Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
onedon

Unhappy installing 39 brake bracket on a 36 ford

I have seen a lot of pro's and con's about this so I really want to do it once and mount it right. I have heard there is a template one can use to make sure the clutch and brake peddle's are in correct placement. Could or would someone have a copy of one they could mail me? I don't have a printer and I want it to the right scale. Thanks for any help.
onedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: installing 39 brake bracket on a 36 ford

This should download a pdf of Bob Drakes instructions and template for installing 39 brake /clutch pedals in your car.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1487299090

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
onedon

Thanks, I was able to put a pcs. of paper over the screen and trace it. Sorry to be a pain! Thanks Don
Old 05-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
onedon

I went out and am glad I checked the template against the 91-A bracket, the bolt pattern is to big and the shaded out area cuts out the whole side of the frame. Is drakes bracket different than an orig.? Mabey the computer sizing is wrong? Any suggestions?? How can something so simple be so hard! Thanks Don
Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedon View Post
Thanks, I was able to put a pcs. of paper over the screen and trace it. Sorry to be a pain! Thanks Don
tracing the screen won't make it to size. that depends on the display settings on your computer. you would need to actually print it out and it should be correct
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You could use the bracket you have to make a pattern. You should be able to tell where things need to be between looking at the online pattern, the brake bracket and the frame. Use a light weight piece of cardboard and make the pattern.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
onedon

That's what I'm doing, I'm using the bottom back hole for reference. Looks like I will only have to take about 1/2 " out of the top of frame. Guess I will make a straight line in the frame of bottom bolts and run the new bottom bolts in line with that. Make sense? I hope it will work. I saw at one time somebody had a template correct and would mail it out. That is what I was hoping for.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
That's what I'm doing, I'm using the bottom back hole for reference. Looks like I will only have to take about 1/2 " out of the top of frame. Guess I will make a straight line in the frame of bottom bolts and run the new bottom bolts in line with that. Make sense? I hope it will work. I saw at one time somebody had a template correct and would mail it out. That is what I was hoping for.

Richard Lacy who owns the Early V8 Garage used to offer to send a template for what you are trying to do. Richard specializes in updating hydraulic brakes and corresponding pieces on early Fords. DD

Richard Lacy, EV8Garage, 626-338-2282

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
When you traced this from the image on the computer screen, I'm not sure what scale your tracing would actually be. If you can forward that pdf file to someone near you who has a printer, that may give you a print out with the correct scale.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #10
mrtexas

I have done it and it butchers the 36 frame. If I were to do it again I would first fill in the 36 frame and then cut out what is necessary.