Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Wick

Default Thoughts on Hershey

Very enjoyable this year,except for the heat at night. I found everything on my list. Met Brad from Germany. Alot of young folks buying A and T parts this year. Only two vendors disappointed me. The spring guys were not in front of the Giant center and Woodward Fab only had 2 items in 1 space. Said goodbye to A&L. I did get hooked up with a good supplier for buffing wheels.
My best haul was the guy who unloaded a truck load of good A parts starting at $5 each
At 5pm Tuesday. 5 gal bucket of zenith bodies!!! Rocky Mountain brake drums 4 pair.
Thursday I did some wet shopping, well worth it.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Thoughts on Hershey

Wick, check your PM
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
brum1

picked up a high compression head from Schwalms, model a tools, and a spare tire lock, Good year, lot of fun hunting for the stuff.

Did not find the elusive shock adjusting tool, maybe next year
Old 10-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
leo

Yeah, what is the story with A & L? I was in proximity of the guy saying this was his last day (Friday) and his last Hershey. He looked to young to be considering retirement....
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
Don Turley

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Yeah, what is the story with A & L? I was in proximity of the guy saying this was his last day (Friday) and his last Hershey. He looked to young to be considering retirement....

Allen is not retiring. He has noted that the effort and expense of coming to Hershey is not an efficient use of his time. He does better staying at home, manufacturing quality parts, and selling by mail order.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 PM   #6
WTSHNN

Other noticeable vendor absences were Don Roberts and BJ.

-Tim
Old 10-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
nhusa

I hate to bust your bubble but some of us don’t care about Hershey.

We either can’t afford to go or don’t have time to attend and get tired of people that think is the only thing of importance to the hobby.

There is a lot more things more important than spendings days slogging thru mud, beating off heat, finding a place to park, getting a reasonable room for a few nights and seeing crap on endless tables than spending time with family or taking a few days off work.

Hershey seems to be an over rated scam that has is a waste of time.
Just m6 opinion of what is being said.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #8
Roadster62

Well, Next year is my 50th Hershey in a row, can't wait to be back there again. Bob
Old 10-16-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
Allen is not retiring. He has noted that the effort and expense of coming to Hershey is not an efficient use of his time. He does better staying at home, manufacturing quality parts, and selling by mail order.
I too have not been to Hershey in several years. I do think that swap meets as a whole are not profitable in a business man's eyes. To most hobbyists, it is another peripheral item that makes up the Model-A hobby.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:07 AM   #10
Oldbluoval

I haven't been in two years now and so miss the "event"!
I wouldn't call it a "scam" but to each his own. It has gotten expensive because,
like all big events, prices for food, lodging , etc have gotten pumped for the dates
Like Allen at A&L one has to determine best use of time and resources.
Also expectations....Early Ford stuff is just getting rare. It's in the hands of collectors or
accumulators and you have to know who and where they are.
You just don't stumble across much any more.
Big cache of stuff doesn't get out there until one of us croaks!!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #11
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhusa View Post
I hate to bust your bubble but some of us don’t care about Hershey.

We either can’t afford to go or don’t have time to attend and get tired of people that think is the only thing of importance to the hobby.

There is a lot more things more important than spendings days slogging thru mud, beating off heat, finding a place to park, getting a reasonable room for a few nights and seeing crap on endless tables than spending time with family or taking a few days off work.

Hershey seems to be an over rated scam that has is a waste of time.
Just m6 opinion of what is being said.
Thank you!! I did not realize how bad Hershey is!! I,m never going again!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
ronn

mixed reviews are understandable.............

most of us, are getting older

Hershey is shrinking a little each year

and so it goes.

if looking for profits, Hershey most def is not the place to be, unless youre a food vendor!

if you enjoy meeting people, then it will always be a good time.

unfortunately, I most likely wont go anymore, because of arthritis in my feet. just how it goes............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
emf

I, for one, would not miss it. I get a chance to meet my old friends like Bob above, and I buy a little, sell a little. There has not been mud in the flea market for many years, since the black top was installed. Did something crawl up a canal that shouldn't have???

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #14
leo

In a previous post I said this years show was a disappointment but in retrospect I should have gone on Wednesday instead of waiting till Friday. The Thursday rain caused many vendors to bag it. That aside, Hershey is still fascinating to me even if I wander the whole flea market and buy nothing. Yeah, ebay and other venues have taken their toll on it but I don't feel it's anywhere near giving up the ghost. Maybe some of us are just getting old and fuddy-duddy. Just remember the walking will do you good.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #15
tribouboys

Hershey is an interesting experience for sure and changed a lot over the years. My father went in the 60's with friends and brought me in the mid 80's. I was not able to go again till 2007 and have been 6 times since then. The experience and meeting people you have never met that enjoy the hobby and specific car you enjoy is invaluable. I happen to meet some guys this year that have been attending for years and was able to purchase a Model A part I was looking for and that in itself was worth the trip. (IMO) I went with a buddy and split expenses so motel,gas & food was slightly under 425.00 each. In the grand scheme of things not much compared to the experience and the new friendships. Hershey is not for everyone but Thanks to those that work hard to put the event on because Hershey does not disappoint.
tribouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #16
Grier

This was my first Hershey experience. I enjoyed it. Went with someone who has been going for 44 years. Enjoyed all the stories told etc. I also was able to acquire an OD-O3 Model A ford windshield wiper. An item I have been looking for over a year, an original 29 gas cap in almost perfect condition and a few other things. If I were to take the approach that it is expensive and time consuming, then I would have missed out in a fun experience and acquiring long sought after parts. There are lots of ways to enjoy our hobby, this is just one.
Grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
Dodge

Plus, some people go to Hawaii and just sit on a beach, some go to Europe, some travel the U.S. and some go to Hershey. It’s the whole experience not just buying or selling a few parts.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #18
marty in Ohio

Several years ago I went to Hershey with a friend. Had a great time and only bought a radiator cap gasket for my model A. (I think I paid .85 for it) When I got home I showed my purchase to my wife, and she asked me how much it cost. I sat and figured it up and I think it came to about $450.00. She said it was worth every penny as long as I had a good time. She's priceless!
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #19
mhsprecher

I wouldn't miss it. I was only there for Friday afternoon and the show on Saturday. I bought two items from guys in my Model A club, so didn't need to go there for that and a radiator cap for my Model T, something I could have gotten elsewhere, but you see stuff there you would not see anywhere else. It is a slog, but everyone needs the exercise, as long as you don't eat too much pizza or funnel cakes.

I have said before how much I love the car show. It is very crowded, but there are always cars there you won't see anywhere else. It is always a thrill. I am amazed at how many foreigners are there, too. The Greatest Show on Earth, IMO.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #20
Birchwood

I can see both sides, I have only been to hershey a few times but I was hooked after the first time. I would meet up with a couple of guys from here and we would search the fields. Dave was a guy that had been into model a's since a very young age and had a knowledge that was unbelievable, and he educated me as we walked around. We lost him to cancer a few years back and honestly that's what I looked forward to the most , spending time and learning from a master.
This year my wife and I made reservations and was going for the week and a couple of weeks before we were to leave we had an illness in the family and could not go. I am already looking forward to going next year. Its a little over 600 miles from here but to me its worth it. I seen things I never seen before and things I will probably never see again. I met a lot of fine folks and even seen Wick a couple of times and wanted to introduce myself but he was busy, next year Wick.
I guess what I am trying to convey is there is a wealth of knowledge and experience at Hershey each year and to newcomers like me it is well worth the time and money. The most important thing I learned is buy what you need when you see it, look for bargains on Friday.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote