Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
IndyA

Default Installing new Distributor Bushings ????

Friends.. Watched two YouTube videos on rebuilding Model A Distributors... removing the old bushings is simple ........neither gives much information on the Installation process for the new replacements. One mentions using a vice but that's about all that was said or shown. I have plenty of C Clamps; Parallel Clamps in a woodworks vice but I can't figure out how to use these and mount them so as to not interfere with the installation tool.

Can I use the old upper shaft (with the collar at the top-end) to be the "Pusher"??? Of put a washer on the top end of the old shaft to provide more bushing surface to press the new bushing in.

Your collective wisdom's would be appreciated ... and any photo's drawings also would be helpful....Thank you
IndyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
Conaway2

Default Re: Installing new Distributor Bushings ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyA View Post
Friends.. Watched two YouTube videos on rebuilding Model A Distributors... removing the old bushings is simple ........neither gives much information on the Installation process for the new replacements. One mentions using a vice but that's about all that was said or shown. I have plenty of C Clamps; Parallel Clamps in a woodworks vice but I can't figure out how to use these and mount them so as to not interfere with the installation tool.

Can I use the old upper shaft (with the collar at the top-end) to be the "Pusher"??? Of put a washer on the top end of the old shaft to provide more bushing surface to press the new bushing in.

Your collective wisdom's would be appreciated ... and any photo's drawings also would be helpful....Thank you
I’ve used an old upper shaft a number of times and simply tapped the new bushings in place. It’s easy to break the lower part of the distributor off, so care is needed.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
Tom Endy

Care should be taken when replacing distributor bushings as it is easy to crack the housing. See attached article that appeared in the Restorer.
Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1K-Distributor Cracks (Restorer Jul-Aug 2013).pdf (1.48 MB, 107 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:40 AM   #4
Lawrie

and you need to ream it after
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #5
chrs1961815

You need to support the housing very well to avoid cracking the distributor. I have seen many with a small crack arouns the upper shaft bushing area. I have also seen the bottom half completely cracked out!!!
Old 08-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
sofield

Quote:

Very simple solution: You need a 5/16 bolt or threaded rod that is long enough to pass through the distributor plus the length of two bushings. put a washer or a washer and nut at both ends of the of the threaded rod. If a bolt is used use a washer at the bolt head and a washer and nut at the other end. Make sure the bore in the distributer for the bushings are clean. put the bolt with one washer and bushing and pass the rod or bolt through distributor and put another washer and nut on that end ( do one bushing at a time) oil the bushing and slowly tighten the nut. check the (alignment of the bushing) To finish the job you will have to ream the bushings with a reamer that both Bratton's or Snyder's sells.
sofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
sofield

Quote:

Very simple: You need the following: A 5/16” bolt or threaded rod that is long enough to pass through two bushings and the distributor bore, two washers and nuts. Put a washer and bushing on one end and pass it through the distributor and put a washer and nut on. Make sure distributor bore is clean, oil bushing (do one at a time) slowly tighten nut. Make sure bushing is in straight aliment with bore as you tighten nut. Repeat the process for the second bushing. The last step is to ream the bushing. A distributor reamer can be purchased from Bratton’s or Snyder’s.
sofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
IndyA

Many Thanks to all Responders , especially Tom Endy, Chris & Sofield. Regarding the "Threaded Rod" method - From the You Tube Videos I got the impression that it was very important to do one bushing at a time using a shaft (maybe an old one) to keep the bushings aligned with one another. I'm not to sure this is a important requirement as the bore walls of the distributor would, I'd think, assure alignment and the reaming process would assure "alignment" Would love to hear your continued thoughts.
IndyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #9
JayJay

There's another trick to installing bushings. Whenever I install bushings (and bearing races, too) I put them into the freezer for a couple of hours beforehand. Yes, the shrinkage is minimal, but every little bit helps. Dry ice is even better. (Used to be you could squirt the bushings from a cheap can of Freon to chill them down, but no longer...)

For distributors, I have an old upper shaft that I use. Remove and reinsert one bushing at a time so that when you press the new one in you have the old bushing to guide you. Then pull the other and use your newly-installed other new bushing to guide.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:22 PM   #10
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Used to be you could squirt the bushings from a cheap can of Freon to chill them down, but no longer...
A can of dusting spray, used to clean keyboards and such, can get as cold as - 60F if sprayed upside down.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote