Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Fairview

Default What is a fair price for my 1931 Roadster?

Hi All,

I've got to clear some space in my hangar, so selling either my 1931 Model A Ford Roadster or my 74 Series III Land Rover. I'll sell the first one, keep the other, as I like them both, but for completely different reasons. I need some help on pricing my roadster, would like to price it to "leave some meat on the bone" for the next owner.

The pictures are pitiful, taken with my phone this week, in a dark hangar. The link below has photos of both.

The Model A is a 1931, single sidemount, rumbleseat, that is unrestored. I've owned this car about 10 years, belonged to the same family prior to me since the 1940's. It was painted about 40 years ago and is very flat now. The repaint was green, but the original paint appears to be that beige/tan color- can still see lots of it around the interior. The engine, thanks to guidance on this forum, appears to be a "B" block with an A head. It starts runs etc quite well. In fact, I drove it 200 plus miles each way to Hershey PA a few years back.

This is no show car, I can assure you, but is so much fun as is. It is very solid throughout. I did replace the wiring with a correct harness, complete, when I bought the car as the original wiring was in poor shape. The front seat is original leather in worn out but usuable condition, top is completely shot and not original, bows are nice.

I think it best to leave it just as is and enjoy it. If somebody started a restoration, one thing would lead to another, for sure.

I have lots of records, books, etc, several spare parts that go with it. Sidecurtains are present, as is the hand crank.

If you could let me know what is generally a fair price, that will be a big help to me. Then I'll put together an ad and post on this forum.

I'm in Waynesboro, Virginia.

Thanks, Jeff

Here is a link to the photos:

http://milepost105.smugmug.com/Cars/...15269019_yazxY

Last edited by Fairview; 12-31-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: What is a fair price for my 1931 Roadster?

Did you look at Ebay or Craigslist to get an idea of what they are selling for?

"If you could let me know what is generally a fair price, that will be a big help to me. Then I'll put together an ad and post on this forum."

Asking potential buyers what they think is a fair price will most likley get you a low estimate especially with the limited pictures of the car.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Jeff, to me it is not what it is worth, ...but what someone will give you for it. While I realize that sounds redundant, the truth is no one can know the condition of the mechanicals at present so one should expect the worse. For me as a gambler I would say the engine is OK since it has been changed to a 'B', but then again there is a reason why it was parked. If someone were to ask me professionally what to value the car at, I would tell them think of it as a "molested car" needing a full restoration. Placing a $$ value on something without being able to see the chassis, --or look under the fenders is difficult at best but as an armchair diagnosis I would say between $5k-$8k which should leave something on the bone as you said.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Fairview

Brent,

I must not have been clear on explaining the mechanical condition. It hasn't been parked, I've been driving it for 8 years. I imagine I've put 3000 miles on it in that period of time. It has had the B engine for several decades best I can tell.

Thanks for your input. I did look on ebay, didn't see a good comparable- most were closed cars.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 12-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
peters180a/170b

Unrestored , Very Solid thoughout.... $9,500. to $12,500. i would place it. Closer to $12,500. and up if better pictures. Think about what just a repro body cost today. $6,500.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Brent,

I must not have been clear on explaining the mechanical condition. It hasn't been parked, I've been driving it for 8 years. I imagine I've put 3000 miles on it in that period of time. It has had the B engine for several decades best I can tell.

Thanks for your input. I did look on ebay, didn't see a good comparable- most were closed cars.

Thanks, Jeff
Jeff I read that but I guess it just didn't register with me. Sorry!! A running & driving car does add significantly to the value. Yes, ...low to mid 'teens' would be a comfortable place then.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Hotrodster

I agree with Peters180A, at least $10,000. Bodies alone will bring $4-6,000. To me the B engine raises the value probably at least $1,000.
Hotrodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Gumpy

unrestored cars are sometimes bringing a close price to restored these days...I think a new convertible top would help sell it....the car will sell itself it it is all ready to go and surviced on sneez-bay.....sell with no warranty expressed or implied rub it out you may be pleasantly surprized....dont be in a hurry to sell it I had a car sold for a good price and a friend of mine raised the price another 2000. the prospective buyer just didnt like the water stained upholstery...its the little things that make a sale!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
gweilbaker

Pose this question on the HAMB site to hit a broader response.
GW
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Fairview

Thanks everybody for the input. I will get some better photos and work up an ad- sounds like $10K or thereabouts is the right number, fair to buyer and seller. Jeff
Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Grapejuice

Quote:
Thanks everybody for the input. I will get some better photos and work up an ad- sounds like $10K or thereabouts is the right number, fair to buyer and seller. Jeff
I think $10k is a fair asking price. The seller of my '28 Sport Coupe wanted $11k, but took $8k. In the end that was fair for both of us, as it wasn't the car he claimed it was (it belonged to his late Father).

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

12-15
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Unrestored , Very Solid thoughout.... $9,500. to $12,500. i would place it. Closer to $12,500. and up if better pictures. Think about what just a repro body cost today. $6,500.
Yes Pete and that's just the beginning, add a few hundred for transportation then windshield and stanchions and rubber parts and handles and top assembly and seats, upholstery and gas tank and on and on. That doesn't include the chassis and fenders. Sounds like I've been there doesn't it. Happy New Year, Barry
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #14
Fairview

Hi Fellow Model A Owners,

I sold my 31 Roadster 7 years ago with help from this group. I am resurrecting this thread just to say I never completely got Model A cleansed from my system. There should be a nice little 29 Sport Coupe arriving here in a few days, and I'm right happy to be re-joining you all.

I'll post some photos once it gets here.

Best regards, Jeff
Old 06-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #15
Chuck Sea/Tac

They are "habit forming",aren't they?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #16
pooch

Thing is with an unrestored car, the new owner must ne happy to leave it unrestored and replace or fix only what is necessary .

If he pays 11K and then goes to pull it right down, he may as well buy an already restored one.

I guess 60 or 70 % of the barners here start off with basket cases and work up.

Once you have the first restored one , you can then sell it for a good price and buy another one you want .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #17
Kevin in NJ

Well hold on let us ask some more questions.

Lots of cars still run and drive, but the mechanicals may not be in the best of condition.

Does the car have functioning shocks (how do you know they function?)?

What do you consider the top crusing speed of the car?

When you step on the brakes how well does it stop?

How much play is in the steering wheel?

One way I gauge a car is by how it drives. Properly restored you should be able to hop in the car and run 55 MPH all day long and be comfortable.
If I am told the car does not have shocks and is being driven over 25 MPH then I know the springs are not right and the suspension likely has issues. A car would good springs is a nightmare to drive over 25 MPH.
Play in the wheel, well I have seen a car with half a turn play in the wheel get driven 60 miles to a car show. Yes, the pitman arm was about to fall off the car!!
Then there is the whole brakes thing.

So a running and driving car for 8 years is not a good gauge in my book. There are many other questions that should be asked. It is not hard to come up with $15,000 in work on many cars just trying to make them safe and reliable to drive.

What is the value, that depends on where you live and how much someone decides they want to have your car. I have seen junk sell for gold and really nice sell for junk. Just a matter of luck it seems.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
They are "habit forming",aren't they?
They are an incurable infectious disease!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #19
WHN

Driving down a country road, looking over that hood and headlights. Hearing that engine.

Any problems you have are gone. Grand kids in the rumble seat. And the waves!

Life is great.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #20
Fairview

Quote:
Hi Fellow Model A Owners,

I sold my 31 Roadster 7 years ago with help from this group. I am resurrecting this thread just to say I never completely got Model A cleansed from my system. There should be a nice little 29 Sport Coupe arriving here in a few days, and I'm right happy to be re-joining you all.

I'll post some photos once it gets here.

Best regards, Jeff
Thanks for the posts- just to clarify I did sell the 31 roadster almost seven years ago when this thread was started. Now I am back with a 29 sport coupe being delivered this week. This will be my 3rd Model A.....just can't live without one!

I'll start a new thread with pictures if anyone wants to see the 29.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #21
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodster View Post
I agree with Peters180A, at least $10,000. Bodies alone will bring $4-6,000. To me the B engine raises the value probably at least $1,000.
To me the B engine is not original and would make me want it less
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #22
DJ S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
To me the B engine is not original and would make me want it less
I agree.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #23
Slotblog

I have found over the last 50 years that old cars are as pure a supply and demand situation as exists anywhere.

And to be brutally realistic, the supply of Model As is increasing, as collectors of these cars 'head west" and the demand is shrinking as the younger folks seemingly have less interest in old cars, and actually cars in general. Buggy whip socket, slide rule, and typewriter collectors know what I mean, I suspect.

The situation drives prices down IMO... and it's not going to get better any time soon nor perhaps ever.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotblog View Post
I have found over the last 50 years that old cars are as pure a supply and demand situation as exists anywhere.

And to be brutally realistic, the supply of Model As is increasing, as collectors of these cars 'head west" and the demand is shrinking as the younger folks seemingly have less interest in old cars, and actually cars in general. Buggy whip socket, slide rule, and typewriter collectors know what I mean, I suspect.

The situation drives prices down IMO... and it's not going to get better any time soon nor perhaps ever.
While your theory sure seems to be valid, look at what a Roadster, a Pick-up, and a Tudor Sedan was worth back in 1967.

Now compare that price to the sales prices we saw in 1977. Surely you would agree they were more $$ than they were 10 years before.

How about 1987? Remember all the chatter in the club about how no one was interested in buying Model-As, and how the market was falling on them??

What about 1997 and then 2007?? All I heard was people want muscle cars and sports cars these days and no one wants an old car.

Yes, I have heard exactly what you have mentioned both in Model-As and even Model-Ts however it surely seems like each decade that passes by finds new interest, and a higher sales price than the average price a decade prior. So if there is truly a perception of less demand and less interest now, the previous 50 years of history with these cars sure does not substantiate that as being the fact in the next decade.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Gregory there was a time I would have probably agreed with you to some extent. However, I feel the opposite today. Let me say why.

I can't tell you how many young people flock around our Roadster with questions, smart phones snapping pictures, and approving nods when we have it out. They walk past Mustangs and Camaros to see the Model T's and Model A's and yes the Early V-8's. I went by a baseball game in session two nites ago and the kids on the field (looked to be around 12 or so) stopped playing and pointed fingers and hollered out 'neat old car'!!

Granted a Model A dollar wise may never see Boss 429 money but who cares? It's not about the money it's about having fun.

Another thing I've found with the Model A's is, they really don't take up much room in your garage. That is kinda handy too.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
mrtexas

Consider I just sold a fresh restoration with 0 miles early 28 roadster pickup with everything restored, replaced, lots of unobtanium parts, new urethane painted, powder coated, new lebarron bonney interior and top, $2k of new brakes, chromed, for $17.5k. Had it for sale last year for 6 months $18k and no bites and only one looker who wanted a Tudor. Asking price was $5k less than any other roadster pickup out there anywhere on the internet. Sold a 29 roadster for $18k in like new condition. Similar time with the roadster, one guy looked at it after several months on the market and happily for me he bought it. Advertised fordbarn, craigslist, hemmings, ebay and located in Houston,TX area. http://28fordarpickup.weebly.com/

Market for Model As is soft if you can find a buyer at all.

Last edited by mrtexas; 06-28-2017 at 09:57 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #27
SeaSlugs

Yes as a "millennial" (generation blamed for everything for some reason...) I usually give a quick glance at mustangs, camaros, novas, corvettes, belairs, etc as they are overplayed and not uncommon at all it seems. I love looking at the rare or the weird or origonal/restored prewar (not hod rodded stuff) or what used to be common but not anymore. When I take my unrestored chevette to cruise ins I get all sorts of "oohs and ahs" and stories as its a car everyone had yet noone wanted. My generation right now is buying their first house (not cheap anymore), going for masters degree (bachelors is virtually useless anymore - also not cheap), and or raising a family - (never cheap haha). Throw in a modern car payment, usual bills, and student loans and there is no time or money leftover for old cars till we retire. There will be a large gap in the collector car market due to the generation gaps it seems.

I think everyone young and old even if they dont admit it like looking at old family photos and generally lots were taken in front of the FAMILY car - it wasnt dads car or moms car it was THE car and part of the family. Many people think most of those cars are gone or non existent so when they see one in real life they get kind of awestruck by it. Now how many actually want to own one? Who knows - I always thought they were very expensive untill you do some research. Theres an old family photo taken 1928 of my great grandfather standing in front of thier flat in Chicago righ tin front of what i assume to be Dodge 4 door. I toyed with the idea of finding a dodge of that era but then realized I couldn't find beans for parts...

Maybe what you guys should do is bring all your old snyders, brattons, berts etc parts catalogs and if you get someone who wants to talk or seems interested in model A's give them your old catalogs to take home and thumb through. I get asked that quite alot "are parts hard to find?" and my reply is if you get a frame and a gastank you can buy the rest new. They always seem very surprised about that.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #28
ChicagoBob

Well, In 2011, I sold a Tudor I'd owned for 20 years, and got more than I paid for it, even with the additional wear and tear.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
WHN

There is a lot of junk on the market. A really sound car that is priced right will sell.

There like houses, you have to be realistic. There's an ass for every seat. I don't mean that to be negative.

Price and condition. You get what your willing to pay for.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #30
Dick Steinkamp

IMHO, Model A prices have essentially stayed with inflation since 1967 or so. My example would be a nicely restored, relatively common model (Tudor, coupe, etc). By nicely restored, I mean a stock A, one with all mechanicals rebuilt, body and paint and interior quite presentable. One that could bring a trophy at a local car show and maybe even score acceptably in a MAFCA touring class.

Using an inflation calculator I come up with this...

1967 $2,000 2017 $14,811
1977 $3,500 2017 $14,780
1987 $6,500 2017 $14,244
1997 $8,500 2017 $14,545
2007 $12,500 2017 $14,886

Just staying with inflation is actually pretty good for our cars and I'd probably expect the same over the next couple of decades.