Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
PeteVS

Default Getting paint inside boxed in areas?

I recently dragged a new roadster body home from the good people in Brookville Ohio. I'm wondering is there's a way to get paint into some areas that either can't be seen without a mirror or boxed in areas. Something like Ziebart used to do. Or, do they still do it? Thanks!!
Old 10-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Getting paint inside boxed in areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I recently dragged a new roadster body home from the good people in Brookville Ohio. I'm wondering is there's a way to get paint into some areas that either can't be seen without a mirror or boxed in areas. Something like Ziebart used to do. Or, do they still do it? Thanks!!
Pete:

I've seen a number of multi-headed nozzles for sale on Instagram. I'm sure a Google search will turn up some as well. Maybe even Eastwood, Tip, etc. will have something as well.

It's a brass multi-head nozzle that hooks ups to a tube to allow you to get into nooks and crannies.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
19Fordy

Use a high quality plastic spray bottle full of rust inhibiter and wipe away any outside drips. Can also use an air compressor with a siphon bottle and long nozzle made from a piece of copper tubing.
After a few days re-spray using high quality paint. Wipe away any drips.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Tony, NY

Perhaps a type of pump sprayer with adjustable nozzle, if you can get it in all the places.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Ga...HDXA/307766754
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
warhorseracing

I have heard that primer applied by powder coating will get in all of the hidden areas with the electrostatic application. Is this the case or has anyone else tried or have experience with this method?
warhorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
Perhaps a type of pump sprayer with adjustable nozzle, if you can get it in all the places.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Ga...HDXA/307766754
I did this with the inside of my Corvette frame. Garden sprayer with Rustoleum primer half and half with mineral spirits. Kept spraying until it ran out of the holes. Been good so far.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

Since the sheet metal is new, I would use marine primer (thinned the normal amount) and apply it using air-compressor and spray gun with special multi-port fitting (as long as needed to reach the hidden area). Enamel overcoat could be optional since marine primer seems pretty impervious to the elements.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorseracing View Post
I have heard that primer applied by powder coating will get in all of the hidden areas with the electrostatic application. Is this the case or has anyone else tried or have experience with this method?
I would think that "the powder" would not actually be able to squeeze in between all the metal contact joints or surfaces.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
warhorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I would think that "the powder" would not actually be able to squeeze in between all the metal contact joints or surfaces.

I don't know how fne the powder is but the electric charge is supposed to draw it in and cover everything. Isn't the area to be powder coated supposed to be sand blasted first to eliminate scale and oils? I don't know.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #10
19Fordy

Here's a good article on powder coating.
https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/c...owder-coating/

Some facilities have big enough ovens to powder coat frames so check that out. Professional powder coaters can tell you if the powder is fine enough to be drawn in between two adjoining surfaces. You could always check it out on a sample piece of two steels joined together.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
Bored&Stroked

Another option (though pricey) is to have the body stripped of all oils, etc and then e-Coated and epoxy primered (part of the process). This will coat everything extremely well and is a lasting protection. I'm going to have this done on my 34 coupe - as it is about the only way I can truly protect the INSIDE of things (doors, truck, body areas, etc).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #12
warhorseracing

I started a thread over on the H.A.M.B on this subject and the powder coaters that responded did not think that all areas would be protected. Pinch weld areas would be the most unprotected along with completely enclosed areas. The E-Coat and Epoxy primer look to be the best option. Considering the amount of money paid for the Brookville body alone it would be a wise investment in preserving it for quite a long time.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #13
B-O-B

When I worked at Westinghouse they painted the smaller transformers with a 1/2 or 3/4" pipe connected to a hose. The transformers were on trolley type system & had a large drip container underneath to catch the paint. There was another system that submerged some parts that were hung on a trolley system. Why not submerge the door enough to cover the insides. Believe primer would be less expensive that other systems. You can use the paint that is caught in other places.
I just sprayed in the inside of the doors on my 34 roadster with that expanding foam. Hope it works. I was careful not to get too much in any one area.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #14
Floyd

IMHO the overthinking alarm has been engaged. Powder coating is a terrible idea for the the simple fact that it has poor adhesion. Secondly, the closed areas of a roadster body are few, small or non existent. Wipe it down with oil and grease remover (acetone and lacquer thinner will never work), You can also pour in some metal prep (phorsporic acid + cromate) to give a real bonderized coating. rinse with water and shoot it with etch primer or epoxy DTM primer. and dribble, pour or with nozzle straw shoot into any closed areas you find. Drill a hole in it to gain access if worried. Wipe up what runs out the other side and let dry. Pour some inside the doors and slosh around and have a good time getting it everywhere. Outdoors is a good place for this. Prime with good stuff and be happy.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:23 PM   #15
flatford8

“I just sprayed in the inside of the doors on my 34 roadster with that expanding foam.”
I guess there isn’t a lot of humidity where you are but that foam can trap moisture behind it and rust because it doesn’t get air to dry out......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:12 PM   #16
PeteVS

I've read that Ford (and others?) painted fenders and other parts by dipping them. They'd have a large tank just about filled with water. Then, they'd pour a layer of paint on top of the water and gently lower the part into the tank. As the part passed through the paint, it would take the paint with it as it continued down into the water. But, there can't be any air pockets in the part as it goes in because there wouldn't be paint on those areas and they'd wind up bare metal in the water. Seems like a good idea for the doors and trunk lid. Hmmm....
Old 10-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #17
B-O-B

Mark I think Az is pretty low on humidity.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:46 AM   #18
1oldtimer

Powder coat won’t do it, I have had wheels that would start a rust trail from in between the riveted center and outer hoop. I would thin it down a little, make a multi spray tip attached to a flexible hose and go to town. You might have do it a few times, paint, dry, switch angle and repeat, but you’ll get a full soak. Then just clean up the outside after the inside has cured.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:25 AM   #19
PeteVS

I ordered a flexible thing with a nozzle that's made for use with Fluid Film. I think it's expected to be delivered today. I'll see if I can get it adapted to a rattle can. If not, I'll give the Fluid Film a go.