Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2021, 11:21 PM   #1
cas3

Default suicide doors and broken legs work well together

Well, I broke my frickin leg last week. Everyone will want to know how, so get comfortable, long tale here. So I was breaking down some tires for my current mess, a 1952 military m38 jeep. I always do my old ford stuff at home the old fashion way, with my favorite tire irons from model T truck tool kits. modern stuff I bring to town and have done. I have done hundreds, and maybe thousands if we go back to bicycle and mini bike years, so not unfamiliar with the task. I first lay the tire on the ground and remove the first bead. Once off, stand it up vertical, remove the tube, and start prying the rim out of the tire while pushing the rim with your foot. Usually not too much of a fight with our old 16" fords, and even easier on the bigger model A's. However, the 1951 dated 6ply 700 16 hard as a rock was not very cooperative. So, I had a cheater pipe on the tire iron, and was bouncing on that while pushing with my right foot. Normally, they will ease out a little at a time and finally just plop out on the floor.This one, fought and fought until it shot out like a bullet, causing my right leg to go thru the tire, which took away my balance and had me crash onto my left foot, heard the crack, and then laid over in the mud ( rained a short time before) in agony. I refused to admit defeat, never broke a bone before, so I limped around for 2 days hoping it would fix itself, until my ankle was the size of a soft ball, and went for the xray, and yup..broke the fibular-whatever. What does this all have to do with suicide doors you ask? Well, my friend David J here on the barn once told me wisely, "on a model 40 , you back in, and walk out" . Its true. Its summer, I am going to drive my old cars no matter what. I can barely get into a model A, but the 34 jalopy you just back in, set your ass down, lots of room to swing the dead leg and crutches in. next, the fire breathin flathead will pull from a dead start with no throttle, and you are off and running. I shift sorta like a big truck, pop into neutral just backing off the throttle, and right leg to clutch it back into the next gear. I get away with this as its always just a sunset drive on country roads, no traffic, and few stops. Sadly, I do not own any thing that is an automatic trans. Currently use the lawnmower to get around the property, and 6-8 weeks of doing nothing?? i'll go crazy!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:30 PM   #2
mfagan

Default Re: suicide doors and broken legs work well together

Hang in there. This too shall pass!
Old 05-23-2021, 11:33 PM   #3
Tinker

Hope you will recover quickly. Suicide doors are cool and now practical.

I broke (also the only bone) in my hand a decade ago. Didn't get it set for a couple days also. Called a boxers break. Can still pop my pinkie out of the knuckle. Works great!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:52 PM   #4
David J

Clayton ,
Tough deal !!!!
Hope you had no joint damage .

Hope it heals fast and good so you can come up and drive Mikeys tub .

David J
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:31 AM   #5
deuce lover

Unless things have changed its 6 wks in a cast.Have your buddies decorate it with V8 FORD art.Adding: at least this time of yr you can wear shorts. Pushing the clutch in might be a learning curve.

Last edited by deuce lover; 05-24-2021 at 01:23 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:09 AM   #6
Brian

Yep...6 weeks in a cast, and you've still got the tire to finish removing!! Actually, I'm surprised you could even walk/hobble around for two days.
Look on the bright side...at least you've got the 34, so can still drive a V8. Best wishes for a speedy recovery cas
Old 05-24-2021, 01:56 AM   #7
cas3

Actually Brian , I did finish the uncooperative one, but have two more to do. I'm thinkin the tire machine in town looks like a good idea at this point! Thanks all for the concerns
Old 05-24-2021, 08:00 AM   #8
David J

In 1974 after getting hit by a car on my motorcycle I had a cast on my left leg .
Not broken but some serious damage to my left knee ligaments-cartilage .
I could put some weight on it - just could not move the joint .
Cane helped .

Only functioning vehicle left was the old 5w .
I used my cane to operate the clutch .
Not reccomending this as it is probably not safe but I was 21 and determined to drive . Took the clutch pad off and found a short tin can [ tuna ??? ] and drilled a hole in it for the stud on the pad .
Put the pad in the can and screwed it back on .
Kept the cane from slipping off the pad .

Hillbilly stuff but it worked .

Hang in there bud !!!
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #9
39portlander

Wait a minute there Cas, 6-8 weeks you can get a lot done. Get out the creeper and start detailing working on the under side of what ever you got.

Between my three vehicles I could be busy for several weeks, although I know the little lady would come up with some "honey do" list accomplished only by a one legged bandit....because she cares.

If you play guitar you could really take that to the next level, take a break from that and get the wax/polish out. The opportunities are endless.

I hope you heal up quick and get back to it.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
cas3

Mr portlander you have a positive attitude and are of coarse completely correct. I can not just sit and watch my toenails grow. I do plan to do almost nothing here for a week or two and let the healing process have a priority, but eventually I'm sure some kind of activity for better use of time can be had. My friends and neighbors all tease that its time to clean the work bench (which is truly disgusting ) but its hard to carry anything on crutches. I had just painted my daily driver honda, but didnt finish installing the mirrors and trim stuff. needs to be buffed out yet, all light duty things a cripple can do. The work bench?....we'll see
Old 05-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
W T Cobb

My grandfather had a stiff right leg and I remember my father driving him to work in his 34 sedan with grandfather's right leg rested on the fender and the door held open with his right arm.
W T Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #12
cas3

Good story W T ! I'll bet grandpa loved the model 40 too
Old 05-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #13
slowforty

No hand Throttle?
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:09 PM   #14
cas3

yup, got a hand throttle, just dont need it. Only one intersection on a slight slope, have used it there, but not often. Cold here now, had to take the "a" out tonight as it has a manifold heater. Hard to get in, but I can shift that like a big truck with no clutch pretty good