Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
PeterC

Default Re: '39 pedals in a '35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
On the dual master, which one did you use....I was going the regular single route, but maybe not. The extension is great for not having another hole in the floor. Robert
Robert - my 35 uses a Dual MC for a 1967 Ford Fairlane
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
Robert Dip

DD....it was, wasn't it!!

Peter C....I always heard that it came from a Mustang...oh well. a Ford is a Ford. Thks
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
Robert Dip

Just an update on the '39 pedal installation;
Yes, using the lower rear hole is the correct position. The B Drake frame hole cut-out is similar to the original Ford, except it's a little larger. As seen in my earlier supplied sketch, Ford has a dimple cut on the lower end as opposed to a complete cut-out. I guess they wanted to leave as much of the frame material as possible...I did the same. Instead of fooling around with templates and center punches, which somehow never get accurate when working crawling on the floor under the car, I used a 90 degree angle drill with the proper drill bit size to match the pedal mount. Tighten the one locating bolt, center the mount and drill...easy. As for pedal alignment and clearances, it fits 99% perfect. I placed the original metal floor pan ( photo ) and as can be seen, no mods are necessary. It's only off a tad. On another matter, I did have to cut out some metal on the floor pan to clear the steering shaft...because, I installed a '37 steering box and frame mount. This set-up lowers the box and on the good side, gives more clearance for headers.
Thanks all for you help.....hopefully others can use this info....Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001dfg.jpg (64.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 006dfg.jpg (55.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Mart

Nice job, Robert.

On my 40 there was a short length of metal channel bolted along the bottom of the left x-member rail. I suppose it was to add a little strength to the frame due to the bigger cut out for the pedals.

Anyone else familiar with what I can remember? It was about 10 inches long, 2" wide and about 5/8" deep, and had 4 bolts holding it in place.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #25
40cpe

My '40 has the piece Mart described. It has a clamp that attaches from the bottom to hold the speedo cable and emergency brake cable in place.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #26
Robert Dip

A reinforcement piece ?? I do not have one on my '39, nor on the '40 rolling chassis that is shown on my previous photo. It seems to me that the 4 mounting holes on the pedals acts as a stiffener that compensates for a slightly larger clearance hole. Interesting subject, any photos out there to look at?? Could it be that pick-ups with stiffer clutch pressures needed this?? Interesting........Robert
Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
Mart

Mine was on a coupe - I don't have it any more, unfortunately. Are there 4 5/16" holes
along the bottom flange of the x-member?

I'm relying on memory here.

Mart.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #28
36tbird

Isn't the purpose of the described re-enforcement to beef up the area under the equalizer shaft used on the '40? A '39 with the direct connection to the throw out bearing shaft does not need that frame part.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #29
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
Isn't the purpose of the described re-enforcement to beef up the area under the equalizer shaft used on the '40? A '39 with the direct connection to the throw out bearing shaft does not need that frame part.
Yeah, could be. The mount for the equaliser was about in the middle of the strengthener. (I am going on memory, so couldn't remember the exact placement). I just looked a some pics and couldn't see the piece I am thinking of, but you're right, it was further forward than the pedals.

Mart.