Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Jemelton#

Default This Drives me Crazy!!

The attached news item was published in the Omaha World Herald newspaper this Sunday.

At least you would think that the reporter would be able to get the make and model of the car correct, or am I expecting to much from the current crop of drive-by news people?
Model T indeed!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (42.1 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 2.jpg (73.3 KB, 356 views)
Jemelton# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: This Drives me Crazy!!

Hope he doesn't drive around with that sign covering the radiator
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Mulletwagon

Mis-identified for a Model T and a titling challenge - something every Model Aer can relate to !!
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
jrelliott

Why not get a bonded title and be done with it.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Joe K

In Rochester, NH there is a rare 1930 Chevrolet Model A.

https://nh.craigslist.org/atq/d/roch...959247710.html

He was close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...s_AD_Universal

Quote:
The Series AD was launched as replacement for the 1929 Series AC models. Sales dropped by over 200,000 to 640,980 vehicles for the year.[1]
The AD retained the new "stovebolt" 194 cubic inches (3.2 L) six-cylinder engine from the Series AC, but with bigger intake valves and smaller exhaust valves, along with a new manifold, raised power from 46 hp (34 kW) to 50 hp (37 kW). The suspension now included hydraulic shock absorbers and the fuel gauge was moved from the tank to the dash panel.
Joe K
Old 09-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
J Franklin

Go here for the full story.

https://www.omaha.com/news/plus/nebr...10a266145.html
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
woofa.express

Just make up any numbers for engine and chassis or any other thing they may require. Don't be afraid to lei to the government, after all they lei to us every day. Well that's the Australian government and I'm sure your government will not be dissimilar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gov agent.JPG (30.9 KB, 8 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
Joe K

It would seem to me that the "Junk" title must be associated with something -probably that VID which is stamped on the side of the engine block.

Simple - get another engine from an out of state vendor. Possibly even an in-state vendor if you're reasonably sure the block number is "lost" in the bureaucracy or hasn't been on the road in at least a generation.

Then file for a title.

You will have someone come out from either the Registry or possibly a local law officer to confirm the number. The engine you replace doesn't even have to work - but it has to be in the car when the State agent sees it.

Then, when the State Agent leaves, put the working engine back in it - and go for a drive to get ice cream.

Meanwhile, have that "other" engine rebuilt as a spare. So when you sell the car it can go with it. Or leave it as a "static memorial" to State Bureaucracy and pass it to the new car owner.

We here in Cow Hampshire have it so fortunate. No title required on a vehicle built in 1999 or older.

Joe K
Old 09-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #9
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
We here in Cow Hampshire have it so fortunate. No title required on a vehicle built in 1999 or older.

Joe K
Maybe we all need to work our representatives in this direction!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #10
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Maybe we all need to work our representatives in this direction!
Not only that but no safety inspection for a car over 60 years old.
Quote:
(c) Notwithstanding any other rule to the contrary, any motor vehicle with a model year 60 years or older shall be exempt from these rules as long as the motor vehicle is equipped as it was manufactured or in accordance with the motor vehicle’s original equipment specifications, or exceeds manufacturer’s design intent.
You do need a License Plate. Either an "antique" plate which has limited driving (shows, exhibitions, club meets, routine maintenance) or regular plates which are unlimited - but governed by your automobile insurer. (Standard question: do you have antique plates or regular plates? - two different insurance rates.)

These changes were made when a member of the State Legislature was also an antique car buff.

Joe K
Old 09-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
It would seem to me that the "Junk" title must be associated with something -probably that VID which is stamped on the side of the engine block.

Simple - get another engine from an out of state vendor. Possibly even an in-state vendor if you're reasonably sure the block number is "lost" in the bureaucracy or hasn't been on the road in at least a generation.

Then file for a title.

You will have someone come out from either the Registry or possibly a local law officer to confirm the number. The engine you replace doesn't even have to work - but it has to be in the car when the State agent sees it.

Then, when the State Agent leaves, put the working engine back in it - and go for a drive to get ice cream.

Meanwhile, have that "other" engine rebuilt as a spare. So when you sell the car it can go with it. Or leave it as a "static memorial" to State Bureaucracy and pass it to the new car owner.

Joe K
That's ok for a quick fix, but problems arise if one ever decides to sell the vehicle. Same for the states that dont require titles. It creates big problems for us slobs that live in states that require them. So in that sense it eliminates potential buyers.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #12
John Dayhuff

I feel your pain with this. When I bought my 1930 Phaeton last year I tried to get a record of ownership from the DMV, I sent in all my paperwork with a check and everything and waited. It finally came back basically saying they wouldn't take the time to do it, even though I'm paying what there asking. I already know the previous 50 years of history of the car but wanted to go all the way back to 1930 if possible.....no such luck and I was turned away. Very frustrating to say the least!!

Hang in there though and hopefully you'll have better luck then I did.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #13
Synchro909

Over here, it used to be that the equivalent of what you guys call a title went with every car from first registration to scrapped. That system was itself scrapped several decades ago. We have no titles for cars these days. I think it is a MUCH simpler system
In a similar vein and FWIW, our land ownership (titles) system used to be like yours - a copy of the old British system. By the time it had been going for about 30-40 years, its shortcomings were becoming appearant. We changed to the system we use toady about 140-150 years ago. It is far less cumbesome and less chance of things going to poo. When we search a title, there is no tracing records all the way back to the first issue of the title. The less paperwork, the better. Having been a Licensed Land Surveyor, this is a bit of a pet of mine so I apologise to those whose eye glazed over reading this.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #14
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
That's ok for a quick fix, but problems arise if one ever decides to sell the vehicle. Same for the states that dont require titles. It creates big problems for us slobs that live in states that require them. So in that sense it eliminates potential buyers.
What problem for a buyer? "Here's the engine you need to prove out the title. Just tell them the old engine wore out and you found this one to replace it."

More than likely the sale transaction will be completed without ever having it officially verified. And if it is - there is the pallet with the number you need.

80 years covers a lot of official ground.

As to "marketability" - yes those of us in states without title requirement COULD have a problem with a sale.

I had exactly that problem selling a 1930ish AA "rolling chassis" to a buyer from Texas. (Nice chassis - 26K original miles - engine loose but ran nice - and the chassis still had a lot of original paint on it and ALL those small springs and nuts and washers that tend to get lost or rust off.)

As it turned out I was able to have the chassis "titled" by Cow Hampshire by showing them the original bill of sale (from a Connecticut seller) which showed the details - particular of which was the VID.

I filed to NH for a "replacement title."

"Oh you don't need that because your vehicle was made before 1999"

"Oh yes I do because I need it to sell the vehicle to a buyer in Texas which does have Title Law."

"No problem then - fill out the paperwork, send in the $15, and we'll contact you when we can send out an official agent to verify the VID."

The pretty Officer in Blue arrived in a local PD police car. I think she was a trainee or possibly admin clerk in our local constabulary. We verified the numbers (both frame and engine which fortunately matched) She knew nothing of Model A numbering - until I told her (being the outstanding citizen that I am.)

Four weeks later the Title arrived in the US Mail.

Five weeks later the Texas buyer was in my driveway with a trailer.

Joe K
Old 09-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #15
Automotive Stud

I understand his plight, but maybe he ought to just buy a historical document and register that and be done with it.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote