Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
36tbird

Default Re: Low oil pressure

To those who suggest switching to an 8BA pump in the 59A, how much improvement do you think should be realized by that? I'm having the same issue as the "crazy model A".
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelacrazyq View Post
My plan is to remove the intake and shim the spring. It makes perfect sense seeing as how ford set the valley relief at 30psi, and 60 years of wear and tear would weaken the spring. I am using 15-40 rotella oil but from what I've read even that oil has reduced levels of zddp to protect catylitic converters. Valvoline VR-1 Racing oil looks like the best option( I'm sure we could go on for days on this!) but I am for sure shimming the relief valve so the pump will regulate the pressure. Awesome info guys, many thanks!
You don't want to just put a shim in. Take the spark plugs out. install a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the fitting on top side of bell housing on drivers side. Spin with 12 volts and adjust the spring with a shim, trim or lengthen to rise or lower the pressure. The pressure you see spinning with 12 volts will be the pressure you see driving down the road. G.M.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
To those who suggest switching to an 8BA pump in the 59A, how much improvement do you think should be realized by that? I'm having the same issue as the "crazy model A".
Before switching pumps adjust the relief valve in the front of the valve valley if your engine has one. Replacing the pump and the spring in the engine is weak won't improve the pressure much if any. G.M.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
Ol' Ron

15/40 oil restricts oil flow to the bearings which makes them run hot, Wit stock clearances 10/230 is best. I'm gona start running 5/20 synthetic. Hi pressure creats heat when it has to blow off the relief valve. If your pressure is to hi go to a thinner oil, the bearings will love ya.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
David Lien

Hi. All I did enjoy this thread.. I have a model 19 Oil Pump with a truck pick up. Is this the right pump for a 59 AB engine 276 Cu In??? Or is this the high Pressure Pump???
David
David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote