Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #141
t-head

Default Re: Model T Racing Thread

This photograph of Carl Mayfield of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with his #C-13 Frontenac known as the Mayfield Special was taken at the Kansas State Fairgrounds, Hutchinson, Kansas on July 4, 1934. Charles Pauley collection.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2011 at 11:01 AM.
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #142
t-head

Charles Leroy Pauley was born on December 31, 1912 at Herington, Kansas. As a teenager, he remembers watching such drivers as John Gerber and “Dad” Harrier race at Abilene, Kansas when he attended the races there with his uncle, Henry George Pauley (1897-1962).

Henry Pauley built a bobtail racing car and attempted to copy John Gerber’s successful machine as closely as possible. Pauley found Gerber willing to share his knowledge and they visited for hours at a time about what Pauley would need to do to build a competitive racing car. Pauley’s bobtail utilized a 4-cylinder Chevrolet engine with an Oldsmobile head which increased the compression and had larger valves than a stock Chevrolet head. It was painted dark blue with red lettering.

Charles Pauley raced from 1932 through 1935 spending most of that time in his uncle’s #14 bobtail Chevrolet.

Some of the later races were in a white #28 Frontenac that Henry purchased from Jim White shortly after White moved to Herington, Kansas.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #143
Buildy

T-Head,

Did you see the Mercer Racer in this thread on the last page?

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...?t=2361&page=5
Buildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #144
t-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildy View Post
T-Head,

Did you see the Mercer Racer in this thread on the last page?

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...?t=2361&page=5
Buildy thanks, I did, it turns out to be one that I have a different photo of the other side. I reposted it and this photo on Kurtis's HAMB racing site.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...80814&page=190
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #145
Buildy

Here are photos I took of the hand built Model T racer at the Stan Lobitz racing movie Party a couple years ago.

Car raced in the Carolinas of all places... I Don`t have any history on it,though.

Bodywork was made from old signs-it says Quakerstate on the inside of cowl IIRC....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/millerr...53037/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/millerr...n/photostream/

Last edited by Buildy; 06-18-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #146
Buildy

Not sure where this story should go,but T-enthusiasts should check it out-I found it on the HAMB...

http://www.jessicaryanphotography.co...boutTheCar.htm
Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #147
s1b

Very cool car!! Do you have more photos of it?

s1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #148
Buildy

Sorry that`s all of the photos I have of it.

It is now in the EMMR at Latimore Valley PA on loan.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #149
t-head

Buildy, thanks so much for the posts. I know your busy with sprint cars and midgets put post some more if you have anything and the time.

Any of you that are keeping up with this thread please post some racing info or pictures if you can.

Here are a couple of photos of that car in the museum.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #150
t-head

This is a really neat adventure with a speedster that you just have to read. Buildy posted it above and there is another link to it here. They have also posted lot's of photos.

Trip of a Lifetime - By: Matt Ryan

Three years ago, my wife and I were on our way to Northern Oregon for a car tour. It was a long drive from California and our little four-cylinder Toyota was chugging over the Siskyous pulling our Model T behind us. Somehow along the drive, we began talking about Alaska and how great it would be to spend a month driving a Model T down the Alaskan Highway. The prospect of such a long trip was so exciting, but seemed so impossible for two newly weds who just bought their first house. We couldn’t wait for retirement to take this trip. By the time we arrived in Northern Oregon, we had our trip planned.

With Jess just starting law school, we had four years to prepare for our trip of a lifetime. We will take the ferry up to Whittier, Alaska. Then we will drive back to Seattle in our Model T Speedster that I built in High School. We are taking a primitive car with no top or windshield exposing us to all the elements. It wouldn’t be right to stay in hotels, so we decided we would camp the entire way home. We really want to “rough it.” I designed and built an aluminum teardrop trailer to tow behind the Model T that only weighs 450 pounds. This will give us a dry place to stay as we expect to encounter plenty of rain.

Three years have now passed and we are ready. We have purchased our ferry tickets and there is no turning back. We have saved up plenty of money to fund our trip and Jess has now graduated from Law School. As soon as she takes the BAR, we will head for Seattle to begin our journey. It will be just the two of us, my tool bag, our HCCA directory, and Henry’s fliver towing the aluminum tear drop trailer I built just for the occasion. Six days on the ferry, 3500 miles in the Model T, and 100,000 pictures later, our one-month trip of a lifetime will be over.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #151
MrModelT

Murry Fharnstock's book "Model T Speed Secrets" is a "Bible" for speedster building...I used it almost exclusively when building my '26 Roadster.
MrModelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #152
t-head

I have tried to cover Roof and Rajo heads as well as I can other than one Rajo model I am looking for some information on.

So I am going to show you the next head I have in mind as again I am trying to start with the early makers first. This head is the Craig Hunt SOHC 16-valve head. I have not had any experience with one nor have I seen one in person. Based on what I have observed it looks like it had the potential to work well if it was manufactured to a good standard.

