Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #41
TonyM

Default Re: Anyone else having difficulties with Mac's Antique Auto Parts?

A few years ago, when I got back in the Ford game, I was using Mac's, and also Joe's, Drake's and C&G. I had no problems with Mac's. When they got rid of the Ford Part Numbers and changed over to their own system is when I pulled the plug on Mac's. I have made one order with Mac's in the past couple years. Now I hear they have changed back to the Ford Part numbers. The damage is done. Joe's and C&G for me.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #42
H. L. Chauvin

Attitudes in any business organization, any military unit, or whatever, will always flow downhill from uphill; and changes in any group downhill will definitely always occur when any changes occur further uphill .... even for an entire country like the USA.

FWIW: There is an excellent old re-run movie which is a perfect learning example showing this leadership fact with a very sorry, military unit in North Africa losing every battle ..... one after the other .... experiencing major casualties with little will to endure battles.

Sloppy military uniforms, no military bearing, no esprit-de-corps, no respectable officer greetings with salutes, no respect for any superiors within the ranks, unshaved faces, dirty boots, getting up late, no will to fight.

One single, very small, teeny-tiny change was suddenly instituted.

The entire unit's 180 degree improvement came with just a one (1) person change uphill ...... one (1) uphill leader .... his name was George Patton.

I remember instructing and encouraging my children to watch this most important message of leadership in this movie -- just a few cans of old military whip-ass were opened and this entire unit was transformed into getting Hitler and Rommel on the run, in shame.

I never found it too difficult to use this same leadership example in the military or in civilian life ....... that is after completing officer training ..... and also after .... I learned how to effectively use a can opener.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-12-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #43
Fred K-OR

Answer to original question, NO, not any more than any other vendor.

That poor old dead horse sure has been kicked around!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #44
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Fred,

Good question ...... good answer.

We are all free to choose. LOL

Thanks.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #45
bobpo1

Great Post. I'm glad I read it all. Very informative, I still deal pretty much with Bratton and Snyders...................
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #46
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Marsh View Post
I have been a customer of Mac's for nearly 30 years....but now that Ecklers has taken over, the last few orders have been more than disappointing.
Missing items in package, items damaged in packaging, returns and exchanges taking forever to process.
They messed up a rumble seat upholstery order, sent the wrong color, I returned two separate packages, one with the seat covers, one with the side panels. Three weeks later I received the seat covers but no side panels...they still had not processed them in their exchange system!! I decided to order an new set, because the exchange process was taking so long. The sales rep said they would "expedite" the order to make up for their mess up. Found out today from calling to check the status, that it takes 21 business days to manufacture the panels....
I would think that good customer service would dictate correcting ones errors and rapidly as possible. But it's seems that Mac's has now grown to be too big for their britches.
I will now do business with a "little guy" that understands the need for good customer service.
Two years ago, I orderred carpet for the rear floor of our 1931 TS from MACs. Paid them $$$ for it. They sent the wrong item. Wont take it back and wont send a replacement. Have spoken to a dozen ppl there. Nothing.

Last edited by Skibb; 10-13-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #47
aermotor

Pay with a credit card not debit and then the bill can be disputed and no payment has to be made until the dispute is resolved.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #48
BILL WILLIAMSON

Aren't we through YET??? If someone has a problem with a SUPPLIER, just CALL him, It's HIS NICKEL!! If you don't like his service, deal with SOMEONE ELSE.
Bill W.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #49
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Aren't we through YET??? If someone has a problem with a SUPPLIER, just CALL him, It's HIS NICKEL!! If you don't like his service, deal with SOMEONE ELSE.
Bill W.
Although it's probably not proper to bash Vendors, This kind of information helps those entering the world of Model A restoration. It should save them from getting frustrated when buying parts from bad Vendors.

Most good ones have a Tech staff with a toll-free number to ask questions. Snyders has a good one. Tom Jordan.

Larry
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #50
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Attitudes in any business organization, any military unit, or whatever, will always flow downhill from uphill; and changes in any group downhill will definitely always occur when any changes occur further uphill .... even for an entire country like the USA.

FWIW: There is an excellent old re-run movie which is a perfect learning example showing this leadership fact with a very sorry, military unit in North Africa losing every battle ..... one after the other .... experiencing major casualties with little will to endure battles.

Sloppy military uniforms, no military bearing, no esprit-de-corps, no respectable officer greetings with salutes, no respect for any superiors within the ranks, unshaved faces, dirty boots, getting up late, no will to fight.

One single, very small, teeny-tiny change was suddenly instituted.

The entire unit's 180 degree improvement came with just a one (1) person change uphill ...... one (1) uphill leader .... his name was George Patton.

I remember instructing and encouraging my children to watch this most important message of leadership in this movie -- just a few cans of old military whip-ass were opened and this entire unit was transformed into getting Hitler and Rommel on the run, in shame.

I never found it too difficult to use this same leadership example in the military or in civilian life ....... that is after completing officer training ..... and also after .... I learned how to effectively use a can opener.
A good story and acting, but the movie "Patton" was ruined for me by the horrible reenactment of WWII armor with modern Spanish army armor. Not one Sherman tank or any German armor in the entire movie! It would be like a movie about Henry Ford with all the Fords "played" by vintage european cars!

For a movie that handled allied and German armor (not to mention a great scene of an air drop using WWII C-47s) beautifully check out "A Bridge Too Far"
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #51
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Although it's probably not proper to bash Vendors, This kind of information helps those entering the world of Model A restoration. It should save them from getting frustrated when buying parts from bad Vendors.

Most good ones have a Tech staff with a toll-free number to ask questions. Snyders has a good one. Tom Jordan.

Larry
I disagree with your suggestion that just because someone had a problem with a vendor that it was a bad vendor ! It was possibly a bad buyer that supplied inaccurate information to the vendor ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:16 AM   #52
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
there are those that will defend Mac's to the hilt.

there is also a Mac's rep on here:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...mac%27s+eckler

there are also those who prefer we not share our experiences with vendors

and last, others who say we should accept bad parts and lousy service.

You decide.
That sums it up quite well!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:23 AM   #53
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
A few years ago, when I got back in the Ford game, I was using Mac's, and also Joe's, Drake's and C&G. I had no problems with Mac's. When they got rid of the Ford Part Numbers and changed over to their own system is when I pulled the plug on Mac's. I have made one order with Mac's in the past couple years. Now I hear they have changed back to the Ford Part numbers. The damage is done. Joe's and C&G for me.
Ford charges the vendors to use their part numbers.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #54
ABento

Parts quality is in the basement for most all the repop outfits, repop parts for Chevy and newer Fords is junk,on the stuff they send overseas to have duped and the little people send it back with metric pieces, or the wrong size wire,the list goes on as many of you have seen so the only thing that will keep a customer is good service, I'm working on a Chevy truck right now and there has been some crappy parts my supplier has worked well with me on this.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #55
29er

29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #56
Kevin Marsh

Just an update...and forgive me for beating the horse a bit more.

Spent another 20 minutes with a very nice customer service rep at Mac's today. Wondering why it had taken nine weeks to process a refund on $280.00 worth of parts. I returned the items well within the 30 day return period, yet I was told they "credited" my account $240.00. I received no notification by mail or email that they had "credited the account to be used towards future purchases", I informed her I would not be purchasing anything from Mac's in the future. In the past Mac's would promptly send me a check for the entire amount of the items returned. Now it appears you must request a refund which is made on the credit card used to make the purchase. That will take up to 10 days now to process. When I enquired about the reason for not refunding the entire amount, the service rep had no answer, but said she put a note on the paperwork asking whomever issues the refunds if any additional amounts are due.
Looking on their website concerning returns, none of these procedures are detailed. Like they have changed the return policy without giving proper notice to their customers.
I share all this to hopefully warn those new to the hobby to beware. They are just not the company they used to be, which is sad.
Kevin Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #57
Eckler's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Marsh View Post
Just an update...and forgive me for beating the horse a bit more.

Spent another 20 minutes with a very nice customer service rep at Mac's today. Wondering why it had taken nine weeks to process a refund on $280.00 worth of parts. I returned the items well within the 30 day return period, yet I was told they "credited" my account $240.00. I received no notification by mail or email that they had "credited the account to be used towards future purchases", I informed her I would not be purchasing anything from Mac's in the future. In the past Mac's would promptly send me a check for the entire amount of the items returned. Now it appears you must request a refund which is made on the credit card used to make the purchase. That will take up to 10 days now to process. When I enquired about the reason for not refunding the entire amount, the service rep had no answer, but said she put a note on the paperwork asking whomever issues the refunds if any additional amounts are due.
Looking on their website concerning returns, none of these procedures are detailed. Like they have changed the return policy without giving proper notice to their customers.
I share all this to hopefully warn those new to the hobby to beware. They are just not the company they used to be, which is sad.

Kevin,
Can you please PM me your order number? We normally don't do credit on account for retail customer. Mainly do those on business accounts.

Email me direct at [email protected]
Eckler's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #58
Jeff/Illinois

A friend who restores Mustangs says that he is very happy w/ Mac's for Mustang parts anyway. Uses them and CJ Pony Parts exclusively.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #59
tinman080

I've only got 5 posts on this website which might make some feel I'm not qualified to comment , but I was purchasing T parts back in the '70's, and never had any problems in the old days. 2 years ago I ordered a set of T hubcaps from Mac's , they came quickly and were of superb quality. I ordered another set August 15th, this year from Mac's for a new car build that I had entered in a car show on October 10th. After 2 phone calls and 3 e-mails I received them 2 weeks after the car show. lol The last girl I talked to was very nice and I received then a few days later. Superb quality again, but the old adage ''once burned- twice shy'' applies to me now.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:32 AM   #60
1930marie

My experience as well with both companies - flawless! A&L and Berts are two other terrific companies. My orders are well packed and I have never received a back order. I ordered a floor mat (L&B) and it was perfect.
1930marie is offline   Reply With Quote