Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Deluxe Delivery

Default More Timing issues

When I look at Marco's picture of the distributor used to set the timing, it shows, and says that the rotor is just about to contact the #1 contact tip, the points are just about to break, and the cam is just starting to be at the high point. This is to occur at the 4 o'clock position. Yet in my current situation, when I set it all up...I am closer to about the 3 o'clock position and the rotor has already passed the #1 contact tip. What do I have here? twisted dist shaft? I can't seem to get the timing right. What am I doing wrong ?
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: More Timing issues

Make sure the pin is in the detent, loosen the cam and rotate it. I purchased a nu-rex tool last year(snyder's, pg A-147, top right) p/n A-12210-CX. Foolproof. Instructions include. Get the pin in the hole, insert tool (dist body on), loosen the cam screw, rotate cam/tool 2 times c/wise til tool touches rear "tit" on dist body, tighten screw. This removes any backlash you have. $9.75. It works.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
columbiA

One of the beautys of the A is that you dont need any tools to set the timing other than a wrench for the timing pin & a screw driver.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Purdy Swoft

Most of the timing instructions that I have seen don't allow for the rotational backlash in the distributor. I don't set the timing by the points. Turning the rotor counter clockwise adds backlash on the wrong side and causes the timing to be retarded. I first remoive the spark plugs so that the engine will be easy tro turn. I set the points at .022, Turn the engine over until the timing pin drops in place. Loosen the points cam screw, set the points cam so that the trailing edge of the rotor tip is pointing at the number one contact in the distributor cap body with no clockwise back lash. There will be backlash but when the backlash is in the counter clockwise direction it will have no effect on timing. This is the part that most have problems , because when you tighten trhe cam screw the cam will move a little as it tightens and it may take several tries to properly align the rotor in the correct position with no clockwise backlash . The tool that Paul mentioned will make the operation easy. It makes no difference about where the spark lever is set or the points ,at this point, it only adds confusion. Correct timing is about where the rotor tip points when the timing pin drops in place. The trailing edge of the rotor tip needs to point directly at the number one contact in the dist cap with NO clockwise backlash.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 02-19-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Deluxe Delivery

Thanks, Paul I will order one in the morning ! And Purdy, thank you for your explanation. You are essentually saying what I had figured out myself, it is the rotor tip that counts, not the bump on the cam. I'll give 'er another try.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
V4F

nu-rex timing set .......... uses a timing lite ...............
Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

I too found the NuRex tool works well.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
30ccpickup

I have animated pictures and instructions that might help. http://modelabasics.com/Ignition.htm

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Deluxe Delivery

Purdy cleared it up for me...and now...IT LIVES !!! see my post with pictures. Thanks for all the help, guys!