Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
wingski

Default torque settings

I finally found the torque value or tightness for the head bolts on my ’29. 50 foot pounds on page 42 of “How to restore your model A”. Is there a chart for the torque that is required on a model A overall? I really need a reference because everything seems loose on this car I bought. I searched the forum for previous information, but got varied results for the intake/exhaust manifold. 20 ft. lbs.? 25 foot lbs.? I have a tendency to over-tighten crap, that’s why I use a torque wrench. Help, I need info before I break something else. Thanks, Mike.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: torque settings

Just use a shorter wrench and you won't over tighten. Locktite will keep nuts in place.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
Bill G

Hmmm I just used 55# from the Les Andrews book that has the specs section in the back. But, 5# probably isn't going to make that much difference either way.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
wingski

A shorter wrench, huh! I went online and found a torque chart from Bratton’s Antique Auto Parts since nobody at the Ford Barn was able to help. I just finished torquing down the head, and I doubt if a single nut was tighter than 40 foot lbs. at the most. There was a little liquid by the number 8 nut, and I hope that I’m not going to have to pull that head and put a new head gasket in. If I do, I will use Apache sealer on both sides and put it back together. I hope they still make Apache sealer.

I was leery of putting 20 lbs. of torque on the exhaust clamp and probably only used about 15. Everything was lined up and I had put an insert in so it shouldn’t leak. The thing that has me freaked out since nothing I’ve found was torqued correctly is: What the heck is the inside of the motor like?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
Rex_A_Lott

Its normal for thing to need retorqueing, especially after a fresh rebuild. The head especially may need it again, before it ever takes a permanent set. Good Luck
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
PC/SR

There is no standard listing of torque values because Ford had none at the time. Over time, various values came to be used and commonly accepted because they worked over time on many different vehicles. Jim Schild's and Les Andrews' books have torque values scattered in them for various applications. None of these "recommendations" are exact, but are used because they work, and there are differences between the Schild and Andrews books.
One mistake sometimes made is to look up a torque value for a certain size and grade of bolt on one of the many charts on the internet and then tighten to that limit. That is a mistake. A certain bolt application may list a certain torque setting for a specified clamp load, but that setting may be all wrong for the application and may result in warping or breaking the part.
For myself, I just consult the Schild and Andrews books as guides and tighten to what has worked for me over the years.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
There is no standard listing of torque values because Ford had none at the time. Over time, various values came to be used and commonly accepted because they worked over time on many different vehicles. Jim Schild's and Les Andrews' books have torque values scattered in them for various applications. None of these "recommendations" are exact, but are used because they work, and there are differences between the Schild and Andrews books.
One mistake sometimes made is to look up a torque value for a certain size and grade of bolt on one of the many charts on the internet and then tighten to that limit. That is a mistake. A certain bolt application may list a certain torque setting for a specified clamp load, but that setting may be all wrong for the application and may result in warping or breaking the part.
For myself, I just consult the Schild and Andrews books as guides and tighten to what has worked for me over the years.
What he said!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:50 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I haven't heard of Apache, but I have a can of Indian Head sealer.

I always spray both side of head gaskets with Copper Coat.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #9
marc hildebrant

wingski,

With regard to your comment (post 4) that "nobody was able to help", I have to disagree as there were many good replies !

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #10
wingski

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
wingski,

With regard to your comment (post 4) that "nobody was able to help", I have to disagree as there were many good replies !

Marc
You're right Marc. Thank you all for your help.