Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
jg61hawk

Default Is This The Orinal Oil Filler Tube

My 1929 has the filler tube pictured here. An older gentleman in town recently purchased a 1929 and his oil fill tube is much smaller with a cap that has two spring like prongs hanging down that push into the tube. He is having some issues with oil coming up the tube and out the cap.

I showed him mine and they are very different. He bought a cap from a vendor but it too has the two spring prongs hanging down.

I see Snyder's sells part # A-6763-ACC which they say is similar in size to the 1932-1934 models. Should he buy that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Oil Cap.jpg (41.2 KB, 234 views)
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
john charlton

Default Re: Is This The Orinal Oil Filler Tube

Your picture looks like an AA truck filler tube, if it is the diameter would be about 2 3/8".The car one is about 1 5/8" diameter . My sons woody had a lot of blow by until we put the larger dia. AA truck filler in . We changed the motor later which was a more permanent cure !!! . We did leave the AA filler in as it is easier top off the oil .

John in lovely summer weather Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Your tube looks like the one used on most of the Model B Fords (except the very early). Never heard that it was used on the AA.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
barnstuf

Your cap does not look right as the opening appears 1932-34 size. My guess is yours is not correct and your friends is correct as he has the one with a smaller opening. To control blow by in the era of your friends car an upgraded fill pipe with 3 baffles was introduced and is available from Snyder as part number A-6763. If his blow by is not severe the original style fill pipe with 1931 update would probably be his cure. If not then go to a breather.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:12 AM   #5
john charlton

Late AA trucks in England were fitted with the "big" filler pipe from the factory so I assumed USA production would be the same . No doubt many AA trucks here were also fitted with the later filler as it cured blow by on a hard worked truck . If you get blow by with the big filler the engine would be on its very last legs for sure !!!. English pipes were all one piece and did not have a separate attached neck where it enters the block .(more totally useless information !!!)

John in hot lovely summer morning Suffolk County England . A nice day to go for a country ramble in Maria my 28 Anglo/Uruguayan phaeton .
Old 06-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

The breather with the silver cap is the OEM for the Model A. The other breather is the OEM for the Model B. The Model B breather fits into the Model A block without alteration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1929 Engine In 190A (1).jpg (80.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Weeping Head Gasket (1).jpg (52.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
jg61hawk

Thanks all for the info. I want to get a Model B breather for my friend's car. My car runs like a top - no oil blow by no oil usage and I keep it filled to the "F" mark. I think this is the way for him to go. Where can I buy a Model B filler and cap like pictured? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
Thanks all for the info. I want to get a Model B breather for my friend's car. My car runs like a top - no oil blow by no oil usage and I keep it filled to the "F" mark. I think this is the way for him to go. Where can I buy a Model B filler and cap like pictured? Thanks.
To the best of my knowledge the large Model B oil filler tube has never been reproduced and you will have to hunt for one. Put a wanted ad here, call major suppliers that have used parts that wouldn't be in their catalog. Be sure to try rennerscorner.com, (734) 428-8424. I checked out the one mentioned in the first post. For that price ($123) you should be able to find an original. Also theirs looks to me like it belongs on a street rod. It is a shame they just didn't make a reproduction of the original. I wonder who makes some of the the decisions on what to produce both at Snyder's and others, certainly not old Ford guys.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 06-16-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
john charlton

Try the model AA truck club a MAFCA chapter,Neil Wilson in Boulder CO . Many AA trucks here had the A motor swapped out for the more robust B engine so I guess the same in USA so Neil could well have the filler and cap you need . They do show up at swap meets but sadly most have lost their caps .

John in same place same weather.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
jg61hawk

Be sure to try rennerscorner.com, (734) 428-8424
Great advice. He has them and I'm getting one. Thanks a lot to all.