Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #41
mfirth

Default Re: A bomb hoist for the rear bumper

GB, ahve a "blast" lifting stuff with it. Interesting & good idea.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #42
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfirth View Post
GB, ahve a "blast" lifting stuff with it. Interesting & good idea.
For you guys that might like this truck the thread is " What in Tarnation"
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:47 PM   #43
GB SISSON

I lifted some fairly large engine blocks with my hoist today and two things... It needs the foot that I never did and a thrust bearing would help this old heart patient. I think I said it was 3 5/8 ID in the carrier tube. Throw-out bearing? I am ordering the crank up trailer jack leg right now.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-20-2022, 11:52 PM   #44
1952henry

Check Mcmaster Carr, if throwout bearing idea doesn't pan out. Not sure if they have thrust bearings that large, but they have many different flavors. Worth a look.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #45
Als48

GB, I admire your ingenuity! You need to rig up a starter motor to run that hoist! I put one on a Cushman scooter years ago and it went faster than the gas motor ever did. Just not for long, Ha ha.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:39 PM   #46
GB SISSON

The gearing is ok for operating with the crank. Not sure I want an engine block coming in hot and smacking me on the chin! These young whipper snappers thing THEY invented the electric scooter..... And I will check out McMaster Carr. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:23 AM   #47
Tinker

Looks great, super cool. Looked at putting a cherry picker on my f150. this is waaaayyy better.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #48
sugarmaker

Gary,
I havent followed this close. Probably late to the party. You say thrust bearing. Is this to allow you to rotate the crane when it has a load on it?
If so have you considered bearings and races from a wheel assembly? I used some large tractor bearings and races for my jib crane in the shop and they seem to work very good and can move easily with a load out on the 12 foot end. Rear axle tractor bearings were about 2 inch I.D. and 4 inch O.D. ish.
Just a idea for what its worth.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:32 AM   #49
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary,
I havent followed this close. Probably late to the party. You say thrust bearing. Is this to allow you to rotate the crane when it has a load on it?
If so have you considered bearings and races from a wheel assembly? I used some large tractor bearings and races for my jib crane in the shop and they seem to work very good and can move easily with a load out on the 12 foot end. Rear axle tractor bearings were about 2 inch I.D. and 4 inch O.D. ish.
Regards,
Chris
I like the idea. I'm sure an overseas version should hold up forever in my usage. And you can see my black carriage bolts with square nuts bleeding some blackness onto my rough cut side boards. For you I guess the boards should be planed if your business name will be lettered.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:50 AM   #50
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary,
Regards,
Chris
A good tapered bearing should be good for the "top" bearing to carry the load and allow easy rotation. But, the bottom end of the rotating shaft will need a bearing too. (Just think that the moment caused by the weight of the item being lifted times the length of the lifting arm will be carried by an equal moment on the shaft being rotated in the stationary member welded into the truck body.) A simple caged roller bearing (not tapered) down at the bottom of the rotating shaft.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:45 PM   #51
GB SISSON

Been a year or so since I started this. Lifted my 650 lb welder this afternoon. No leg on the bumper yet, maybe next weekend. This went very smoothly just the way it is, but there's always room for improvement. Been using old wrenches for bracing as I was given a 5 gallon bucket of big end wrenches after a neighbor passed away. The star of the show is this amazingly smooth and powerful winch. It is every bit the Swiss watch with it's fine toothed ratchet and the magical ability to easily lift that that welder and then effortlessly lower the load just by cranking counterclockwise. I have no idea what is happening inside that enclosed cast aluminum housing, but I do believe in magic now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welder on hoist.jpg (133.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg welder on hoist 2.jpg (143.3 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg hoist 3.jpg (125.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 09-25-2022, 10:50 PM   #52
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Been a year or so since I started this. Lifted my 650 lb welder this afternoon. No leg on the bumper yet, maybe next weekend. This went very smoothly just the way it is, but there's always room for improvement. Been using old wrenches for bracing as I was given a 5 gallon bucket of big end wrenches after a neighbor passed away. The star of the show is this amazingly smooth and powerful winch. It is every bit the Swiss watch with it's fine toothed ratchet and the magical ability to easily lift that that welder and then effortlessly lower the load just by cranking counterclockwise. I have no idea what is happening inside that enclosed cast aluminum housing, but I do believe in magic now.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:57 PM   #53
cas3

I dont see the " old wrenches" being used for bracing. am I missing it ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:59 AM   #54
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
I dont see the " old wrenches" being used for bracing. am I missing it ?
Go to the 3rd picture, click on it. Then stretch the pic to enlarge it.
Now see the thickest part of the mast just below the top-side-flange of the bed. there is a brace extending forward to the bed side.
More obvious us the black shadow cast by the sun. It appears as a diagonal slant from the mast to the body. Old wrench.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #55
GB SISSON

There are 2 wrenches involved. The long combination wrench to the bedside and a one ended open end below it, rolled around the base pipe and welded to the stake pocket. The stake pocket was already all patched up by a previous owner.... It's all just some hillbilly stuff cobbled trogether with what I have here on the place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrench support 1.jpg (108.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Wrench support 2.jpg (126.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 09-26-2022, 08:22 PM   #56
petehoovie

Quote:
There are 2 wrenches involved. The long combination wrench to the bedside and a one ended open end below it, rolled around the base pipe and welded to the stake pocket. The stake pocket was already all patched up by a previous owner.... It's all just some hillbilly stuff cobbled trogether with what I have here on the place.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #57
D. Jones

Good find!

Back in the 60's and early 70's I did service work for a local propane company. Every service truck had one of the bomb hoists to load heavy items. More than once I've wished I had bought one when they were available.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:44 PM   #58
GB SISSON

This type of behavior can be carried to an extreme as witnessed by this photo from James Wagner's 'Ford trucks since 1905'. Ok, and another, just because.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat in the air.jpg (160.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Cat hoist.jpg (143.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #59
petehoovie

Quote:
This type of behavior can be carried to an extreme as witnessed by this photo from James Wagner's 'Ford trucks since 1905'. Ok, and another, just because.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:04 PM   #60
GB SISSON

Thanks again Pete! I can see a Tee shaped foot or outrigger on the right side below the hoist.