Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
grumppyoldman

Default Looking for a better rear end

I'm wanting to go to a stronger rear end for my 55 Faielane, it has an 8 inch in it now. I rebuilt it to give me some time to find a better one. Some on here have mentioned one from a Ford ranger that is the same width and might get one that has a locking differential. I think it was mentioned that the rear end was an 8.8 inch. If anyone of you have that info. I would like to have it, i'm in no big hurry, but am concerned about the 8 inch may not be strong enough for my engine. It is a 302 c.i., Edelbrock Performer intake with Weber 4 barrel, headers with duels. It has a cam, but I don't know which. It idles kinda rough, so I know it's more than a mild one. I like to get into it once in a while and don't think the 8 inch is going to last, have no idea what the HP of the engine is, but when I shift the C4 from low to 2nd it squells the tire. God that's fun. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: Looking for a better rear end

If you get a rear axle from an old Ranger, make sure it had a 4.0L V-6. The 4 cyl. Rangers came with a smaller axle. Pretty sure all of the Explorers came with an 8.8".
Also, if there is still a tag on one of the rear gear cover bolts, it will have the gear ratio on it. If it has an "L" after it, that means it's a limited slip (posi).

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: Looking for a better rear end

If that is a later 8" FORD rear w/ removable carrier, it should be more than strong enough. Otherwise you should consider a 9". Changing gears under the car makes no sense.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
56sedandelivery

I am running a 9” under my 56. I put this in many years ago so do not know the year but believe it was a late 50,s so bolted right in. From the axle ends should have 31 spline axles, but hat pulled them to be sure. Finding a early one would be a problem.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:29 AM   #5
slumlord44

57-59 Ford 9" is a bolt in. They were orginally 28 spline axels but 31 spline will fit if you want a 31 spline center section. Been running 28 spline for years with no issues. Would take a lot to break a 28 spline. I ran a 300 horse 312 hard for years and finlaly twisted off an orginal axel. Running 400 horse 312 now and haven't broken anything yet.
slumlord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Anteek29

Hmmm...at my age I'm stuck with the one I'm sitting on! LOL...Happy Nre Year 2020 to all.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
estout81
BANNED

Many years ago I ran a '63 Fairlane with a well built 289 and 8" rear end with no failures. The size of the tires determines the load on the rear gears. You can't get big enough tires under a stock bodied '55 Fairlane to hurt a 8". I have a '88 Ranger with a well built 302 and 7.5" limited slip that I punish often with no problem. Have fun!
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
I'm wanting to go to a stronger rear end for my 55 Faielane, it has an 8 inch in it now. I rebuilt it to give me some time to find a better one. Some on here have mentioned one from a Ford ranger that is the same width and might get one that has a locking differential. I think it was mentioned that the rear end was an 8.8 inch. If anyone of you have that info. I would like to have it, i'm in no big hurry, but am concerned about the 8 inch may not be strong enough for my engine. It is a 302 c.i., Edelbrock Performer intake with Weber 4 barrel, headers with duels. It has a cam, but I don't know which. It idles kinda rough, so I know it's more than a mild one. I like to get into it once in a while and don't think the 8 inch is going to last, have no idea what the HP of the engine is, but when I shift the C4 from low to 2nd it squells the tire. God that's fun. Al
This will help you to select one and how to I.D. them: https://therangerstation.com/tech_li...8_8-axle.shtml Check out the video I posted a link to here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...arend.1051093/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
56sedandelivery

Smile Re: Looking for a better rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by estout81 View Post
Many years ago I ran a '63 Fairlane with a well built 289 and 8" rear end with no failures. The size of the tires determines the load on the rear gears. You can't get big enough tires under a stock bodied '55 Fairlane to hurt a 8". I have a '88 Ranger with a well built 302 and 7.5" limited slip that I punish often with no problem. Have fun!

You have better luck with them I did. I had a 66 mustang with a fairly stout 289 and blew the spider gears on a 8". Hit 2nd. gear and kablooy. Got a tow home.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
paul2748

With the right parts, a 8 inch can be made very stout and handle lots of horsepower. Traction locks are available. Other wise, a 9 inch from a 57/58 (bolt in) are strong, lots of aftermarket stuff for them.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #11
grumppyoldman

Thanks JeffB that's what info. I am looking for. Al
Old 12-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #12
Ole Don

I used a Ranger Supercab 4X4 with a trailer hitch. It had an axle 56 and 5/8 flange to flange, 3.73 traction loc, and I don't remember what year. About 92 or 93 when the cab got wider, the axles did too. Get the narrow one. The small engined Rangers had small brakes, don't go there. I beat on that 8.8 for years with a built 312, and someone else is beating on it now. It never failed me.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #13
51504bat

I have one of the narrower Ranger rear ends that I'm considering for my '54 Ranch Wagon. The WMS to WMS dimensions are just a tab bit less than the original rear end which should make removing the rear tires easier and there is enough back space so the narrower width isn't an issue. The Ranger rear had the smaller brakes but the larger brakes from the later and wider Ranger rear end are a true direct bolt on. I plan on running a stock 302 with an AOD so I'm not worried about the Ranger rear end not being strong enough.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
estout81
BANNED

The early Mustang GT had a 7.5" rear end same as Ranger except four bolt axle and drums. They were also limited slip. Had a '83 GT Mustang. Put over 200K trouble free miles on it.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #15
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
I used a Ranger Supercab 4X4 with a trailer hitch. It had an axle 56 and 5/8 flange to flange, 3.73 traction loc, and I don't remember what year. About 92 or 93 when the cab got wider, the axles did too. Get the narrow one. The small engined Rangers had small brakes, don't go there. I beat on that 8.8 for years with a built 312, and someone else is beating on it now. It never failed me.
So is the Ford explorer the same rear end? Is that a drop out carrier? As I remember I thought that was a Spicer type carrier.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:51 AM   #16
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
So is the Ford explorer the same rear end? Is that a drop out carrier? As I remember I thought that was a Spicer type carrier.
Everything you need to know but were afraid to ask is here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_li...8_8-axle.shtml You will find the Explorer is stronger than the earlier Rangers with it's 31 spline axles.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #17
Ford blue blood

A 57 - 59 Ford is 57.25" flange to flange. The 95 - 01 Explorer is 59.5" flange to flange, common as dirt, 3.73 and 4.11 all had T-locks, can be narrowed easily by getting a second "short side" axle, all were 8.8 and while not bullet proof will handle most anything a street tire will give it.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #18
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford blue blood View Post
A 57 - 59 Ford is 57.25" flange to flange. The 95 - 01 Explorer is 59.5" flange to flange, common as dirt, 3.73 and 4.11 all had T-locks, can be narrowed easily by getting a second "short side" axle, all were 8.8 and while not bullet proof will handle most anything a street tire will give it.
You might want to get the 15" Explorer wheels with the axle for two reasons they will clear the Explorer disc brakes and because they have a more positive offset than the old 50's Ford wheels and they will offer more wheel well clearance.

Last edited by JeffB2; 01-02-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
oldbird55

It's cheaper to keep her.
oldbird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #20
grumppyoldman

I'm running 14" Thunderbird spoke wheels that I've just put on new wide white Coker tires. I need to keep the same bolt pattern, so my wheels will fit the axle. the tire dia. is hurting my engine RPM, so I would like to change to a taller rear ratio. Al