Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
36 CS

Default 36 Ford convertible sedan question

I have a 36 trunkback convertible sedan that I have been restoring. I have a problem with the pieces that mount in the center [B pillar] to the top frame. They are not the same for each side. Would someone with a convertible sedan give me the dimension from the bottom of the top to the top of the B pillar? I do not have the windows in it so I cannot get an accurate dimension from them. I would appreciate any help. Thanks W.L. Donald
36 CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
TonyM

Default Re: 36 Ford convertible sedan question

Good luck with the restoration Donald. Any photos of the Convert Sedan?
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Vic Piano

I have a '39 CS, don't know if the dimensions are the same but, on the '39 the "B" pillar is 12 & 3/4 inches tall. There are right & left sides, they are identified on the tab that inserts into the top irons. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

I have a 36, but I may not be able to take measurements till saturday, although it is possible I will make it there tonight, can you post pictures of what you have?
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
36 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I have a 36, but I may not be able to take measurements till saturday, although it is possible I will make it there tonight, can you post pictures of what you have?
I have not posted pictures on Fordbarn , maybe I can get some recent pictures. My shop is in another town 1.5 hours away from where I live. I am paraplegic and the wife does most of the driving and to compound the problem she broke her leg and it is in a cast. I have a body and paint mechanic assembling the car to the point where we can paint it.I am going to try and install the mechanism that President Roosevelt had installed in his 38 convertible sedan so he could drive, simple mechanism.I appreciate your help very much. W.L. Donald
Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
fomocoloco

Can you post info you have on Roosevelt's control rig?
fomocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

I will have to work at posting the pic, the length is 12-7/8, works out to 13" from the top of the post to the bow

I have the cover off one post, there are adjustments inside --not so much for length, but to center in the window openings, you may have to put the glass in ---on mine the original color shows on the wood, the inside metal was put on after some final color was painted
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
36 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomocoloco View Post
Can you post info you have on Roosevelt's control rig?
The Roosevelt mechanisn was mounted to the left side of the clutch and brake where the driver could use his left hand to operate. It was made up of a pivoting handle welded to the floor. A piece of metal was welded 90 degrees to it with a clutch and brake petal mounted directly in front of the car clutch and brake petal. The clutch petal on the mechanism was adjusted such that it would allow the car clutch to disengage enought to change gears and the brake petal would not engage at this stage . Stoping the car the brake was engaged at the same time the clutch was engaged, all you had to do was to push the lever further in to the car clutch and brake. This would knock the transmission out of gear and stop it at the same time just as if you had a foot on both the clutch and brake. I believe there was a spring that pulled the mechanism back each time it was operated. I took some pictures if I can only find them. It is simple, just some dimensions and clutch and brake petal adjustments to make. W.L.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
36 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I will have to work at posting the pic, the length is 12-7/8, works out to 13" from the top of the post to the bow

I have the cover off one post, there are adjustments inside --not so much for length, but to center in the window openings, you may have to put the glass in ---on mine the original color shows on the wood, the inside metal was put on after some final color was painted
I will work toward restoring and installing the windows. This may be a good time to try drakes kit to restore the window frame . I understand about the slotted holes for adjustments and to be accurate this adjustment would have to be made. W.L.