Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
tommyleea

Default 55 272 Distributor

So, I figured out I have a 55 272 with ECG 9425 H intake, and a Loadomatic distributor. I have read and read about distributor exchange. The last article I read said that you had to splice the distributor shaft to make it the right length. The Cardone replacement distributor won't work from what I read. Is there any update on a drop in replacement distributor for the Loadomatic with the hex drive oil pump shaft? Thanks.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: 55 272 Distributor

Not all Cardone rebuilt distributors have the shorter shaft. If you buy the distributor for the '57 and later application you just measure the shaft to be 6" from the engine mounting surface. The shaft that is too short is 5 3/4".
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Not all Cardone rebuilt distributors have the shorter shaft. If you buy the distributor for the '57 and later application you just measure the shaft to be 6" from the engine mounting surface. The shaft that is too short is 5 3/4".
So, Is just the luck of the draw, or a specific number that will work?
Old 10-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: 55 272 Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyleea View Post

So, Is just the luck of the draw, or a specific number that will work?
What has happened is a shortage of FYB DUAL ADVANCE DIST cores. While a SBF dist housing will work in a FYB, the actual SBF dist shaft used is too short. If you order a FYB rebuild and when pulled out of the box is actually a later SBF, just turn it back in.

There is a new DIST being made available but cost is about $500.00.

Look for a take-out from 1957 to 1964 truck. They advanced in design but will work in a retro-fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIST - CARDONE 32-2808 _2 - FYB - SBF Comparison.jpg (64.8 KB, 26 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
What has happened is a shortage of FYB DUAL ADVANCE DIST cores. While a SBF dist housing will work in a FYB, the actual SBF dist shaft used is too short. If you order a FYB rebuild and when pulled out of the box is actually a later SBF, just turn it back in.

There is a new DIST being made available but cost is about $500.00.

Look for a take-out from 1957 to 1964 truck. They advanced in design but will work in a retro-fit.
OK..Thanks..
Old 10-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
See photo 1

Quote:
... Look for a take-out from 1957 to 1964 truck. They advanced in design but will work in a retro-fit.
Yes, and Y-block powered cars '57 to '62.
The '57+ version has a notch to index the rotor, photo 2.
The '54 to '56 distributors have a 'flat' side on the shaft and visible springs, photo 3.

(fyi photo #2, the ground wire from the points to the housing is missing)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 dist, shaft length.jpg (56.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 57 dist rotor index.jpg (54.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg dist rotor line-up copy.jpg (63.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-19-2019 at 09:20 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

If you are planning to swap an original load-o-matic distributor with a '57-'64 Y-block distributor with mechanical advance, you will need to make modifications to your old teapot carburetor, or scrap the teapot and switch to a later carburetor that works with mechanical advance distributors.
I think the few of us that are still running our '54/55/56 load-o-matics are going to be in trouble soon. The time has already passed since obtaining quality ignition condensers is a problem, and now I also notice that the repro parts suppliers are discontinuing to offer replacement vacuum advance canisters for the 272/292 2bbl.
The good news is, the '57 and later Y-block distributors are a direct bolt-in with no shaft modifications. But they do require '57 and later points, condenser and rotor as the design had changed. Different distributor cap too.
In my experience, you may need to adjust spark plug cables by removing the brackets and pulling the cables further toward back of engine if possible.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
If you are planning to swap an original load-o-matic distributor with a '57-'64 Y-block distributor with mechanical advance, you will need to make modifications to your old teapot carburetor, or scrap the teapot and switch to a later carburetor that works with mechanical advance distributors.
tommyleea, the hassle is... the '54 to '56 distributors advance the timing based only on a 0 to 5 inches of vacuum signal from a '54 to '56 carburetor. The '57+ distributors added mechanical advance for primary timing control and the carburetor vacuum signal was changed to 5 to 20 inches of vacuum.
If you change one you need to change both to match.

There is a fix for some/most(?) early carburetors so they'll control the later distributors correctly.
At this link...
http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2013/0...-distributors/

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-19-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #9
tommyleea

A bunch to digest. I think for now I will put in new points and condenser. Install and at least get it started for now. Thanks for all the info.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
See photo 1

Yes, and Y-block powered cars '57 to '62.
The '57+ version has a notch to index the rotor, photo 2.
The '54 to '56 distributors have a 'flat' side on the shaft and visible springs, photo 3.

(fyi photo #2, the ground wire from the points to the housing is missing)
Well, I ordered a set of points for a 55 272, and the points are backwards. I figured a mistake, so I ordered from a different source, and the same thing, the points are backwards. Mine are set up like the ones in your picture. Ends up I had to order points for a 56, and they were correct. Is that strange, or just my luck?
Old 10-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
paul2748

There was a guy on a Tbird Forum with a 55 TBird that had the same thing. Some one screwed up the application.

Quote:
Well, I ordered a set of points for a 55 272, and the points are backwards. I figured a mistake, so I ordered from a different source, and the same thing, the points are backwards. Mine are set up like the ones in your picture. Ends up I had to order points for a 56, and they were correct. Is that strange, or just my luck?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Well, I ordered a set of points for a 55 272, and the points are backwards.

Actually the backward points are for the 215/223 I-block 6-cyl engines. They look identical to the 54-56 Y-block points except mirror image. That is because the V8 distributor shaft rotates counterclockwise and the I-block 6-cyl distributor shaft rotates clockwise.
Get it? I know because I have and run both engines.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

BTW, these Chinese made point sets they've been supplying the past few years are crap. The rubbing block material wears down fast, even if you apply good lube to the distrib cam, and I have had some that the point contacts have actually fallen off the point arm.
I don't know if the replacement '57 and later point sets are any better but I doubt it. If you are getting new condenser, don't buy the Chinese crap either. Go to NAPA and get Echlin brand. Last time I got some, I had to order, but they arrived the next day.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #14
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Actually the backward points are for the 215/223 I-block 6-cyl engines. They look identical to the 54-56 Y-block points except mirror image. That is because the V8 distributor shaft rotates counterclockwise and the I-block 6-cyl distributor shaft rotates clockwise.
Get it? I know because I have and run both engines.
Copy..Thanks..Don't know where the confusion came in, but now I know!
Old 10-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
tommyleea

Quote:
A bunch to digest. I think for now I will put in new points and condenser. Install and at least get it started for now. Thanks for all the info.
Well, I reinstalled the dist with new points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, and plugs. Started right up, and purrs like a kitten. I am afraid all it will do for now is purr. Still contemplating the distributor issue. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #16
dmsfrr

Quote:
Well, I reinstalled the dist with new points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, and plugs. Started right up, and purrs like a kitten. I am afraid all it will do for now is purr. Still contemplating the distributor issue. Thanks for all the help.
I forgot to mention this before... in case you do decide on a newer distributor.

An oem '57+ distributor with mechanical timing advance usually works pretty well on an engine that still has an older style carburetor. You can leave the vacuum line from the carb plugged since the lower vacuum from an unmodified older carb won't help the distributor anyway.
You may lose a bit of MPG. It's my understanding that's where the (correct) vacuum timing advance setup helps out.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-24-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #17
KULTULZ

Question Re: 55 272 Distributor

Quote:

Well, I reinstalled the dist with new points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, and plugs. Started right up, and purrs like a kitten. I am afraid all it will do for now is purr.
What do you mean, the engine won't accelerate?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 10-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #18
KULTULZ

Quote:

Is there any update on a drop in replacement distributor for the Loadomatic with the hex drive oil pump shaft? Thanks.
Only the Y-BLOCK DUAL ADVANCE DIST

HOLLEY and MALLORY offered dual point mechanical advance distributors for performance engines before the DUAL ADVANCE was introduced in 1957. Be a little hard on fuel but it should fly.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-24-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
KULTULZ

Quote:

There is a new DIST being made available but cost is about $500.00

http://4secondsflat.com/Ford%20Y-Blo...stributors.htm

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
tommyleea

Quote:
What do you mean, the engine won't accelerate?
I guess I am just assuming it won't have much power considering the vacuum advance unit is inop. Not ready to drive yet anyway. Still need to install radiator. Just wanted to hear it run.