Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
41Joe

Default Restomod site

I have been wondering about this for a while now. Fordbarn emphasizes on restoration, the HAMB focuses on traditional hot rodding. Is there a site for people that want to do a restomod? This topic seems to be all over the place. I know there have been topics on here about swapping to a 5 speed or an 8" rear, as long as you keep the flathead it seems to be okay on this site. But then it seems that wanting to put in a mustang II or a small block ford is frowned upon. Even on the HAMB it is frowned upon. And the HAMB isn't Ford specific. To me the term restomod is directly linked to the early Fords. I am not talking about street rodding either. That style to me isn't restomoding. Maybe I am wrong in this thinking.
Does anyone know of any good sites equivalent to the Barn for restomoded Fords?
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Restomod site

I don't, but they may be out there. The HAMB has a date cut-off, the items you list are after the cut-off date I believe. It has much more to do with the dating of the mode than the specific item. With all of that both sites are fairly loose on all of this and I think it is fairly obvious when folks attempt to go overboard on a total street rod type of mod and then don't see the contradiction. On the Barn most members are very friendly and try to answer questions that are way outside the guidelines! But there is a point where it is more than a single item or two and maybe a bridge to far beyond the flathead/era modifications.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
19Fordy

Not sure what "Restomod" means, but here's one viewpoint.
http://www.bbcamatx.com/classic-cars...resto-mod.html
I think the sites are specific to the type of car you want to "restomod". For instance: Muscle cars.
ww.autorestomod.com
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Ford Freak

The HAMB does indeed have a cut off date - 1965 . So , not all of the items he listed are after that . IE : the first sbf (221 c.i.) was introduced in 1962 .
Hard to believe that it is 55 yrs. old now !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Click the link below for many examples of what a "Restomod" actually is. DD

http://www.bbcamatx.com/gallery.html

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
woodiewagon46

Joe, I consider my car a resto mod. It's a 1946 Ford Station Wagon that looks totally stock. Underneath is a small block, automatic trans, 9" Ford rear, power steering, and power disc brakes. The only modern convenience I didn't install was AC because all of the AC people I talked to when I was building the car said that I would need to weld up my cowl vent for clearance. Plenty of room and cruises at 70. The only clues that the car isn't stock is dual exhaust and the automatic trans shifter. I can't tell you how many people come up to me at car shows and say that they didn't know Ford had an automatic transmission in 1946.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #7
Blake84

This site should be STOCKFORDBARN.COM or TRADITIONALFORDBARN.COM. I came on here with my Ford truck and these bitter old guys jumped down my throat. I thought we all just love Fords. I could understand if I was on here posting my Chevy but I am on here with "my team" the Ford Guys. Apparently, Ford guys need to go against each other and start arguing over traditional vs mustang 2 and flatheads vs small blocks. So annoying and dumb. I love all FORDS.

These guys need to really need to realize we are all Ford guys and if you don't like what you see close the thread and open another. Nobody is forcing you to continue and definitely not asking for stupid and rude opinions. I see classics with center consoles, cup holders, chrome tilt steering columns, electric windows, plush captains chairs with armrests, flame paintjobs with chrome wheels and I want to puke but its not my car and if the owner likes his Ford that way, than good for him and I am glad its not a Chevy!
Blake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:53 AM   #8
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
The only modern convenience I didn't install was AC because all of the AC people I talked to when I was building the car said that I would need to weld up my cowl vent for clearance.
Don't see how this could be true. I installed the inside unit for my vintage air on my 49 woodie hot rod on the passenger side upper firewall behind the glove box. Here is my 41 firewall behind the glove box. There is plenty of space for a vintage air inside unit here IMHO.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:58 AM   #9
mrtexas

I hang out at a Corvette C2 forum as I have a 63. There is much less hazing of resto-mod car owners there. I consider my 63 basically stock even though it has a 5 speed, rack and pinion, after market steering column and vintage air. The interior looks stock except for an after market column with a stock steering wheel. The exterior looks stock except for the non-63 fake knock offs. I don't like the look of a modified car.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:00 AM   #10
32 ford barn

I think there is a lot of the info. you want on Hot rod hotline. They seem to cover nearly everything.
32 ford barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:05 AM   #11
Paul Bennett

RESTOre appearance to factory new but MODernize performance of running gear anyway you deem fit.

I believe the 9th Amendment to the Constitution protects your right to modify your car without criticism. In the day it protected speaking out against fancy hoofs on your horse as well as Van Dutch striping on carriages.

Forum - can't help, sorry. My brother is restomod-ing a little 'Bird and seems to find a network of people for advise but nothing on the web. Oh - restomod isn't year or age restricted related, I know guys who restomod fairly recent cars.

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 12-22-2016 at 03:17 AM.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
woodiewagon46

Tex, as you know, my fellow "Woodie" owner, that big black uninsulated roof is a bear to cool. The unit I would need is the largest made, so in order to get it up under the dash the mechanism and hinge was a concern for the Vintage Air people. Rather than push the issue I decided to forgo AC. I drove my "Woodie" from NY to the Wavecrest "Woodie" show in CA. and with the cowl vent and vent windows open it was ok. The only issue I had was driving thru Needles CA at 117 degrees, I had to shut the vent my feet were burning!
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #13
d.conrad

Would this be considered a Restomod? It has late model running gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1492 (640x480) (2).jpg (109.9 KB, 100 views)
d.conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #14
41Joe

D.Conrad, I would think that could be considered a restomod.
Nice by the way
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:32 AM   #15
deuce_roadster

Blake84--I think you missed the point that this is a flathead forum, and probably why someone may have suggested the H.A.M.B. would be more appropriate for you if you have a sbf in your old Ford. Same reason there are no Pantera questions or Ford GT questions, it's not an any Ford product forum.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #16
WRA

HAMB can very tolerant to a point. Plenty of Resto Rods over there. Their focus is pre 64 traditional rods. The cars run the full spectrum, from textbook traditional to slammed and bagged sedans. Plenty of glass cars and Rat Rods as well. As long as you are not beating them over the head with the superiority of a SBC or Mustang II, you will be fine. The Mods are aggressive and will delete threads they see that are off topic.

Since my preference is stock to slightly modified, the HAMB and Ford Barn are part of my daily routine.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #17
d.conrad

In 1970s this wold have been called a RestoRod. I guess the new word is RestoMod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1507 (640x480).jpg (98.2 KB, 24 views)
d.conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #18
Ol' Ron

Maybe we should have a site for blue cars and another for red ones. Most of all non for the black ones. This site give the on looker a variety of options, and he can choose the path he want's. Kinda severs everybody interested in flathead Ford.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #19
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRA View Post
HAMB can very tolerant to a point. Plenty of Resto Rods over there. Their focus is pre 64 traditional rods. The cars run the full spectrum, from textbook traditional to slammed and bagged sedans. Plenty of glass cars and Rat Rods as well. As long as you are not beating them over the head with the superiority of a SBC or Mustang II, you will be fine. The Mods are aggressive and will delete threads they see that are off topic.

Since my preference is stock to slightly modified, the HAMB and Ford Barn are part of my daily routine.
To a point. A post I made about FI got deleted.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #20
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Maybe we should have a site for blue cars and another for red ones. Most of all non for the black ones. This site give the on looker a variety of options, and he can choose the path he want's. Kinda severs everybody interested in flathead Ford.
..........and in this PC world we live in may be a site for "gay cars" and "non gay cars"

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote