Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
mlp623

Default 1929 Mass License Plate Color

I am helping a friend restore a Massachusetts 1929 license plate for his Model A. I have done other NJ plates (relatively) successfully by following tips from FB.

I am having a hard time finding an off the shelf color to match the deep blue background. I checked into a spray can matching and it was crazy expensive ($75 to match + $47 for 1 can).

Is there a rattle can brand / color that you know of that will come close? I don't have a spray gun to use non-rattle can.

Thanks
Matt
mlp623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: 1929 Mass License Plate Color

The chance of an off the shelf perfect match is very unlikely. Especially with license plates, cheaper is not always better. Check with one of the National License plate Clubs and request a paint spec. Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Terry, NJ

The problem with these old colors and matching them is the fact that they may or may not have changed over the years, weathering, sunlight/UV light, and simply changes that time alone causes. License plates were only expected to last a year in most cases, some longer, so I don't expect much thought was given to longevity of the paint. From what I know of Pa's 1930 plates, modern Caterpillar yellow is the closest match we seem to be able to get for $5 a can. For pictures of my efforts, go to my profile and scroll down. Good luck!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp623 View Post
I am helping a friend restore a Massachusetts 1929 license plate for his Model A. I have done other NJ plates (relatively) successfully by following tips from FB.

I am having a hard time finding an off the shelf color to match the deep blue background. I checked into a spray can matching and it was crazy expensive ($75 to match + $47 for 1 can).

Is there a rattle can brand / color that you know of that will come close? I don't have a spray gun to use non-rattle can.

Thanks
Matt
Does the LP in your avatar suggest license plates is your business? Wayne
Old 09-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
barnstuf

The background color was blue. To get the best match on a faded plate use light rubbing compound on the back side which usually has had more protection from fading. You can then take the plate to a hardware store and get a close color match. If the plate when painted is to be used for display only, go ahead with its restoration. If it is for Massachusetts Year of Manufacture registration the current regulations require the plate to be legible at 60 feet in its original paint, and to be a number not in use on another car registered under Y.O.M. A legislative bill to allow repainted plates is in the legislature but not voted on yet.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
ModAfan

You will either have to be the Michelangelo of YOM plate painters, or extraordinarily lucky to get away with it. I had to go to two registries to get a 1928 plate in beautiful original condition accepted. The applicable Mass. RMV policies on YOM plates are shown below.
I'm sure there are dozens of people on the forum who have have painted old plates with house paint and breezed right through the RMV process. But don't count on it.
Good luck.

RMV Policies for Use of Year of Manufacture Plates:
1. The vehicle owner must complete this Application and sign in the presence of a Notary. 2. The plate must be physically presented to the Registrar for inspection and approval.
(i) The plate can contain no more than six (6) characters.
(ii) The plate must be in good repair and in original condition. Its letters, numbers and markings must be clearly legible. Any indication that the plate has been repainted or otherwise altered will cause the Registrar to reject use of the plate.
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
J Franklin

And then when they toss you in the hoosgow you will finally get proper training in the art of painting license plates.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

The rule clearly dictates no repainted plates. When you are buying you had better be buying exceptional plates or you are buying garage art. No if, ands or buts ! Wayne
Old 09-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

looks like Enamel Gloss Navy Blue Spray Paint would match.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #10
Pilotdave

As noted in #4, repainted/restored licence plates aren't allowed in Massachusetts. Under the current rules, getting a YOM plate approved by the RMV is a total crap shoot. For years we've been trying to get this changed - every year the bill dies in some committee. Maybe if every Barner in the world wrote to the Massachusetts legislature we could get it done....I don't think anyone there would notice the return addresses from out of state!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
taffrail

Autos 008.jpgI agree YOM plates in Mass. can be tough. I have a maroon 1930 plate 4 digit that was rejected 10 years ago, 4 years later it was accepted on an other car. And we have to pay for them. I would like to repaint it but I'm afraid it would make it a wall hanger.
taffrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
Terry, NJ

I don't mean to get political but........ A friend had owned a Chemical Co. in Framingham. The company was sold to Dow in 1955 and "Taxachussetts" hounded him till he left the state. and came to NJ. Not much better although Jersey was a lot better in the 50s.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Florida is the same was as far as restored plates. Most seem to get them approved the do the restoration. Legal, I don't know. The rules seem to say to have them approved they must not be altered but do not address what happens after that.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:15 AM   #14
springerpete

If it is illegal to re-paint in Mass, clean it carefully and then spray with a clear
coat. It will preserve what is left and look good.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
If it is illegal to re-paint in Mass, clean it carefully and then spray with a clear
That's probably what I should have done with my 28 MN plates on my Phaeton. Even though I keep the car garaged, it's amazing how much the plates have gone downhill in the past 15 years.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #16
barnstuf

Posting # 11 states it is illegal to have repainted Year of Manufacture plates in Massachusetts. Not true. The issue actually is that under current regulations they are not acceptable for new registrations. In the early days of the YOM program they were accepted and many are still on the road today. The regulation was changed to not accepting repaints for new registrants because reproduction plates were being passed off as genuine plates. The RMV reaction was to ban repaints for new registrations. The Massachusetts Association of Auto Clubs (M. A.A.C.) is behind the legislation to repeal the regulation.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
Does MASSAWHATSIT fine you for painting your OLD car with NON-ORIGINAL colors???
Bill W.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
jb-ob

Matt,

Fourteen replies and not a single idea what color could be used !

Reminds me of "I don't need to know how to build a phone, I just need to make a call".

I suppose if it were 'sky blue pink' Mass DMV would break a leg approving it.

JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #19
bikejunk

Smile Re: 1929 Mass License Plate Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
Matt,

Fourteen replies and not a single idea what color could be used !

Reminds me of "I don't need to know how to build a phone, I just need to make a call".

I suppose if it were 'sky blue pink' Mass DMV would break a leg approving it.

JB
He got the best advice possible ---dont do it !! and one guy did say dark navy blue
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #20
taffrail

Sorry about getting off track, Blue. The problem will be getting the right registry person on the right day.
taffrail is offline   Reply With Quote