Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
toms32

Default Suggestions on Battery Cut off switch

Hey guys ! I am tied of taking the cover off the floor for access to charge my 36 coupe. So some of you have a switch in a more convenient location to charge the battery or at least shut it off to avoid killing it ??? Thanks TOm
toms32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Suggestions on Battery Cut off switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms32 View Post
Hey guys ! I am tied of taking the cover off the floor for access to charge my 36 coupe. So some of you have a switch in a more convenient location to charge the battery or at least shut it off to avoid killing it ??? Thanks TOm

Tom - Like you, I'm tired of taking the cover off the floor to gain access to the battery switch in my '34 but I don't want to drill holes in the firewall to relocate the switch....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
russcc

The best switch is still the Cole-Hersee, now made in Mexico instead of South Boston. I make an angle bracket out of steel or aluminum and mount it in a reasonable convenient location so you can get at in hurry if need be. On the '40 its mounted on the battery box.
On a '36, some place in the engine compartment where drilling a couple 3//16th holes for mounting the angle bracket depending on whether it's a show or go car. If it's show, I don't know if they take points off for a battery switch. I would rather loose a few points than the car if I had an electrical mishap.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
cmbrucew

100 amp knife switch in the positive cable. My recommendation.

Bruce
Old 06-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
koates

You need a heavy duty switch rated at 200 amps plus because that is what the starter motor can pull on cranking a cold engine. Mount it by drilling a single hole in the metal floor pan in between the front of the seat and the rear of the battery access panel. The knob or lever is inside and the switch body is under the floor. Connect the battery earth cable through the switch terminals. Very easy to operate even whilst driving if you need to. My knob is under the rear edge of the floor mat and is not seen. You can operate it while sitting in the car and nobody sees you doing it. Ideal anti theft device as well. I have this set up in my 34 Ford V8. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
CaliforniaBorn36

koates, could you elaborate on the switch you used, pictures if you have them maybe? I am very interested. In an emergency, it would be best if the shutoff is accessible from the drivers seat
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
petehoovie

Mine is not a show car and therefore I couldn't care less about point deductions. I refuse to drill holes anywhere in/on my car. I'll find a way to mount a switch without drilling holes....We don't need no stinking holes!....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
Detonator

American Autowire makes a remote battery disconnect (Part #: 500834) that we put in a couple of cars that came thru the shop. There's a single tiny push button you mount under the dash or in the glove box, the rest of the hardware mounts under the car. We haven't seen one fail, and it sure beats having to open the hood or turtle deck. You can easily disconnect every time you climb out of the car, so it's a bit of a theft deterrent too.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #9
Steve in Denver

The previous owner located my battery behind the seat on the passenger side, thus my battery area is empty. I located the cut-out switch as part of the cover thinking any future owner could just replace the cover if they wanted to do an authentic restoration on the car, but I do think there was some room a bit closer to the back of the transmission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut out switch 2.jpg (82.2 KB, 106 views)
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #10
Steve in Denver

I hate it when it rotates pictures that looked straight to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut out switch 3.jpg (48.1 KB, 84 views)
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:19 PM   #11
51504bat

I placed mine on the passenger side under the dash. Pull it towards you to turn it off and push it away to turn on the power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch 1.jpg (24.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg switch 3.jpg (27.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #12
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBorn36 View Post
koates, could you elaborate on the switch you used, pictures if you have them maybe? I am very interested. In an emergency, it would be best if the shutoff is accessible from the drivers seat
I used an older Lucas switch which is the type used in Aston Martins and other English cars, hard to find now but you can pick any switch you like as long as it is capable of 200 amps or so. Its right between my legs (on the floor)just in front of the seat riser and easy to reach when sitting in the car. petehoovie, you don't have to drill any "stinking" holes in your floor if you don't want to, so do it another way of your choice mate! Regards, Kevin.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:17 PM   #13
Tinker

Just have one battery cable slightly loose. Tight but can be pulled off. Been doing this for over a decade. Still runs, still 6 volt. Granted it's a pain on a 36 with a battery under the cab floor. But very little issue with the later.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:49 AM   #14
Aarongriffey

I would not recommend a knife switch.
I worked for a collector that bought a ‘56 Victoria that the Screen Actors Gild bought new for Ronald Regan when he was president of the Screen Actors Gild.
It had a knife switch on the battery and it caused trouble to the point that the owner got very disenchanted with the car until I figured out that the pivot for the knife would often times not conduct well.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #15
ct1932ford

Mine in my 32 Roadster. I have also put them on the floor close to the seat, as you can see on the underside of this 32 coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (51.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (45.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg COLEMAN June 20 2015 004.jpg (51.2 KB, 129 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #16
tubman

I have a battery cutoff switch on my '67 Corvette small block. The battery is even more inconveniently located that a '36 Ford (I know; I had a couple). I use one of those "turn the knob" type switches everybody hates. I just make sure what I use is solid brass (you can get one from Amazon). I generally use mine only once a year, when I put the car away in the fall. I completely remove the knob and put it into the glove compartment (my anti-theft device). In the spring, I take the knob out, clean it up good, and rough the end of the bolt with sandpaper or something. I have never had a problem. I would not use one if I was using on a regular basis, but for my purposes, it works just fine. It is easy to use and a LOT cheaper than the alternatives. Plus, there are no mounting problems.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #17
toms32

Many thanks for the info guys Tom
toms32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #18
32phil

I have one of those green knob cheapo disconnects on all my cars.
What is most important is that they are kept clean and tight.
I have a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica I keep it in Florida and it's been there since 2013.
I have one on that car too. I use it as my daily driver for the time I am there. Never had a problem plus I unscrew the knob and hide it when we go back North
let the bad guys figure that one out.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:54 AM   #19
Kpar

I have done the same as Koates and installed a switch under the driving side of the front seat located above the back pole of the battery just a small hole in the floor. Fabricated a lever and it is hidden from view and can be operated from the driving position. I also installed a hot wire connection under the hood for recharging.
Lawrie has also done this conversion. You can leave the keys in the 33 & unless it's towed away it will be still there when you get back
Kpar
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:55 AM   #20
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonator View Post
American Autowire makes a remote battery disconnect (Part #: 500834) that we put in a couple of cars that came thru the shop. There's a single tiny push button you mount under the dash or in the glove box, the rest of the hardware mounts under the car. We haven't seen one fail, and it sure beats having to open the hood or turtle deck. You can easily disconnect every time you climb out of the car, so it's a bit of a theft deterrent too.
This is a good unit but only for 12 volt cars. It wont work on our old 6volt fords. Regards, Kevin.