The manufacturer stated that it was only meant for speed-cars or racing so don't let the single chain which looks small fool you into thinking it would break in no time. The chain is not much smaller than a motorcycle chain of the time which had to transmit 5-15 HP in the dirt and dust. They stated that it only took 1/2 HP to drive it, which could be handled by a small chain that was maintained and oiled regularly. I am not saying it would last forever but in racing it and the sprockets could be changed regularly and oiled well before each race, which usually were not all that long. If the engine has a pressurized oiling system a chain oiler could be devised although it would be a total loss. Back in this period engines and machinery leaked a lot so it would not have been a concern then.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #153
t-head

I am going to be really busy for the next two days with a project and will not be able to post. So I am hoping that you, the readers will start to contribute more. I does not take all that long and we are looking forward to hearing and seeing what you may have going on or know about. So please post what you think we will be interested in for all of us to learn more about T racing. T-Head

Last edited by t-head; 06-19-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #154
Roadster62

I've only seen one Craig-Hunt head, that was back in 1970 in the Hershey flea market. Tommy from Antique Auto Parts in Texas bought it for $900.00, that was HUGE money at the time, but one or the first overheads if not THE first for T's.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #155
twin6

T speedster, c. 1917.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut down.jpg (70.0 KB, 77 views)
twin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #156
Kurtis

"GOLDEN T"

Owned by Arthur E. George, a typical English sportsman of the day, he was initially a champion cyclist in South Africa before the turn of the century and later served in the Second Boer War.

Returning to England in 1902, he formed the company George & Jobling with Robert Lee Jobling, at first manufacturing bicycles and later motor cars and automobile bodies. The company were also agents for other brands namely Argil, Darracq, Hillman, Fordson and Ford. George & Jobling are also credited as inventing the forerunner of the trollyjack and the breakdown truck and survived at the same premises for over 60 years.

A.E.George was also an active racing car driver achieving his best result in 1908 placing third driving a Darracq in the RAC Tourist Trophy race. He also won many races at Brooklands, Saltburn Sands and hillclimb events in a stripped down Model T Ford. This same car would later be fitted with a brass body and was recently restored after being taken from it's long hibernation in an English barn. It was also the subject of a television show on the BBC Network.

During this time George was also an accomplished aviator gaining his flying certificate in 1910 and later designing his own aircraft until a crash at an airshow and a rejection by the banks for further funds put a stop to such ambitious pursuits. Although this was a set back, he didn't stop flying. He also served with distinction in both World Wars.

A.E.George passed away in 1951 and was awarded a posthumous Silver Medal from the Royal Aero Club.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gt4.jpg (88.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg gt5.jpg (64.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg gt3.jpg (69.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg gt2.jpg (38.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg gt1.jpg (41.6 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Kurtis; 06-20-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Kurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #157
Kurtis

Long time Bonneville racer Seth Hammond's Fronty headed T. The article appeared in HOTROD Magazine in 1975.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh5.jpg (60.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg sh6.jpg (69.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg sh7.jpg (69.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg sh8.jpg (76.5 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg sh1.jpg (72.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg sh2.jpg (84.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg sh3.jpg (36.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg sh4.jpg (49.3 KB, 120 views)
Kurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #158
t-head

Posey Reeves of Oklahoma City, is shown here in his first racing car. He raced at the the Kansas State Fair races. He was a guy that supposely always ran last, just out to have fun. He had a wrecking yard in Oklahoma City".

Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #159
t-head

This panoramic photograph was taken with a cirkut camera at the automobile races held on September 11-12, 1925 at the Kiowa County Fair at Hobart, Oklahoma. Adults had paid $1 to view the races from the grandstand while children got in for 25 cents.

The car at the far left is unidentified.

The car second from left is the #15 owned and driven by John Gerber of Meriden, Kansas who is shown standing just behind the car. Gerber set the fastest time of 33 seconds flat in time trials and was leading a race on Saturday afternoon (September 12th) when he punctured a tire and rolled the car. He was ejected from the car and injured his shoulder in what was the worst crash of his racing career.

The #5 car third from left is a Dodge owned by “Red” Gardner and driven by Sam Jewell both of Duncan, Oklahoma. That is Mrs. Jewell and Mrs. Gardner standing beside the car.

The fourth car from left is unidentified.

The #7 car fifth car from left is owned and driven by Phineas Comador “Dad” Harrier of Hiawatha, Kansas.

Neither the driver nor owner of the #6 Pooles special, sixth from left, are identified.

The #7 car seventh from left was owned and driven by “Red” Gardner of Duncan, Oklahoma.

The eighth car from left is a Chevrolet driven by Henry “Wingey” Williams, a one-armed driver from Wichita Falls, Texas.

The #400 car ninth from left is an over-head cam Chevrolet driven by George Souders of Indianapolis , Indiana. Souders went on to win the 1927 Indianapolis “500” and finished third in his only other start in that race in 1928.

The #28 car tenth from left is a Fronty Ford driven by Al Kocpke of Topeka, Kansas. The number does appear at first to be “22” in this photo but, upon close examination it is obvious that the number on the car had been altered from the #22 it once carried to #28.

The flagman standing on the infield of the racetrack and to the far right in the photo is George Hatton who co-promoted these races with Tim Hurst.
15 cars were entered in these races at Hobart with 12 cars actually competing. Besides the cars identified above, others known to have been entered in these races were driven by Harley Wells of Miami, Oklahoma; Gib Bryan and John Busby both of Hobart, Oklahoma; John Boling of Tulsa, Oklahoma; and Harvey Vance whose hometown is unknown.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #160
FL&WVMIKE

MAN ! ...................
This "T" Racing Thread is fantastic. It makes me want to go out and start gathering up "T" parts to build a speedster ! ........If I ever get caught up ! ......
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote