Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #81
Hitman

Default Re: Ebay sales tax in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
They take a percentage of your sale, a percentage of the shipping, charge you a fee for your store (I think ours is the $400.00 a month version), and charge you a listing fee per listing per month (roughly $1) on a buy it now if I remember correctly but i could be wrong as my wife handles all of that end. They also charge a very minimal listing fee.

So if a small to medium sized seller has 2500 buy it now items, thats a $2500 a month bill (assuming they dont sell within a 30 day period..

eBay is a great outlet for volume, but after the fees and the typical overhead of a business added in it's really adds up.
This is correct, even as a "pays for the hobby" small scale seller, their fees add up! I sell most of my items on sites other than eBay. Instagram, here, Craigslist and others.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #82
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Florida has the same requirement as Minnesota and other states likely do as well. Let me guess who is unaware of that despite being a resident (evidently).
Quote:
It refers to the guy who lives in a state where there is no income tax and yet he still resents helping to pay for the services he receives from the state.

Well since I am aware of the Florida use (not sales) tax requirement, it's good to know you weren't referring to me even though I'm a resident (evidently) and your post immediately followed mine. Are you aware out-of-state sales tax can be credited against the use tax? So Florida may not get anything from an out-of-state transaction anyway.

Sure, I don't like paying taxes. Who does? But I realize they're necessary and if you read my posts in this thread, you know I didn't object to them per se. What I do object to is the inconsistent way sales tax is assessed on online versus in-person purchases.

In this thread, it has been stated the online tax is assessed by the state to which the goods are delivered. I would argue title to them passes when they are paid for, regardless whether that is online or in-person. I would further argue the state where that occurs should assess the sales tax. Apparently that is your opinion as well:

Quote:
In your example it is based on the long-standing premise of taxation where the goods are received and not a result of a recent change in Washington state tax laws. You received the goods in Washington at the auction and were assessed the sales tax accordingly. Where you ultimately took the goods had no bearing on the imposition of the sales tax.

Hershey veterans know that everything purchased at the swap meet there is subject to Pennsylvania sales tax and has been so for decades. Very few vendors charge for it separately, but the sellers are accountable to the State of Pennsylvania for sales tax on all of their sales of goods physically on site and it is enforced.
Arranging delivery via USPS, UPS, FedEx, whatever simply is a courtesy service provided by the seller (whose cost the buyer likely reimburses or pays directly) after title to the goods has passed. A car is the exception, which isn't really an exception at all. Although it is paid for before it is shipped, title has not passed. That happens when it is titled in the buyer’s name and in Florida, that is when the tax is paid. If eBay collects the tax, hopefully it will be efficiently remitted so the titling can go smoothly...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

And yeah, I still realize my opinion and $5 (plus sales tax ) will get me that Starbucks.

Oh, BTW, Florida has no income tax because we soak all those snowbirds who come down to escape the Minnesota winter.

Last edited by CHuDWah; 11-12-2019 at 12:07 AM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #83
redmodelt

https://community.ebay.com/
Old 11-12-2019, 12:01 AM   #84
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Oh, BTW, Florida has no income tax because we soak all those snowbirds who come down to escape the Minnesota winter.

Minnesota is 4th highest, but we have some great programs.

Not sure if this is accurate.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/reneemo.../#dc71f5538972

You do make up for it on property tax in fl a thing you bought and pay yearly taxes on. But well worth the winter tax!

A Joke!!! only certainty in life, death and taxes! even after for one. hahaha

Last edited by Tinker; 11-12-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:57 AM   #85
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Minnesota is 4th highest, but we have some great programs. Ya but ya make up for it on property tax in fl a thing you bought and pay yearly taxes on. But well worth the winter tax!

A Joke!!! only certainty in life, death and taxes! even after. hahaha

That's what everybody says but effective property tax rate is pretty close to the national average. I don't think it's much worse than other states where I've lived. Insurance is what's expensive.

Yeah, Florida programs aren't the best, at least in some areas. I think that's due more to misplaced priorities than to lack of tax revenue.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:02 AM   #86
Tinker

We can compare in private on pm, I lived there 20yrs. But I disagree.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:45 AM   #87
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
We can compare in private on pm, I lived there 20yrs. But I disagree.

Life would be pretty boring if we all agreed.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #88
Tinker

Life is a series of truths and some luck.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #89
Frank Miller

Quote:
They take a percentage of your sale, a percentage of the shipping, charge you a fee for your store (I think ours is the $400.00 a month version), and charge you a listing fee per listing per month (roughly $1) on a buy it now if I remember correctly but i could be wrong as my wife handles all of that end. They also charge a very minimal listing fee.

So if a small to medium sized seller has 2500 buy it now items, thats a $2500 a month bill (assuming they dont sell within a 30 day period..

eBay is a great outlet for volume, but after the fees and the typical overhead of a business added in it's really adds up.
I was talking to Wray about this yesterday and he said he is selling less on ebay and more on his website. I think a website to sell stuff might be the answer to this. Of course maybe people will be contacting sellers and doing more private deals.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #90
37 Coupe

Quote:
eBay used to be and still is a good gig, however I pay them more in a year in fees than I make as a income myself.. As a seller eBay has made the sales tax change easy. For the buyer, there was no warning..

I hope to, in the near future put eBay in my rearview mirror for the most part..
Exactly,no warning. I found out after I bid and won the part I had been watching and questioned the extra $15.00 charge .Seller also had no clue.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #91
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Exactly,no warning. I found out after I bid and won the part I had been watching and questioned the extra $15.00 charge .Seller also had no clue.

eBay did send a email warning to all users on Sept. 14th. Here's a copy of the email I received:

Dear Pete Hoovie,

At eBay, we strive to make our policies clear and our services easy to use. As part of that commitment, we’re announcing some changes to the eBay User Agreement.

Our updated User Agreement will take effect on August 30, 2019 for all users. You can read the updated User Agreement as of August 30, 2019, on eBay.com.

Key updates:
● The changes relate to eBay’s on-going rights and responsibilities related to marketplace tax collection.

Thank you for being a part of the eBay community.

Sincerely,
eBay Team

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 11-12-2019 at 01:05 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #92
Fordors

Early on in this thread Phil Swanson made it clear that this is not something cooked up by a state or eBay. It came about as a result of a suit brought by retailers trying to level the playing field and the court agreed with their argument. Of course the states will appreciate the added income but they did not initiate this.
On a different note anyone that thinks sniping wins them items on eBay is mistaken. It only shows no one else entered a bid or snipe with a higher value. A higher proxy will beat a snipe every time.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #93
Frank Miller

Yesterday in Massachusetts a guy got stopped for bootlegging liquor. They said he had 36,000 dollars worth and the floor of the Suburban had been reinforced for this purpose.
Always someone working a scam. Least he could have done was kept the inspection sticker valid.
https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/1...known-law.html
Old 11-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #94
ronn

ebay sales tax began in NJ in May- then took effect in NY in July..........

the easy answer for NJ is to get a Delaware post box and ship to DE and take a ride once in awhile.......................

the tax has curbed my buying and I find it a good thing. everyone gets less of my $
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #95
oldredford

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
we are bring taxed to death & no body saiys any thing the roads are shot the bridges are falling down & all that goes on in washton is this inpeachment bs
If you think taxes are bad/high now, if Uncle Bernie gets elected....
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #96
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredford View Post
If you think taxes are bad/high now, if XYZ gets elected....
Too political for Ford Barn. Don't get the thread locked please!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #97
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
ebay sales tax began in NJ in May- then took effect in NY in July..........

the easy answer for NJ is to get a Delaware post box and ship to DE and take a ride once in awhile.......................

the tax has curbed my buying and I find it a good thing. everyone gets less of my $
While I don’t have pricing for PO Boxes in Delaware they must be comparable to these prices in Maryland. Forget the medium size, you can hardly get anything in one. Stepping up to Large 11x11x14 3/4 costs you $566 per year and the largest size is 22 1/2x12x14 3/4 for $892. In either case one would need quite a few purchases before seeing any return on investment. JMO.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #98
jplawman

HEY PEOPLE == IS THAT NOT WHY WE LEFT ENGLAND. how do we as the people know where that money taken from you is going? IRS BETTER AUDIT E-BAY WHY should I pay tax on used goods anyway hasn't it already been taxed once before.
jplawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #99
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplawman View Post
Why should I pay tax on used goods anyway? Hasn't it already been taxed once before?
( punctuation added)
The tax is levied on the sale not the item.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #100
HD

MA. & VT have to pay income tax on E BAY sales, they get a 1099 form at the end of the year if they sell over $600.00, I have been selling on E BAY since it started, I am all done selling on E BAY
HD is offline   Reply With Quote