Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Borg-Warner Overdrive

I recently acquired a 1951 Crestliner for my next project (photos here if you're interested: https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266026). The gentleman that sold it to me threw in a bunch of extra parts and pieces including a three-speed side-loader transmission bolted to a Borg-Warner R10 overdrive. This assembly came out of his 1957 Ranchero. Any idea if this transmission and overdrive assembly fit in a '51 Ford sedan? I've tried searching online but have had zero luck finding any relevant info. It looks like the Borg-Warner overdrive comes in different lengths but, again, I'm not certain.

Presently, the car is not equipped with overdrive, but I absolutely want to install it during the build for enhanced drivability.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
Mac VP

Default Re: Borg-Warner Overdrive

I’d try to locate the correct version for your 51 Ford. The 57 Ford passenger OD trans is longer, which in itself would require a new or modified driveshaft. The front of the trans would bolt up to your bell housing, and the 1” ten spline input shaft would fit your clutch.....however, the transmission lacks the unique gear shifter housing with the typical 49-51 Ford clutch release mounting boss. The shifter levers are different as well.

The transmission might have some core value if the OD guts are in good shape.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
I’d try to locate the correct version for your 51 Ford. The 57 Ford passenger OD trans is longer, which in itself would require a new or modified driveshaft. The front of the trans would bolt up to your bell housing, and the 1” ten spline input shaft would fit your clutch.....however, the transmission lacks the unique gear shifter housing with the typical 49-51 Ford clutch release mounting boss. The shifter levers are different as well.

Thanks for the info, Mac! When it's time to get new transmission parts I'll be giving you a call.

Is the 1951 overdrive transmission -- I mean the transmission itself, not the Borg-Warner stuff -- the same as in the '49 and '50 Fords or is '51 unique?
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #4
transbytip

Admiral,a big diff. is the nub for clutch linkage on side case is located lower on the 51 also the gears are cut diff.on51 also the 51 does not have the elect.rev.lockout sw.I have both O.D.trannys for sale Cliff.e-mail [email protected]
transbytip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Greg58

I installed a 51 od trans in my 50 last year, everything but the mount is the same. If you use a 49-50 trans you'll need the cross member or do as I did and modify a new mount to fit. I didn't have a problem with the nub, the clutch arm mounted right up.

Last edited by Greg58; 07-10-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #6
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post

If it is from a '57 it should be 12 volt which would make the solenoid etc desirable to someone who is running a 12 volt system in a 6 volt car.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

I think the 57 trans is a T 85 with much stronger gears ans the oD has 4 plantiary gears. Had one of these in a 56 with a 342 Merc engine and Clay Smith cam. Never broke it.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote