Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2020, 06:56 AM   #1
Ketronj281989

Question Best electric harness on the market??

Hi guys,

I have been working on the 1936 Tudor Deluxe Touring wire harness. Inside the car the original factory wire harness still resides. It is in need of replacing. I am currently working to make repairs to allow for headlamp/brake lamp usage. The main fuse is blown, I am currently working to discover the short. Many frayed wires and broken insulation exposing bare wire that need to be addressed.

I am wanting to install a brand new reproduction 1936 model 68 car harness soon to make the car roadworthy. I am interested in using the highest quality reproduction parts available on the market.

Could you all tell me your experience and point me in the right direction to obtain the finest quality harness? I don't mind paying more if the quality is there. I have always been the type to believe "you get what you pay for". So ready for the expense to obtain the best authentic repro harness on the market.

Thanks,

Jon
Ketronj281989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: Best electric harness on the market??

I have used Rhode Island wiring, very good quality product.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
V8ER

Rhode Island Wiring
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
Zeke3

x2 on Rhode Island Wiring. I am thinking about lighting harnesses for my 1937 model that have additional wires for adding turn signals. I have not talked with them yet regarding these modifications.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
TJ

I have used the harness from Sacramento Vintage Ford. Great quality and a good price. You might want to check to see if your state requires turn signals on your car. If so you need to get a harness that has the turn signal wiring integrated into the stock harness.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
51504bat

YNZ Wiring
https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/
(909) 798-1498
Old 08-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
CA Victoria

Both Bauer and Sacramento Vint. on the West Coast build wiring harness. Bauer has a long history and supplies most all of the harnesses sold by the parts dealers, YNZ, Harris, C&G etc.
They can add any custom accessory into the harness. I have a Bauer with turn signals, electric fuel pump, fog lights, incorporated into mine.
Bauer is a good fit.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
x2 on Rhode Island Wiring. I am thinking about lighting harnesses for my 1937 model that have additional wires for adding turn signals. I have not talked with them yet regarding these modifications.
Turn signals leads may not require anything special by R.I.Wiring. If I remember correctly, when I bought a '40 front harness from them it was a standard extra-cost option offered on their web site.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
Floyd

My vote is Bauer which is Class-tech. Cris Olsen is the guy. they make harnesses for some of the good vendors. Buy direct from them and save money. Also talk to them about any changes you may want, turn signals, ect. They always include wiring diagrams that are most helpful even for these simple cars. Products are perfect in my opinion.
Having said all that, the real hooker on wiring in the steering wheel mounted light switch is the black plastic terminal block that fits on the lower end of the column. As of a couple of years ago, there was no good reproduction part available. All the wiring vendors were required to use the same wothless one as it was the only one available. This is probably still true. The real answer is to reuse the original phenolic (aka Bakelite) from your old harness and solder the wires from the new harness to it. This takes some work but well worth the effort. My 32 has Bauer harness with original switch plate and works perfectly.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
35fordtn

I vote Bauer, That Is what I use and we are a stocking dealer for them
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
dh

I always use tyree Harris. Good product, personal service. Advertises in v8 times
dh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
CA Victoria

Tyree sells Chris’s product line - Bauer
http://www.bauerelectronicsinc.com/
(541)389-7755
Old 08-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #13
DavidG

While I have not tried one recently, the '32 V8 Bauer/Harris main wiring harness is made incorrectly. The left side spark wire conduits for '32s came in two forms with one where the inside diameter of the conduit is the same from front to back and the other with a rolled-in circumferential depression about 1/2" from the rear end of the conduit. The resulting reduction in the inside diameter at that point acts as a stop so that the wiring harness cannot be pulled too far forward. Their hard core inside the woven end of the wiring harness at that point is too long and cannot pass the reduced diameter of the spark plug wire conduit near the end. The result is that the wires for the distributor coil and generator end up being too short to reach their intended destinations.

I brought this to their attention as that harness could only be used with '32 conduits without the stop near the end. The response that I received was something along the lines of "you have no idea what you are talking about", which, of course, put a smile on my face. I have not purchased any wiring from them since as the correct '32 spark plug wire conduits are a lot harder to find than wiring suppliers, like Rhode Island Wiring, my favorite.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #14
Tinker

Sacramento ford makes them by hand. Always been good to me. Lot of people have said good things about Bauer/harris too. Guess what you are looking for. Nice to have options, Sacramento in the past have been solid reproductions with new wire sets with original looms.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #15
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
While I have not tried one recently, the '32 V8 Bauer/Harris main wiring harness is made incorrectly. The left side spark wire conduits for '32s came in two forms with one where the inside diameter of the conduit is the same from front to back and the other with a rolled-in circumferential depression about 1/2" from the rear end of the conduit. The resulting reduction in the inside diameter at that point acts as a stop so that the wiring harness cannot be pulled too far forward. Their hard core inside the woven end of the wiring harness at that point is too long and cannot pass the reduced diameter of the spark plug wire conduit near the end. The result is that the wires for the distributor coil and generator end up being too short to reach their intended destinations.

I brought this to their attention as that harness could only be used with '32 conduits without the stop near the end. The response that I received was something along the lines of "you have no idea what you are talking about", which, of course, put a smile on my face. I have not purchased any wiring from them since as the correct '32 spark plug wire conduits are a lot harder to find than wiring suppliers, like Rhode Island Wiring, my favorite.
When David brings something like this to my attention, it makes me smile also. I see nothing but a credibility problem with Bauer/Harris, because of this. Opinion...
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #16
Clem Clement

I and many others here in ole Virginny use Tyree Harris
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #17
Ron Pilger

Tyree Harris has certainly proved to me that his product and service is top notch. I have no affiliation with any other mfr's. Ron
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:21 AM   #18
supereal

Be aware the many replacement looms are made for a variety on models of cars. Be sure to ask if there is an information sheet with the loom for your specific make, model and year included with the product.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #19
DavidG

Beware of any where "one size fits several" as there is almost no interchangeability of main wiring harnesses in the the mid-'thirties. Even within a model year the job #1 harness and last job harness are often not the same.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #20
Ketronj281989

Thanks guys for the suggestions on wiring harnesses. I have been inquiring to several regarding a purchase for a reproduction harness set for this 1936 Ford.

Appreciate all the help!

Jon
Ketronj281989 is offline   Reply With Quote