would sit on the face of the drum?
Ronnieroadster
Could have something to do with this. Never thought about wheels. The outside hub is when the switch over to steelies was the only wheel option.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #11
Mart
Senior Member
 
Mart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Solihull, England.
Posts: 6,143
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

I doubt that Ford were worried about compatibility with wires by that time. They had been out of production by a few years by then. It's a bit surprising that the wires will go over the 40 drums at all, considering there had been 4 years of wide 5s in the meantime.

The reason for the change may have been that the drums were easier to press out, being a shallower draw. possibly marginally less material, lighter weight (I haven't a clue really) but there must have been a benefit to the change, either financially or quality wise.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #12
Tim Ayers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,183
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I doubt that Ford were worried about compatibility with wires by that time. They had been out of production by a few years by then. It's a bit surprising that the wires will go over the 40 drums at all, considering there had been 4 years of wide 5s in the meantime.

The reason for the change may have been that the drums were easier to press out, being a shallower draw. possibly marginally less material, lighter weight (I haven't a clue really) but there must have been a benefit to the change, either financially or quality wise.

Mart.
The ‘40 hub style was also used in the rear in ‘35, just had a different bearing for them.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #13
51 MERC-CT
Senior Member
 
51 MERC-CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hartford, Ct
Posts: 4,679
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

I suspect that two engineers got together and said "let's change the design on these" so that some day down the road someone will rack their brain trying to figure out 'why?'
__________________
DON'T RECALL DOING SOMETHING FOR MYSELF BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE'S LIKES OR DISLIKES
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #14
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,784
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

My guess is that the swaging process for the studs was more efficient when the swage was against the hub disk.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #15
Tim Ayers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,183
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
I suspect that two engineers got together and said "let's change the design on these" so that some day down the road someone will rack their brain trying to figure out 'why?'
Haha. Could be.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #16
Rich-CO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 145
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

I believe it is because the inner design had a tendency to chatter/squeal. The scallops on the outer design added considerable stiffness and mitigated the chatter/squeal.
Rich-CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #17
Desoto291Hemi
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Carthage , Tennessee
Posts: 79
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

I work with a guy that calls it “job justification “.
He says that whenever new engineers or managers are hired,,,they have to change things no matter how good something works.
That justifies their being hired,,,no matter how bad it screws up the works.
Then after a couple of years,,and the corresponding downturn in productivity,,,they are replaced and a new guy decides to put it back where it was.
Immediate increases in productivity,,, and upper management is very proud that the new guys fixed the problem.
Sounds crazy I know,,,but I have seen a lot of situations happen just like this.

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:00 AM   #18
ford38v8
Senior Member
 
ford38v8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,057
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi View Post
I work with a guy that calls it “job justification “.
He says that whenever new engineers or managers are hired,,,they have to change things no matter how good something works.
That justifies their being hired,,,no matter how bad it screws up the works.
Then after a couple of years,,and the corresponding downturn in productivity,,,they are replaced and a new guy decides to put it back where it was.
Immediate increases in productivity,,, and upper management is very proud that the new guys fixed the problem.
Sounds crazy I know,,,but I have seen a lot of situations happen just like this.

Tommy
That seems to also be the plan for Politicians and School Administrators.
__________________
Alan
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #19
RalphM
Senior Member
 
RalphM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 2,279
Default Re: Brake Drums...WHY Did "INNIES" Become "OUTIES"?

I was in the Army for 23 years, every couple years we would get a new commander, and most of the time Petronius was right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A006DAA3-8433-40A9-A4D4-C3B441A218D8.jpg (12.5 KB, 63 views)
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 AM.