Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #21
AGBill

Default Re: Got One - Now the VIN search

To address your original question regarding suggestions on removing the body. This is not an insignificant effort - I can speak from experience because I just removed my Sport Coupe body last week.
The biggest effort is removing the body bolts.

1. After 85 years, the body bolts/nuts can be rusted together requiring a lot of patience, penetrating fluid and heat to get them apart. An impact tool is also helpful.
2. Four of the bolts are carriage bolts with smooth heads with square shanks below the head that fits into a square hole in the frame. If these bolts are rusted to the nuts, when you turn the nut, the square shank creates a round hole in the frame. Now you have no way of stopping the bolt from turning while you turn the nut. I ended up bending up the outer edge of the carriage bolt head with various size screw drivers until I could grab it with a pair of vice grips.
3. It took me about 10 hours to remove all the body bolts......
AGBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #22
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert shreveport View Post
We all know different engines have been exchanged in these cars over the yrs. Is there an “accepted avenue in selling” after engine exchange. No one including myself wants deception but when selling and title change, what is acceptable.
Each state could be different. It’s like changing the color.

I just went on line and, as an example, Connecticut lists what you have to do.

I have a good friend who drove his 2017 BMW 5 series into a flooded underpass. The engine was ruined and the insurance company replaced it. Dealer did the DMV paperwork.

17,000,000 new cars sold in the USA last year. How many engines were swapped out, not including all the used cars running around.

It’s all paperwork. Take the time to do the right paperwork and you will not have issues.

If all else fails. Most states offer bonded titles. Or you can file a motion in a local court to have you declared the free and clear owner.

We are definitely making this into something it isn’t. Enjoy your car.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #23
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert shreveport View Post
We all know different engines have been exchanged in these cars over the yrs. Is there an “accepted avenue in selling” after engine exchange. No one including myself wants deception but when selling and title change, what is acceptable.
The proper procedure when replacing an engine used to be to notify the DMV of the change and the new number so they could update the records. You should call your local DMV and see what they are currently doing. As far back as the early seventies California was no longer registering by engine number and they would send you to the highway patrol to have an identification plate riveted to the door jam. Additional plates with the same number were attached to the frame. Attached is a picture (with a couple of numbers blanked out) of the plate attached to the door of my '31 RDPU in 1972 when I purchased and transferred it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5943.jpg (54.8 KB, 31 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #24
Synchro909

Why do you guys tolerate such a system? I'm 70 years old and don't remember anything like titles burdening car owners here. That means that for AT LEAST the last 55 years, we have not had titles. From what I read about them on this forum, they are an administrative nightmare in a country that likes small government.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #25
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
So why not register it in the State that you bought it from and then do the transfer ?
That doesn't doesn't always work from state to state. I bought a car that was in Florida and had the title in my name. When I had it transported to California I had to go down to CA DMV so they could do a VIN inspection. I made no less than 3 trips down there to get the title registration and plates.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #26
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
That doesn't doesn't always work from state to state. I bought a car that was in Florida and had the title in my name. When I had it transported to California I had to go down to CA DMV so they could do a VIN inspection. I made no less than 3 trips down there to get the title registration and plates.
You said the MAGIC word, CALIFORNIA !!
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #27
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Got One - Now the VIN search

Ditto on what eagle and Joe K say! I "know" someone who has done this before, no problem.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #28
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.M. View Post
You said the MAGIC word, CALIFORNIA !!
I've been told a past famous street rod builder intensified the registration and title process bringing in vintage cars from out of state. Major modifications like frames and power train numbers were not present and prompted CA to issue a number and those similar are being registered as the year either brought to CA or applying for unknown date of manufacture. I know of a 1949 Chevy PU bought and brought to CA from AL, and DMV registered and titled it as 2018 model year. I haven't heard what consequences he is facing with it passing smog levels but I doubt a 500 cu in. with a 8-71 blower and 2 4 bbl carbs will pass.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #29
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Why do you guys tolerate such a system? I'm 70 years old and don't remember anything like titles burdening car owners here. That means that for AT LEAST the last 55 years, we have not had titles. From what I read about them on this forum, they are an administrative nightmare in a country that likes small government.

We have fifty states, and are apparently "United" only in our desire in each of those fifty never to do anything the way another state does it.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #30
GPierce

I took my Texas title down to the Tennessee title office and 15 minutes later walked out with a new Tennessee title transferred to my name. Glad I left California years ago.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #31
Badpuppy

Back to the OP - I wouldn't lift the body, since the number may be unreadable, or worse, different from the title. The best option, since the engine boss is ground down, is to stamp it with the number on your title. Stamping sets are available, but pricey. An easier option is to order a serial number plate off ebay stamped with the number of your choice, for around $25. You could affix it to the firewall somewhere (make sure it comes with drive rivets) perhaps across from the patent data plate. I think this would satisfy most DMV inspectors. But show judges will gig you for it, of course.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #32
Benson

Before re-stamping ANY numbers consider this ...

1. Suppose Henry Hot Rodder buys a Model A.

2. He uses the body to build a hot rod and titles it using the number on the title which agrees with the frame/engine..

3. Henry sells you the Frame and engine.

4. You spend bunch of money to build a Model A and when you try to title and register it using the engine and or frame number the DMV finds the Hot Rod registered with that number!!

5 Who do you think is going to win that battle?
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #33
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Before re-stamping ANY numbers consider this ...

1. Suppose Henry Hot Rodder buys a Model A.

2. He uses the body to build a hot rod and titles it using the number on the title which agrees with the frame/engine..

3. Henry sells you the Frame and engine.

4. You spend bunch of money to build a Model A and when you try to title and register it using the engine and or frame number the DMV finds the Hot Rod registered with that number!!

5 Who do you think is going to win that battle?
The guy who has the Engine & the Frame with Matching #s.. The Body has No such #s on it..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #34
Keith True

In N.H. if you build a street rod you are supposed to certify it as a street rod.You do NOT use the existing numbers.I've seen it happen a couple of times,it happened once with me.I bought a complete chassis,running,with fenders and hood.i put a body on it and registered it.No titles here,so no big deal.A week later I was contacted about having the same numbers as a car belonging to someone else.The DOT officer that handled it at the time knew in his own mind what had happened.I don't think he even looked at my car,he had looked at the other car first,and explained to the owner he couldn't do what he did.He told him the procedure he needed to follow with a street rod and he went through it.As the DOT guy put it,paper stays with the numbers.It's really just an expression,as paper isn't required here.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote