Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Trekemeyer

Default What year motor

I have a 1937 ford pickup that the bell housing number is 18 -109 that tells me that is a 1934 but the motor looks original so how can I find out what year it is so I can clean out the pan and get the right gasket thanks Tom the head bolts are 21
Trekemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
flatford8

Default Re: What year motor

Mac Vanpelts website. Lots of info.... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
ford38v8

The bell housing number is on the transmission bell, not the block. A '37 engine is identifiable by the lower front location of the water pumps, while also having 21 studs. If used with heads having integral water pumps, this block will have block off plates covering those block mounts for water pumps.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Try this:

If there are 21 studs the block was built 1932 to 1938. The transition to 24 studs was late in 1938. Check the water petcocks on the front of the block next to where the lower hose from the radiator enters either an inlet fitting (1936 and earlier) or the water pump (1937 and later). It the petcocks point straight down it is a 1932 block. If the block is not a 1932 next look for a vent from the crankcase area out through the front corner of the oil pan. If there is no vent the block is 1933-34. If there is a vent it is 1935 or later. As a matter of interest, the 1936 engines were the first to use insert bearings. Both insert and babbitt bearings were used throughout 1936. The insert bearing engines can be identified by LB cast at the top of the left front face of the block or by the letters LB stamped into the surface where the intake manifold attaches. Some engines were not stamped and in other cases people tried to inflate the price of their blocks by stamping LB into them when they were sold. Be careful. Now check for the location of the water pumps. If the water pumps mount on the block the engine is 1937 or later. All engines beginning in 1937 were inserts. Frequently you will encounter a 1937 block with factory block off plates held on by two bolts over the water pump passage at the front of the block as it was common for Ford dealers to install this engine as a replacement in the earlier cars. Of course there will be slight transition periods at model change over with the older blocks usually going into the commercial vehicles. There may be subtle differences between the 1933-34 and the 1935-36 engines but I am knowledgeable enough about these years to know what they are. The casting numbers on the flywheel housing will also help identify the exact year of the engine. Post what you find and someone can probably further identify the engine.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote