Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2020, 12:59 AM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default Boring out an 8BA carb base to EGC 1 1/16 size

I am looking into the feasibility of boring/ honing the throttle plate ( the cast iron throttle body with the butterflies ) on a Holley "94" "8BA" carb to the "EGC" 1 1/16 bore size. Has anyone done this with any success? The reason I ask, is because these EGC carbs are hard to come by up here, and I have a couple of them that the bases are rusted up, and the mixture screws are broken off in them. we have several of the "8BA" carbs that have mangled tops, but the rest of the carb, including the bases are good. Thought that maybe I could make a good carb out of the bad "EGC" if the "8BA" bases can be bored, and not have any problems with any of the other orifices that are bored at an angle into the carb, such as the idle circuits, etc. any body tried this? any success? any ideas, or comments. just trying to make something good out of junk.----- Jim I also posted this on the early forum so I could " cover all the bases " ------Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
Sid

Default Re: Boring out an 8BA carb base to EGC 1 1/16 size

I'm almost positive the ECG-5 carb has the same throttle plate bore size as the 8BA carb. which is 1 1/4.The ECG-5 is considered a 2100 Holley. While the venturi is larger on the ECG-5 the butterflies are the same except the ECG may have the spark arrestor. The ECG-6 has the larger 1 3/8 throttle bore found on 1956-57 272 Fords and called a 2110.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #3
scicala

Jim, Sid is correct. '55 had the same smaller throttle bores as old 94 type carbs. The '56 ECG-6 carb increased the bore size. Pretty sure it's a different casting too. Don't think you can bore an 8BA base that large without issues, but could be wrong. Also 1 1/16" is the venturi size of ECG-5 and 6 carbs. Not the throttle bore.
You could lay out the bore of 1 3/8" on a smaller base and see if it will work or run into the idle fuel channel. The larger bores are also not made on center to the smaller bores. The bores go off to each side. Also the shafts have different screw locations for the plates. Charlie ny has throttle shafts for both bases.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
flatrod

I have a ECG-5 carb here with 1 3/8 bore throttle plates. It had a truck style V top and manual choke, But who knows it could be a pile of parts, but don't look it. Other then the top and manual choke it appears to be just the same as my ECG-6 carbs.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
Alaska Jim

Sorry about my saying the bore size is 1 1/16, I know that is the venture size, not bore size. sorry about any confusion. I will continue looking around for some parts carbs. locally, and if I can not find any, I may contact the fellows who say that they have some bases, and/or complete carbs for sale. Thank you all for the information.----Jim
Old 01-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
scicala

I guess it's possible the ECG-5 truck carb had the larger base like the '56 ECG-6 carb.
Either that, or it was swapped on at one point.
Charlie ny should know for sure. I also acquired an NOS '56 Ford pass car ECG-6 carb recently at a swap meet (with auto choke). I took the top off and base too. Installed a new correct power valve and pump piston (both ethanol tolerant) and new gaskets.
If your interested in that, send me a PM.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
rotorwrench

If I was going larger on a flathead manifold, Id go with the Rochester 2GC carb on a Mercury 8CM or later manifold. At least that would make it worth the trouble. The 2GC performs well on a flathead Ford or Mercury V8.

On a Y-block, I can see the problem but reaming that cast iron would be a b!tch.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:56 PM   #8
Alaska Jim

rotorwrench, I was going to use the ECG carb as a center carb on a tri-power set-up on a Y-Block. I do have the use of a mill to try and bore the cast iron piece. thanks for your comments. --Jim
Old 01-10-2020, 11:59 PM   #9
Alaska Jim

Scicala, Thanks for the offer, but I am not wanting to use the carb's with the auto choke, and am sure I can come up with a carb locally, it just may take a while, and I am in no hurry right now. I will let you know if I change my mind.-Jim