Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Lona

Default Not showing our cars anymore?

Went to a local car/boat/airplane show yesterday which is the largest and most popular annual show in our area. There were at least 150 cars there and probably many more. There were only two Model A's owned by guys who drove together from some 50-60 miles away. My wife would have attended with her '31 roadster but was away visiting family for the weekend. At another large show about 80 miles from us some three weeks ago, there were none. (too far away for our roadster ) At many of the events we go to, we are the only Model A to show up.

The question is with so many A's still in existence and road worthy, why do we see fewer and fewer at shows as the years go by? Is it because we A owners are getting older and no longer interested in attending shows? Is it because when we do go, there is little interest in our cars by the crowd who are drawn more to the muscle cars? Or, maybe it's just a local thing where there are just not that many A's around here anymore.

Do others around the country see this decline of interest in showing our cars? Are there other reasons for this trend? Is this just another sign that our hobby is in a downward spiral with few younger folks joining to carry on?

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Tinbasher

Default Re: Not showing our cars anymore?

That's to bad. We find that because there so few early cars at the shows or cruse nights that people really like to see them. Yes the hobby is changing but it's up to the new folks to keep it going.

My thoughts. John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
mhsprecher

We have a core group who like to go to shows and cruise ins, but what you say is probably the case. We have a great show up this way in a couple of weeks and there are always a dozen or so Model A's there. It is up to us. We have a couple of younger guys joining our club, but not many. We need to help carry on the tradition. I do it whenever I can.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Lona, I know what you mean...

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Patrick L.

I think part of the reduction is due to the way some folks act today. I've had folks stick their kids in or on my vehicles which is usually just fine. But, they have caused damage a couple times. We would also display our airplanes at the local airport again with usually no issues. But the one or two folks that are brain dead ruin it. One such fella would set his kids on the wing of one of our airplanes and have them run the length of the wing and jump into his hands. He thought that was great fun. When I saw that and started running, by the time I get there this had happened several times and the wing tips had been destroyed. I snapped on the idiot and he just wanted to stand and argue. He thought it was perfectly fine to cause hundreds of dollars in damage to an aircraft he didn't own.
I just find that some folks have no respect for others. So, I enjoy the shows but no longer participate. Many friends feel and do the same. After some problems with this years local car show the friends that still brought their cars say they will no longer do so.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Sunnybrook Farm

My cousin lives in VA Beach and went to the AACA show last spring and told me there was only one model A but a bunch of old cars like model Ts and other makes from the time period. Over here in the other end of Virginia, I don't see much of anything other than highly modified stuff. I have several model A cars and have no interest in taking them to a show. Forty years ago people would come up and talk about how they had a model A but now those people are gone and the feedback just isn't there. I don't think most people even know what they are looking at when at a show.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
Rex_A_Lott

The reasons are probably as different as the owners, but I find that I'd rather just get out and take drive. Maybe go to eat, take a little mini-tour of the countryside or something. If I go to a car show, its to look, not to show off, but overall I find I like car shows less and less as I get older.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Kurt in NJ

I only go to shows that don't charge to display the car ---when I started the shows would usually have a meal, plaque and other goodies---
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
modelAsteve

Around here (Northern Calif.) they charge to put your car in the show (usually $25 or a lot more) and than charge the spectators to come see it. Some times we get a trophy which I don't want or need. As was stated about- would rather go for a drive.
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
700rpm

I stopped participating in shows for all the reasons above. Too many fools who don't understand or respect basic courtesy regarding other people's property. Plus it takes hours to prepare, and then you have to really sit there with the car to protect it for the duration of the show.

I agree with Rex: I get more enjoyment out of driving the car, and the conversations that arise from strangers I encounter who are genuinely interested.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAsteve View Post
Around here (Northern Calif.) they charge to put your car in the show (usually $25 or a lot more) and than charge the spectators to come see it. Some times we get a trophy which I don't want or need. As was stated about- would rather go for a drive.
We get the same crappy treatment here. I REFUSE to pay for the privilege of putting my car on display for them to charge others to look at it. I've even turned around at the gate when asked for payment. The stunned look on the attendant's face said they expect they should. I wonder how quickly they would make good any damage done to the car while on display, something that should be guaranteed if we have to pay an entry fee.
I think there are many reasons Model A owners are not putting their cars on display so much these days. Parents don't control their kids who climb all over the cars, public interest is waning etc etc. For myself, I tire of the same old ignorance about out cars. How many times have I been told that Model As were only available in black and have the purveyor of that little gem be prepared to argue? (That was the Model T, and then only in the US)
Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

I think lack of yesteryear's old time interest has to do with what are "today's" people looking for with a different life style and different entertainment.

For example:

A. Movies: Need a car turning over, hitting something, then fly 30 feet in the air prior to exploding and burning.

B. Circus: Who wants to see an elephant stand on his hind legs, a lion perched on a round box, or a woman on a swing dressed with "clothes on."

C. Walking around at a car show: No battery operated mobile devices or battery carts; behinds 48" wide and wider, barely limping at 50 years old with one or two walking sticks.

D. Bottled water and root beer to drink: Where is the 420 group with the good stuff to get high like at a rock concert?

E. Look at old cars: No interest, prefer sitting on a park bench and play games on a cell phone.

F. Opening the show with the National Anthem: Time to sit down and turn on the cell phone.

I'm sure others could possibly add to this list of today's different types of interest and entertainment.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-01-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
The reasons are probably as different as the owners, but I find that I'd rather just get out and take drive. Maybe go to eat, take a little mini-tour of the countryside or something. If I go to a car show, its to look, not to show off, but overall I find I like car shows less and less as I get older.
Hmmmm, I guess that's one way to look at it. I don't enter shows to "Show Off". The only Car Shows I entered in the past are to benefit an organization I wish to help. The above picture is for the local PSTA at the High School. I believe I may have even got a few teenagers interested in our hobby.

Another show I enter is the Wounded Warriors Car Show for the Semper Fi Fund. Both give away event T-Shirts to participants which is all I care about receiving in return.

But I agree with the others and this may be the last of the car shows for me because of the rude and inconsiderate spectators.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-02-2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Correct spellin'
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #14
28RPU

I am retired and on fixed income. I have already invested thousands of dollars in a car and can no longer afford to shell out $20 or more to enter into a show so that someone else who gets in free and knows nothing about cars can criticize and fondle what I take pride in. Most people don't even know I own an old car because I almost never drive it to shows anymore. Its like paying someone to look at my car while I sit in a chair in the sun and thats no longer fun for me.
Charge the spectators, like most events. The attractions should be paid, not have to do the paying.

Just a bunch of guys showing up at an eatery with their cars and shooting the breeze is much more fun and I can afford that.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

EVERYONE is SO NEGATIVE, is your attitude grounded INCORRECTLY?
Bill W.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
EVERYONE is SO NEGATIVE, is your attitude grounded INCORRECTLY?
Bill W.

It could very well be ! But the times and some people have changed. Like others have mentioned, just driving and hanging around some sort of drive-in with other car guys is fun.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #17
mhsprecher

Come to the show in Rockville, MD. No fee for cars befor 1930, if you register early. A great venue and always a good time.

I have experienced few of the problems others have. We do need to be ambassadors for our hobby and that means putting up with a lot of dumb questions. The kids do like the cars. None of mine are pristine, so I don't worry much.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #18
JDupuis

I cruise in, cruise night, cruise around every chance I get. Jeff
Old 10-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I stopped participating in shows for all the reasons above. Too many fools who don't understand or respect basic courtesy regarding other people's property. Plus it takes hours to prepare, and then you have to really sit there with the car to protect it for the duration of the show.

I agree with Rex: I get more enjoyment out of driving the car, and the conversations that arise from strangers I encounter who are genuinely interested.
I agree, I used to go to several a year (only if they were backing some cause). I have gone to zero this year. Almost made one a couple weeks back, however, a waitress at a small restaurant we take the 'A' to mentioned that her husband had a 50's car, and was having trouble installing wiring harness.

I didn't know the gentleman, however, decided to forgo the event and went over to his place that Saturday instead. He took interest in my 'A', and I was very impressed with the work he had accomplished on his 1950 (Insert 'C' word here).

Had a great time and was glad I skipped the event.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I only go to shows that don't charge to display the car ---when I started the shows would usually have a meal, plaque and other goodies---
Agree, its not about the money, its just that how do they charge us about $20 to bring are cars there, and only charge a spectator $5. Without are cars there is no show, that's why I refuse to go.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote