Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
wvgunner

Angry 55 Ford Fairlane Brake Drum removal

I'm gonna ask probably a stupid question. Trying to remove the front drums from my 55 Fairlane and they won't budge. I've pounded and sopped with PB Blast no luck. If I remove the center nut will the whole thing come out so I can try something else with more leverage? I attached a picture as I can't figure out how to insert it. Any help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake2.JPG (142.1 KB, 12 views)
wvgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
rick55

Default Re: 55 Ford Fairlane Brake Drum removal

The front drums are secured on the 55 differently to later models. If you remove the center nut the drums should come off with the hub. If your drums are worn they may have a lip which will prevent them sliding over the brake shoes. If his is the case back off the adjusters. Once you get the drum/hub off the car if you want separate them you will need to knock the wheel studs out and then they will fall apart. Later models the studs are pressed into the hub which leaves the drums freely interchangeable.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Daves55Sedan

It sounds like your drums have never been resurfaced, so you will need to back off the brake adjusters (in back). Originally, the brake drums were only surfaced to match the width of the brake pads. Modern resurfacing machines cut the inside down flush all the way (which would allow you to remove and install the drums without tampering with you brake pad adjusters).
Be careful not to allow your outer bearing to fall on the concrete after removing the center nut. Best thing to do is to "rock" the drum a little and let the bearing work its way out enough to pull it off in your hand. Then you can just throw the bearing in a can of bearing grease till you are ready to re-install everything
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
venturesomerite

The hubs (bearings and races) are built into the brake drum. You have to remove the cotter pin, crown nut and washer, then you will see the outer bearing, rock the drum a little to work the bearing loose, take it out. Depending on the wear and adjustment of the brakes, you will likely have to back off the adjuster with a brake spoon, or large flat head through the adjuster slot in the back. Then you can take the drum off.
venturesomerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
JeffB2

I assume you are doing a brake job,your '55 does not have self adjusting brakes like later cars but read this: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...ussionid=20141 the brakes from '54-56 are the same so these part numbers will be the same as the ones posted here.Hardware kits for a '54-56 are pricey from aftermarket vendors so by doing the self adjusting conversion the kits are cheap and EZ to find,the dual master swap is also a good safety measure and budget friendly.If you want to upgrade a little you can use these: http://www.resto-modtechnology.com/s...C-FRONT/Detail these brake shoes are Kevlar which has several advantages they will not cause drum wear like a semi-metallic and they will decrease brake fade by at least 25% so you will get close to disc brake performance for a lot less$$.

Last edited by JeffB2; 06-21-2012 at 04:03 AM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
wvgunner

You guys are so smart. Seriously. Thanks a million. I shoulda asked sooner.
wvgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
frank long island

remember there's no such thing as a stupid question
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote