Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
cederholm

Default Turn signals - thoughts please

In need all the help I can get on the mean streets of NYC - luckily the horn works !

The PO started to install a turn signal system. He mounted two small lights under the rear frame and one of those bolt-on stalks to the steering column.

I'm pretty good with wiring but I thought I'd reach out just in case. The car has been converted to a 6v pos ground alternator.

So,
1) I will need to check if the signal stock has a self grounding case (is which I will need to isolate it) but assuming it doesn't - does the switch care about the current flow? Likewise the bulbs?
2) Should I assume that the lights he added are 12v and change them?
3) what are the thoughts for the front? Converting the parking light within the headlight housing? Getting some small for or cowl lights? or small add on lights somewhere else?

All thoughts (and pictures!!!!) welcome.

Thanks,
Carl
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Turn signals - thoughts please

What make is the turn switch ?

You can stay with 6v lights. I prefer to use the lights on the vehicle, I just convert the rears to LEDs and use the front parks and cowls as the front turn lights.

The change has stopped all the soccer moms giving me the single finger salute when using hand signals. The LEDs in the rear make the car very noticeable.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
cederholm

I'll have to check the brand of switch when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
What make is the turn switch ?

You can stay with 6v lights. I prefer to use the lights on the vehicle, I just convert the rears to LEDs and use the front parks and cowls as the front turn lights.

The change has stopped all the soccer moms giving me the single finger salute when using hand signals. The LEDs in the rear make the car very noticeable.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
Dave in MN

NYC! In a Model A? You are one brave soul!

We drove our Model A Phaeton close to NYC and in downtown Boston late last fall on a weekend. A cabby cut me off and missed my car by inches. The frightful experience made me bolt to Virginia for the tranquility of the scenic drive through the Shenandoah National Park and on to the Blue Ridge Parkway. NYC...Yikes!

Oh...To help with your original request: Please replace those two small rear lights with bright LED kits in two rear tail lights. The modest expense is well worth the additional safety/visibility you will gain. I suggest you add the LED lights to the front that mount between the bumper rails. Consider adding the third brake light in your rear window. Modern drivers have become accustomed to them and they are closer to eye level for those drivers that insist on using their phones while driving. In your design, add bright signal lights to the front also.

FWIW: When my turn signals light up...Most drivers put on their shades! LED's all around!
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-13-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
krzewinskibe

being 6V shouldn't matter. I kept my front parking lights as turn signals. As mentioned, I did the LED rear lights
Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
cederholm

Are you guys talking 6v LED for the rear? Where to I find these magical creatures?

My car is yellow and black - I'm hoping the cabs will think I'm one of them!
Old 04-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
Jim M

You don't need signal lights in in NYC. A friend of mine who lives there gave me driving instructions: One foot on the gas, one foot on the brake, one hand on the horn and one finger out the window. Worked for him but I almost had a heart attack!!!!!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
krzewinskibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cederholm View Post
Are you guys talking 6v LED for the rear? Where to I find these magical creatures?

I bought mine from snyders...
Old 04-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #9
Patrick L.

Quote:

Yep, most of the vendors have them, Bratton's, Snyders, etc.

And to add to the previous response, I added a third brake lite to the spare tire and haven't been rear ended since all the lighting increases.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
krzewinskibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Yep, most of the vendors have them, Bratton's, Snyders, etc.

And to add to the previous response, I added a third brake lite to the spare tire and haven't been rear ended since all the lighting increases.
same here except I have it mounted inside my rear window.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Dave in MN

Quote:

"hoping the cabs will think I'm one of them!" Seriously, I don't think it would matter! JMO

Here is a link to what I think are the brightest of them all. The LED's are part of the lens. At night, if you are close to the tail light they are actually hard to look at they are so bright. I have installed quite a few sets for people. I bought these exact ones for a project of my own I am just finishing.
Good Day!

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/C...6A-1390-xl.jpg

A-13405-SL6A $62.50 / ea. Less for the right side.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
cederholm

Thanks everyone!!

~ Carl
Old 04-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #13
w.michael

My '31 coupe is stock 6 volt. I had installed a stalk-type turn signal switch, with my front turn signals inside the cowl lights, and my rear turn signals integral with the rear brake lights (I do have a second tail/brake light on the right rear.) I was using 6 volt incandescent bulbs. My fellow club members who followed me on several tours told me I MUST have brighter turn signals and brake lights, and one actually bought a third LED brake light for my rear window. I changed the system to the LOGO LITES system, which is completely separate from my stock wiring harness and lights. The system has bright LED turn signals on each corner, mounted between the bumper bars.

I have two minor criticisms of the LOGO LITES system. First, mounting the signals on the bumper bars has the lights a little low to the road. Second, I have to take my eyes off the road to press the turn signals on and off. With the stalk, I could do that by feel, without taking my eyes off the road. However, the advantages far outweigh these minor problems.

My car now has add-on lights that clearly are not stock, but if I care, I can completely remove the signals without touching my stock wiring. After trying it both ways, I prefer this to modified original lights, that are no longer stock if I put LED bulbs in them.

I notice your car does not have cowl lights, and I respectfully suggest you not add cowl lights. The cowl light is really not a good location for the turn signal because it is behind the headlight, and not easy to see at night when the headlights are on. Also, so many standard cars have now been modified by the addition of cowl lights, that it is rare to even see a car today that is still "standard." Almost everyone has added cowl lights, even on the '28 and '29 models. I suggest you keep it original, and standard. Also, trying to put the cowl lights inside the headlight where the park lights go is even less visible than the cowl lights.

And so my suggestion for your car is:
a. Use LED turn signals. On the rear, either add bumper bar add-on LED's or LED replacement sets for your original tail lights. This assumes you already have an added right-hand tail light.
b. On the front, you are going to have to add lights no matter what you decide, and so I would use the bumper-mounted LED's. They are the most visible, as they are separated visually from the headlights, even if they are a little low to the road.
c. Add a third higher-up brake light, LED. This can be in the rear window of a closed car, or on the rear spare or rear trunk rack. I notice you have a side-mounted spare, but I don't know what you have on the rear.

Now all of this is just my opinion, but I have tried it both ways and this is what I have settled on for my car. Something else may suit you better.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #14
cederholm

Lots of helpful advice here Michael. Thank you for taking the time to post.

~ Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post
My '31 coupe is stock 6 volt. I had installed a stalk-type turn signal switch, with my front turn signals inside the cowl lights, and my rear turn signals integral with the rear brake lights (I do have a second tail/brake light on the right rear.) I was using 6 volt incandescent bulbs. My fellow club members who followed me on several tours told me I MUST have brighter turn signals and brake lights, and one actually bought a third LED brake light for my rear window. I changed the system to the LOGO LITES system, which is completely separate from my stock wiring harness and lights. The system has bright LED turn signals on each corner, mounted between the bumper bars.

I have two minor criticisms of the LOGO LITES system. First, mounting the signals on the bumper bars has the lights a little low to the road. Second, I have to take my eyes off the road to press the turn signals on and off. With the stalk, I could do that by feel, without taking my eyes off the road. However, the advantages far outweigh these minor problems.

My car now has add-on lights that clearly are not stock, but if I care, I can completely remove the signals without touching my stock wiring. After trying it both ways, I prefer this to modified original lights, that are no longer stock if I put LED bulbs in them.

I notice your car does not have cowl lights, and I respectfully suggest you not add cowl lights. The cowl light is really not a good location for the turn signal because it is behind the headlight, and not easy to see at night when the headlights are on. Also, so many standard cars have now been modified by the addition of cowl lights, that it is rare to even see a car today that is still "standard." Almost everyone has added cowl lights, even on the '28 and '29 models. I suggest you keep it original, and standard. Also, trying to put the cowl lights inside the headlight where the park lights go is even less visible than the cowl lights.

And so my suggestion for your car is:
a. Use LED turn signals. On the rear, either add bumper bar add-on LED's or LED replacement sets for your original tail lights. This assumes you already have an added right-hand tail light.
b. On the front, you are going to have to add lights no matter what you decide, and so I would use the bumper-mounted LED's. They are the most visible, as they are separated visually from the headlights, even if they are a little low to the road.
c. Add a third higher-up brake light, LED. This can be in the rear window of a closed car, or on the rear spare or rear trunk rack. I notice you have a side-mounted spare, but I don't know what you have on the rear.

Now all of this is just my opinion, but I have tried it both ways and this is what I have settled on for my car. Something else may suit you better.

W. Michael
Old 04-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
burner31

LED...that's the only way to go
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #16
cederholm

LED is in then!