Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
jg61hawk

Default Seriously Drive NJ to Gettysburg?

I have my A for 3 years almost. Put 1800 miles on it and have worked out the bugs of taking a stored old A back to life. I will attend the MARC Club in Gettysburg this summer and I am thinking I want to drive there from Central NJ.. The trip is 240 miles one way and will need the car to move along at at least 45 MPH for some long periods of time.

I think in 1929 these cars were intended as local transportation and never intended to travel long distances at "high speeds." My question is: Am I correct, should I drive and can these engines handle 50 MPH for 6 hours?

I have a 61 Studebaker also, with a 289 V8, and drive that to every show all up and down the East Coast. I'm not afraid to drive an old car, but why ruin it? The poured bearing in Model A's are vastly different from what I know. Tell me your thoughts. Thanks.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
WTSHNN

Default Re: Seriously Drive NJ to Gettysburg?

Stay off the interstate and you (and your A) will be more than happy.

240 miles isn't bad and at 45-50 mph is perfect.

Drive it and have fun.

-Tim
Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

The car was designed to run 60 MPH. Go look at the Ford ads from the day. Read about how the cars were driven in the day. They were running 50+ MPH on roads that were not much of a road all day long.

My brothers stock 31 coupe drove out to Wisconsin running 60 to 65 MPH and got over 20 MPG. If your car does not feel right over 45 then there is something wrong with your car.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
J Franklin

Easy peasy for a model A, just don't let the traffic push you. 45-50 is fine even tho the ads said they could do 60s they also could sell you a new engine for $25. with 1 day turnaround.Your goal is to get there safely and back home.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

You can draft behind my trailer, and break the fuel mileage record..

Im sure there are others going from your area that you can convoy with..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-23-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
wmws
BANNED

I drove mine to French Lick Indiana for the MARK meet out there. 750 miles one way. I went on back roads, took my time and had no trouble. 240 miles will be an easy one day drive. Have a ball.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
robert shreveport

Jg61hawk, do you have an idea what gear ratio your coupe is? If it feels ok around where you live at 45-50 go for it. Just watch your water level and oil level. My old A got almost 20 mpg on my biggest trip.
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
robert shreveport

Like J Franklin said don't let the traffic push you. That's hard to do I know, but still great advice.
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
RUNNERBUN

Click on my username and view my public profile page. You will find the answer there.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #10
TerryO

I drove my A from North GA to Lexington KY a few years ago to a national meet (300 miles one way) and back and had no problems at 50 mph.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #11
SteveB31

I have driven them coast to coast several times on the Great Race. many 500 mile days in a row. Only broke the car twice and that car has done the coast to coast great race 7 times since!!! Get er out and drive it. Start with short trips, then longer, then longer...... you will have a great time and make many new friends on the way!!!

Steve @ Bert's
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #12
Royce P

I drove a 1930 Fordor to high school. After graduation I drove the car from St Paul Minnesota to Dallas Texas in two days. We cruised at 55 - 60 MPH. We had a spare engine on the floor in the back seat.

If your Model A runs good I would not hesitate to drive it at 55 - 60 MPH the whole way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
I have my A for 3 years almost. Put 1800 miles on it and have worked out the bugs of taking a stored old A back to life. I will attend the MARC Club in Gettysburg this summer and I am thinking I want to drive there from Central NJ.. The trip is 240 miles one way and will need the car to move along at at least 45 MPH for some long periods of time.

I think in 1929 these cars were intended as local transportation and never intended to travel long distances at "high speeds." My question is: Am I correct, should I drive and can these engines handle 50 MPH for 6 hours?

I have a 61 Studebaker also, with a 289 V8, and drive that to every show all up and down the East Coast. I'm not afraid to drive an old car, but why ruin it? The poured bearing in Model A's are vastly different from what I know. Tell me your thoughts. Thanks.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
frankfalcone

Last year on my drive to Hershey the state trooper recommended I get off his road.Told me to take route 322 ,you can go 50 miles per hour there everybody on the turnpike is doing 80 . Next exit I left his road 322 took me the same time and was more scenic.
frankfalcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

I drove my 28 Phaeton 250 miles and stayed off interstate highways. I drove 42 to 45 the whole way and got 22 MPG. I don't like to push any engine.

When I drove my 1999 Olds 88 the 750 miles to Scottsbluff last Friday, I drove 55 to 60 the entire trip, and got 33 to 34 MPG.

In 1970 I drove my 1950 Studebaker from El Paso to MPLS, 1500 miles in 24 hours. Drove non stop except to fill with gas, and I would never try that stunt again.

Drive the scenic roads and enjoy the drive.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #15
CarlG

Our club plans at least one tour each summer that is 1,000+ miles. Always have lots of takers. I think we have a dozen or more already committed for this summer's tour.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:41 AM   #16
Ed Saniewski

Three of us drove from NJ to Oshkosh Wisconsin for the National meet a few years ago and that was 1300+ miles each way. You can do it. Just plan the trip on local highways and you will be fine. Most times that is a shorter route than taking an interstate highway and you can stop any time. I will be going down with a group from our club. Mabey we can meet up along the way.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #17
emf

Last summer my wife and I drove to Watkins Glen, NY, a distance of almost 200 miles in just under 5 hours. That included stopping for lunch and some sight seeing. Google says it should take 4 hours. I'd say that was keeping up with traffic... We stayed off major highways and had a ball... Go for it.

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #18
Model A Nick

Looking to do this drive as well in my 30, Ill take the back roads and enjoy the ride
Model A Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #19
eagle

If I'm in a hurry I'lol push 50 but usually run about 45 or so. Listen to your A mine tells me that 60 for very long would wreck it. My engine is very good but I want it to stay that way. I don't drive my modern car all out either, my pickup has 240,000 on it and I still consider it almost new. The distance won't affect the A, as long as you drive it reasonably and safely.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #20
jhowes

I don't drive anything more than 5 hours in a day. Therefore if you go 45 MPH you will go 225 miles, if you go 55 MPH you will travel 275 miles. It's not worth the 50 extra miles to go that fast in a Model A in my opinion. Take it easy, enjoy the scenery, and keep the stress off of the car. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #21
klawockvet

I have driven model A's in all states of repair many many miles. Some of them back in the day were pulling trailers. In the summer of 2015 I drove my roadster over 3000 miles generally cruising at 55 to 60, much of it on dirt roads between Missouri and California on the Pony Express Trail. I can't believe the number of people who worry about driving these cars. People have driven Fords from coast to coast in all conditions ever since Henry changed the world with the invention of the Model T.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #22
Special Coupe Frank

Before you try to do 60 MPH all day in your Model A, you might want to make sure everything is at factory spec.

If you're driving tired-iron, better keep your foot out of it and hang around 40-50 MPH.

There's plenty of US Routes and WPA two-lanes to get you to Gettysburg and back.

Depending on where you are in Central Jersey (what's your nearest town?), if you can get to US Rte 30 ( The Lincoln Highway ), that'll take you all the way across southern PA, and right into Gettysburg.

I know Old Henry touted that "the new Ford" was capable of 60 MPH, and I'm sure it was for short sprints. I think this was a calculated bet on Old Henry's part: in 1928-'31 there were not enough good roads capable for driving at 50-60 MPH for hours on end. AND Model A parts were cheap and plentiful then.

Ultimately, it's your car... engine rebuilds are anywhere between $2,500 > $5,000 if you blow it up.

Last edited by Special Coupe Frank; 02-23-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #23
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Before you try to do 60 MPH all day in your Model A, you might want to make sure everything is at factory spec.

If you're driving tired-iron, better keep your foot out of it and hang around 40-50 MPH.

There's plenty of US Routes and WPA two-lanes to get you to Gettysburg and back.

I know Old Henry touted that "the new Ford" was capable of 60 MPH, and I'm sure it was for short sprints. I think this was a calculated bet on Old Henry's part: in 1928-'31 there were not enough good roads capable for driving at 50-60 MPH for hours on end. AND Model A parts were cheap and plentiful then.

Ultimately, it's your car... engine rebuilds are anywhere between $2,500 > $5,000 if you blow it up.
Yep its all about common sense and listening to your car..
Old 02-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #24
Chippy Minton

Have you read the around the World thread? If not search for it, India is a good keyword to search for. At the present time their Model A is in a container en-route between Eastern Australia and Panama. It has Eastern Europe, parts of the Middle East, India and Australia behind it already. Your trip? Straightforward.
If your A is fit for a 50 mile round trip it will be fine for 250. Once the engine is up to temperature, you know it isn't leaking oil and water and all is fine it's much healthier to keep going than stopping the engine, letting it cool down and starting all over again. Personally I'd stick to the back roads and travel at 40mph rather than being a 50mph rolling roadblock on the Interstate where everything else is travelling faster. Take the back roads and enjoy the trip.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #25
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
If I'm in a hurry I'lol push 50 but usually run about 45 or so. Listen to your A mine tells me that 60 for very long would wreck it. My engine is very good but I want it to stay that way. I don't drive my modern car all out either, my pickup has 240,000 on it and I still consider it almost new. The distance won't affect the A, as long as you drive it reasonably and safely.
Yes listen to your A. It will tell you where the sweet spot is. My coupe is 45mph and the Tudor is 50.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #26
Mitch//pa
BANNED

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PQTfs9ti8R0

Old 02-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #27
Kurt in NJ

In 1933 one of the oil companies did a La to Phoenix " test" averaging over 60 mph for the trip in a 65,000 mile stock A after doing 500 miles on the salt flats non stop only modification xtra fuel tank, I doubt that the trip was on what we would call a improved road--- and I wouldn't want to have been the observer riding in the back seat
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #28
J Franklin

In the old days if you blew the engine (or anything else) every garage wanted your business, that has changed, 60 MPH at your peril. Remember you have to stop also.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #29
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
In 1933 one of the oil companies did a La to Phoenix " test" averaging over 60 mph for the trip in a 65,000 mile stock A after doing 500 miles on the salt flats non stop only modification xtra fuel tank, I doubt that the trip was on what we would call a improved road--- and I wouldn't want to have been the observer riding in the back seat

Why pound-on a vehicle that is now nearly 90 years old ?

If a given A is in "factory spec" condition, that is one thing... if it isn't, I believe that cruising at 60 MPH is playing Russian Roulette.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #30
John_Carter

There are a lot of nice roads going across southern PA between Gettysburg and NJ - you should definitely do it!
These pictures were taken on my way back home to NJ last fall:

John_Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

For the meet in NY this past Sept we had drivers from Canada come down.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #32
Aok

I also live in central NJ Hopefully exit 6 on the turnpike will be fixed by then I was in pa last weekend picking up another vehicle, out by harrisburg, not a model A and it was a mess traffic wise I went over the burlington bridge and came back over the ben franklin .
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #33
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I drove my 28 Phaeton 250 miles and stayed off interstate highways. I drove 42 to 45 the whole way and got 22 MPG. I don't like to push any engine.

When I drove my 1999 Olds 88 the 750 miles to Scottsbluff last Friday, I drove 55 to 60 the entire trip, and got 33 to 34 MPG.

In 1970 I drove my 1950 Studebaker from El Paso to MPLS, 1500 miles in 24 hours. Drove non stop except to fill with gas, and I would never try that stunt again.

Drive the scenic roads and enjoy the drive.
Drove to French Lick, interstate at about 60mph and got 21mph...was great, took to Niagara went scenic AND Intestate....average at 55...TOM BABY 42 miles an hour....common my buddy...lets drive that A!!!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #34
Jim Mason

I remember I Bought a stored A in 1974. spent 3 days on brakes, flush, fluids. drove 254miles home, 22mpg, averaged 43mph. carry a cell phone, spare tire, whatever you feel is the weak link and go make a story you can tell....
Feel free to start it "I remember I....
Old 02-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #35
msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mason View Post
i remember i bought a stored a in 1974. Spent 3 days on brakes, flush, fluids. Drove 254miles home, 22mpg, averaged 43mph. Carry a cell phone, spare tire, whatever you feel is the weak link and go make a story you can tell....
Feel free to start it "i remember i....
love that!!!!:d
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 02-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #36
Jim Mason

Everybody worries that something isn't going to go perfect. the good stories are the ones about the trip with the problems. mine for example. If I had driven all that way with out incident it's just a series of facts. when I add:
I started out the car had no power. couldn't pull an incline to save it's life. I stopped listened, it would idle great, I could even advance the gas it still sounded good. started out again and zip for power. stopped raised the hood and 2 plugs were dancing in the head. the old copper gaskets were compressed. I over tightened the plugs a bit and took off. 50 on the speedometer no problems with hills. 5 miles later the exhaust rusted through just past the manifold and from there back fell off. car filled with exhaust. I rolled down all 4 windows, took ot the front floor boards and completed the trip with my left foot on the firewall, and my right on the clutch housing.
That is a much better story....
So I wish you all eventful journeys..
Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #37
bettlesr

I've driven mine from North Jersey to Leesburg, VA for a show getting on route 222 in Allentown cross country to route 30 in Lancaster through Gettysburg on route 15 or 78 to 81 to 15 through Gettysburg on the highway all the way. Unless you have a good engine, brakes etc and maybe overdrive, stick to the back roads, they are beautiful.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #38
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Drove to French Lick, interstate at about 60mph and got 21mph...was great, took to Niagara went scenic AND Intestate....average at 55...TOM BABY 42 miles an hour....common my buddy...lets drive that A!!!!
But, Mark, you have a rebuilt engine and overdrive. Now, as Paul Harvey would say, "you know the rest of the story".
Old 02-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #39
Ed Saniewski

Jim Mason is right, it is the trip with problems that make for a great adventure and stories later on. If all else fails, AAA will get you home.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #40
Special Coupe Frank

Great Pics Jim !

Thanks for sharing !

Interstates these days are white knuckle, even in a modern vehicle.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #41
5window

Not sure where you are in central NJ- but I grew up at exit 5 on the NJTP and have lived in central PA for several decades. Yes, there are back roads but even they can have pretty hairy traffic. I strongly recommend you take a good modern car and drive your planned route first. Also, look around on community calendars and check what else is going on in the area you plan to travel. Would not be a good idea to run into "Farm Days" or a biker rally.

BTW, if you're not from New Jersey, most people tell you where they are from identifying their exit on the Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway. Just like when I lived in West Virginia, people would say what county they were from because most of the towns were so small.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #42
wmws
BANNED

The farther north you can cross the river the better. Lots of big roads and traffic around Philly.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #43
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Quote:
Well . . . Back in the day (1960s-70s) used to drive my early edition 1930 Tudor sedan all over New England. We'd cruise up from the south shore of Boston all the way deep into the state of Maine beyond Portland. Used the old highways such as U.S. Route 1. Much of that road then north of Boston was still ancient concrete surface. Chugged along in Model A Ford cars at 50-55 for long periods of time. Would have that car rolling at 60-mph on long flat stretches. To recollection, that old sedan just hummed along. Our present 1931 tudor is sometimes used for a breakfast run down to Snydersville, PA. Able to get that car up to a nice cruising speed of 55 on the straight road through the woods.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #44
CarlG

I drove my '31 Fordor all over Arizona in the mid to late '50s. As a teenager then I didn't know anything except "full throttle". The engine only had 15-20K miles on it, and it didn't get a lot of babying. It was kept full of water, oil & gas though. Full throttle speed depended on the terrain. In the mountains it wasn't as fast as it was on flat ground, but I suspect that I was in the 55-60mph range any time it was possible. The longer trips were usually around 300+ miles, so 6+ hours at a crack.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #45
Jim Mason

Btw, the 43mph included time to buy lunch togo, gas and the minor repairs.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #46
jg61hawk

I'm sure this is the way to go...drive and enjoy. Thanks to ALL who responded....certainly no one said stay home and wax the car. Runnerbun and Chippy I especially liked what you said, but everyone was so great. OK I'm driving...you'll see I have posted some other posts about working on the girl and she ain't gonna win!
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #47
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
I'm sure this is the way to go...drive and enjoy. Thanks to ALL who responded....certainly no one said stay home and wax the car. Runnerbun and Chippy I especially liked what you said, but everyone was so great. OK I'm driving...you'll see I have posted some other posts about working on the girl and she ain't gonna win!
Anyone who owns a Studebaker is already a winner.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #48
RonC

If you don't have it get AAA membership. 60mph will quickly let you know just how good your BABBITT really is
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #49
rocket1

I have driven to Macungie Pa. from Northern N.J. I stay off the interstates doing a Max. of 45 mph.Pa. interstates have a minimum speed of 40 miles per hour.The back roads are scenic which makes for an interesting trip albeit a little longer.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #50
rocket1

1957 Stude Commander,V/8 stick overdrive,thanks.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #51
msmaron

Quote:

1000% DISAGREE...drive it like you own it!! PERIOD.. all day all night at what ever speed is comfortable and NO they were not made for local driving...Remmber the 20K Model went all over the nation....OR A616 that henry drove....240 miles i one day trip and 45 mph is slow....no brainer. get in a drive the car...done and done....Im driving 750 miles to getty to get their...and you won't be driving for 6 hours at 50mph, you need to stop every 100 or so for gas....
National Facebook Admin.

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
Old 06-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #52
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
1000% DISAGREE...drive it like you own it!! PERIOD.. all day all night at what ever speed is comfortable and NO they were not made for local driving...Remmber the 20K Model went all over the nation....OR A616 that henry drove....240 miles i one day trip and 45 mph is slow....no brainer. get in a drive the car...done and done....Im driving 750 miles to getty to get their...and you won't be driving for 6 hours at 50mph, you need to stop every 100 or so for gas....
Before I fitted an O/D, I used to drive my '29 Phaeton at about 42 mph. I did thousands of miles like that and the bearings held up. If I tried 50 or more, I'm sure I would have been walking. At 42, I used to allow 200 miles per tank of fuel with a little in reserve (about another 40 miles). I get no enjoyment out of giving my car a hard time, burning more fuel than I need to and being on edge while driving. Take it easy and it's easy.
BTW, I've done several trips like Runnerbun. Don't be afraid to drive your A but I say "Don't flog it.

Last edited by Synchro909; 06-20-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #53
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Don't be afraid to drive your A but I say "Don't flog it.
Don't flog it is also the best advice I can give. Listen to your car, it will let you know where the sweet spot is. Respect your vehicle and it will serve you well.
Best of luck and enjoy your journey. You will be building memories.