Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
solidirish

Default Horn Issues

Have two horn issues.1st...the horn goes on while driving without touching the steering wheel button. It stays on for awhile and then goes off and continues to cycle on and off. It just started doing this. The horn sounds every time the horn button is pushed. My thought is that the problem is in the switch because the wires in the horn are secure and none are close to the housing. Any ideas on how to test or fix the switch? 2nd....the horn doesn't go "ahooga" it gust goes "ga". Any thoughts?
Ray in Illinois
solidirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
whirnot

Default Re: Horn Issues

It's possible the horn wire to the switch is grounding somewhere, as the horn has constant power and sounds when the ground circuit is completed. as far as the sound, it probably just needs a good cleaning, adjusting and oiling. A quick search will give you the steps to do that.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
solidirish

Thanks Bill. I will pursue both thoughts & look at Les Andrews procedure.
Ray
Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
solidirish

Coupe thanks for your ideas. I am making some progress. I found a name on the bell base...it is a Stwart Warner....I tested the wire from the horn rod end to the button with a continuity tester and it tested good as I pressed the horn button. Also cleaned the commutator and brushes and adjusted the horn sound and I get a little better Ahooga sound. I still have a problem....pressing the horn button doesn't sound the horn but when I shake the harness wiring at the base of the switch the horn sounds. I will do some more testing of the wires. Thanks again.
Ray in Illinois
Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Ray in La Mesa

The switch plate that the wires are attached to has the center spring mounted contact that rises above the brass dimples and goes into the top 1/2 of the switch is the horn contact.Sometimes that contact wobbles and makes side contact with the upper plate, that can be the cause of the intermitant honking. Also, on repro harnesses the spring contact is some times too large of a diameter so must be filed down to the diameter of the spring. Once the contact is the right diameter I put a piece of shrink tubing around the spring & contact, leaving the soldered contact surface open to meet the end of the horn rod. Good luck.
Ray in La Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
solidirish

Thanks Ray. I will do what you suggest to eliminate the grounding when shaking the the harness wire. I found that the button didn't sound the horn because contact is not being made between the lower spring contact and the upper rod contact. Any ideas to bring these two contacts together? Thanks again.

Ray in Illinois
Old 09-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidirish View Post
Thanks Ray. I will do what you suggest to eliminate the grounding when shaking the the harness wire. I found that the button didn't sound the horn because contact is not being made between the lower spring contact and the upper rod contact. Any ideas to bring these two contacts together? Thanks again.

Ray in Illinois
Someone may have installed the wrong length horn rod.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
solidirish

Default Horn Issues Solved

Thanks everyone for your replies. Issues solved. Lower spring contact end was not as original but filing it a little and adding a little black tape arround end and stretching spring a little was all I needed to make contact with horn rod contact and also prevents spring and end to contact nearby ground which had caused horn to sound on its own.

Ray in Illinois
Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
smurph

I had a similar problem. Made an extension for the horn rod by attaching a "gizmo" made of brass foil folded like an accordion to the end of the horn rod. Problem solved. Make sure the only contact is with the horn rod tip and the light switch button. Other contacts will create a ground and sound the horn .
Good luck,
Smurph
smurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
solidirish

I also noticed when I had a firm connection between the horn rod tip and switch contact there was a much louder and much better "Ahooooga" sound. Great to have the horn working again because the neigborhood kids love the sound and always yell for it as I go buy.

Ray in Illinois