Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #21
packyusmc

Default Re: Intro from new guy

jm 35 sedan. After I left MPs and back to Division, I put in for a tour at Marine Barracks, Subic Bay, RPI. I'm sure you remember the liberty at Olongapo. I ended up at Cubi Point where we were guards at the Navy magazine (ammo dump) There were a couple of posts out there where we had a good view of the entrance of Subic Bay and Grande island. I was awed watching the Distroyers going out of Subic. They would be going pretty slow and then when they got almost to grande, the drag race was on. The stern of the ship would squat down and the acceleration was amazing as they left the bay. Fifty years later i can say those were great times, not quite as great then.
packyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #22
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboychuck View Post
Welcome to the group. I also remember where I was on this date. Sitting in a classroom when we were told about JFK.

Welcome! I wasn't thought of 50 years ago, but while driving my pickup yesterday I wonder where it was 50 years ago!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
felix37

Welcome Packy and thank you for your service!
The 38 Ford Standard 2 dr sedan is one of my all time favorite models! Looking forward to seeing pictures! The reason I have a 37 2 dr hump is that I could not find a 38 Standard at the time. (I helped my Father restore one as a little kid) anyway, looking forward to reading your posts
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboychuck View Post
Welcome to the group. I also remember where I was on this date. Sitting in a classroom when we were told about JFK.
As with everyone else, who could possibly forget that day? For me, tenth grade in New Orleans...got the awful news at lunchtime. Later that evening, my dad and I went and picked-up my first car...a '39 DeLuxe tudor. I was putting my first "super-tune" on the '39 Sunday morning when Dad ran out to tell me "...they just shot Oswald". DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
packyusmc

Felix 37, my step daughter lives in Chattanooga, we go there at least once a year. I think the area is beautiful and would like to live there. My family came from New Tazwell, Tn. Most moved out around 1895 to Oklahoma. It's a little late in my life to move though. Considering i have 8 grand kids and 3 great great grand kids here. I have always liked 37 Fords, my Dad had a slant back when i was a kid. I had a deluxe humpback at one time but passed it on because it needed much more work than i had the skills for.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by packyusmc View Post
Felix 37, my step daughter lives in Chattanooga, we go there at least once a year. I think the area is beautiful and would like to live there. My family came from New Tazwell, Tn. Most moved out around 1895 to Oklahoma. It's a little late in my life to move though. Considering i have 8 grand kids and 3 great great grand kids here. I have always liked 37 Fords, my Dad had a slant back when i was a kid. I had a deluxe humpback at one time but passed it on because it needed much more work than i had the skills for.
Packy, next time you visit your daughter come visit me at Honest Charley/Coker Tire I will give you the grand tour!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
packyusmc

Hey Felix37. The last 3 years we went to Chattanooga we took the tour at Honest Charlies. Probably will every time we go there. There is something new every time. We usually go at Holloween but also went this spring in May. Next time we go, I'll look you up. Chattanooga is a great town, lots to see, they didn't gut the historic downtown like they did in Oklahoma City. Last time we were there we discovered "champy's chicken" best fried chicken ever. Everybody ought to try to go visit Chattanooga at least once.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #28
felix37

Yes! Champy's Fried Chicken is one of our favorite lunch spots, we even took Mike Wolfe (American Pickers) there when he visited us last month.