Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #101
alanwoodieman

Default Re: '41 Ford COE questions

Brad, they are the same running board mounts used on the 41 as your 47. cwh is in AK
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:55 PM   #102
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hole View Post
It's all looking great so far!

As far as the channel goes, I'll have to look to see if I have any sheet metal laying around, but I still have the die we made to remake the channels on my '47 1.5ton truck. I would imagine the channel is the same size. I'm not sure where you're at, but it may be possible to make and ship some to you.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the offer. I found some replacement channel yesterday and have it on order. It looks like it should work.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #103
alanwoodieman

I have got my butt in gear, lights/bumper/splash pans back on 1 1/2 ton, about finished with the bed. got crazy and purchased 6 new tires and they are mounted, went for a short ride up the road--got to fix the seat next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1130006.jpg (127.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg P1130002.jpg (135.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1130001.jpg (115.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg P1140007.jpg (125.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #104
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
I have got my butt in gear, lights/bumper/splash pans back on 1 1/2 ton, about finished with the bed. got crazy and purchased 6 new tires and they are mounted, went for a short ride up the road--got to fix the seat next.
I love it. Don't change a thing. You can't duplicate patina like that. Perfection.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #105
alanwoodieman

yea!, got to love the patina, started life as an army firetruck-after that it went to Dept of Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs then was a ranch service truck, truck has 5000 miles, never been fast enough to melt wheel bearing grease, script still on rear brake linings, hope to have it on the road in the spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010009.jpg (29.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #106
mfirth

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Wow Super Cub on floats...awesome, and the C O E is too.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #107
cwh

Quote:
yea!, got to love the patina, started life as an army firetruck-after that it went to Dept of Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs then was a ranch service truck, truck has 5000 miles, never been fast enough to melt wheel bearing grease, script still on rear brake linings, hope to have it on the road in the spring.
Right on. Love the history on it. Should be fun getting it ready to roll.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #108
41panelmark

Quote:
Allen that thing looks good with the side board on, great job!!
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #109
rustynut4247

Chris
Hi, I am about to finish my 1947 COE. As far as the wiring goes it is made by Bauer MFG. in Oregon. The bearings are standardized. If you can get the number off the bearing and manufacturer, there is a place you can try called Detroit Ball Bearing.
I have used him for years and they have always had what I needed. I also think they do oil seals too.
I use to make sheet metal parts for the COE's before I retired.
Any questions give me a call at 248-853-4027. I am in Michigan
Thanks Todd
rustynut4247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #110
cwh

Smile Re: '41 Ford COE questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut4247 View Post
Chris
Hi, I am about to finish my 1947 COE. As far as the wiring goes it is made by Bauer MFG. in Oregon. The bearings are standardized. If you can get the number off the bearing and manufacturer, there is a place you can try called Detroit Ball Bearing.
I have used him for years and they have always had what I needed. I also think they do oil seals too.
I use to make sheet metal parts for the COE's before I retired.
Any questions give me a call at 248-853-4027. I am in Michigan
Thanks Todd
Rustynut,
You give all that advice, offer up your help and don't even post up a picture of that amazing '47. I can only zoom in on your avatar so far.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #111
COE Dan

Chris - great progress there on your COE. My truck certainly could use a bit of body work and a repaint - but I'm enjoying as-is for now. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it and ultimately it's completion. I've been off Ford Barn for a bit after moving and deploying again, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Last year, just before I put it in temp storage for my move and deployment, my COE developed what I'm currently believe to be an intermittent fuel starvation issue causing the engine to quit. The major symptom acts like the carb runs out of fuel (presumably because fuel is either not being pumped by the fuel pump or there's a restriction in the system). As of now, the carb is rebuilt, new fuel filter installed, and just this weekend I pulled the fuel pump and bench checked for operation and flow. Everything checks good so far. I'm beginning to suspect that I have either a contaminated tank which intermittently plugs the intake line (haven't confirmed that yet) or possibly a bad ground on the electric fuel pump causing it to intermittently quit due to loss of power (vibration probably aggravates the problem). If I get through the fuel system and the problem persists, I suspect it's then going to be in the ignition system (coil or condenser problem?). Anyways, I've got a few more weeks of winter weekends to work on it as long as it doesn't get too cold.

As for Todd's comment on bearings, I've got a full set of Timken bearings for the front/rear, inner/outer wheels. These truck use standard sizes. I can provide the cross reference numbers if anyone needs those. I read back through this thread and must have missed who was looking for that data.

Looking forward to more
COE Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #112
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by COE Dan View Post
Chris - great progress there on your COE. My truck certainly could use a bit of body work and a repaint - but I'm enjoying as-is for now. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it and ultimately it's completion. I've been off Ford Barn for a bit after moving and deploying again, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Last year, just before I put it in temp storage for my move and deployment, my COE developed what I'm currently believe to be an intermittent fuel starvation issue causing the engine to quit. The major symptom acts like the carb runs out of fuel (presumably because fuel is either not being pumped by the fuel pump or there's a restriction in the system). As of now, the carb is rebuilt, new fuel filter installed, and just this weekend I pulled the fuel pump and bench checked for operation and flow. Everything checks good so far. I'm beginning to suspect that I have either a contaminated tank which intermittently plugs the intake line (haven't confirmed that yet) or possibly a bad ground on the electric fuel pump causing it to intermittently quit due to loss of power (vibration probably aggravates the problem). If I get through the fuel system and the problem persists, I suspect it's then going to be in the ignition system (coil or condenser problem?). Anyways, I've got a few more weeks of winter weekends to work on it as long as it doesn't get too cold.

As for Todd's comment on bearings, I've got a full set of Timken bearings for the front/rear, inner/outer wheels. These truck use standard sizes. I can provide the cross reference numbers if anyone needs those. I read back through this thread and must have missed who was looking for that data.

Looking forward to more
COE Dan
Dan,
Thanks for your service to our country. Glad that Uncle Sam has you in a place that you can play with your vintag toys. Intermittent problems can be frustrating. My friend has a Hudson that was having a similar issue. We found that it has a deteriorated insulator on the distributor which was causing it to quit randomly and finally wouldn't start. Hope you get yours figured out easily enough.

Still waiting on my painter to pull the trigger. I just need to be patient. Currently the cab is on its back in my garage. I'm using bedliner to coat the bottom for corrosion protection. It's pretty solid but I only want to do this rebuild thing once on it.

Keep us posted on your fix on your cabover.

Chris
Old 10-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #113
KCTA Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 lakes View Post
I hate to butt in on a thread, but I need the wisdom of the COE scholars out there. I went out to a mans property today to look at two old COE trucks. He is in the process of removing a handful of vehicles off of his property. He was {is} planning on taking them to the crusher. I am going to negotiate with him and try and salvage what I can. My question is what parts other than sheet metal and motor and transmission have value to the guys trying to rescue these old relics. I am posting some pictures. One is the 1941 up era. The other is a 1956.
nothing like asking a question on a several year old post but curious if you pulled parts from this truck? Im about 10 miles from you and could use the 2 speed axle and open driveshaft?

Thanks
KCTA Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #114
Hemiman392

Beautiful truck, as for the rings , you can go to a place that sells boats and has a parts dept. and ask for a can of Power Tune. If the rings are stuck this stuff is great for unsticking them, just pull your plugs and spray it in .It comes out in a foam ,like shaving cream, this helps it to adhere to whatever it is sprayed on. The it melts aroun the piston and through the ring gap opening and around the rings . Let it sit for 30 minuets and spray again. Don’t be shy with the stuff,let it sit overnight if you can . Then in the morning ,crank it up. I had a piston from a 32 farmall tractor in my hand with stuck rings and watched it dissolve the carbon like it was nothing .leaving it overnight really helps. Try it ,I think you will be satisfied. Hemiman392
Hemiman392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #115
cwh

Little update on the old '41. Drug up and moved to Idaho. My truck was all stripped and ready for paint but my painter flaked out on me. Put it back together enough to move and towed it to Nampa Idaho. I've got a reputable painter in the area and I'm hoping to get back on the project and have it on the road again soon.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #116
alanwoodieman

Idaho? I had wondered what you have been doing lately, been a long time since you last posted, and show us some pictures when you get it painted and back together.
Alan
Old 09-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #117
cwh

Quote:
Idaho? I had wondered what you have been doing lately, been a long time since you last posted, and show us some pictures when you get it painted and back together.
Alan
Yeah Idaho. Boys grew up and my oldest started college in WA state. Figured we'd better move and get closer.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:10 AM   #118
mercman from oz

Here is a page from the original 1941 Ford Truck Sales Brochure, showing the COE model.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #119
alanwoodieman

lets see--your truck started life in VA moved to NC moved to AK and now to Idaho! it sure gets around.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #120
cwh

Quote:
lets see--your truck started life in VA moved to NC moved to AK and now to Idaho! it sure gets around.
Yeah, I've spent way too much moving it around the country.