Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
Benson

Default Antifreeze problem

Until recently antifreeze came full strength in gallon bottles.

Now they sell antifreeze that is premixed in gallon bottles (50 percent solution).

I wonder how many times a person buys what they think is
100 percent antifreeze but buys the premixed solution by mistake.

Then they mix it 50/50 as usual ... Now they do not have freeze protection down to minus 35 degrees but instead they have a solution that freezes at 10 degrees above?

How many more cracked blocks and heads are in our future?
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Hicktick

Default Re: Antifreeze problem

Like anything you buy today , you better read the label .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Rex_A_Lott

I almost did that very thing the other week. They about suckered me in with the store brand being MUCH cheaper....they had the 50/50 sitting beside the full strength.
Heads up out there!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
QGolden

So far I have been able to find the non mixed wherever they sell the premixed. Hopefully that will continue for a while.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
So far I have been able to find the non mixed wherever they sell the premixed. Hopefully that will continue for a while.
I agree. Just the other day I was in a store and noticed the 50% was selling for $10 a gallon. That's like antifreeze selling for $20 a gallon, which is another ripoff.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 AM   #6
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I agree. Just the other day I was in a store and noticed the 50% was selling for $10 a gallon. That's like antifreeze selling for $20 a gallon, which is another ripoff.
worse than that, it IS selling water for $10 a gallon. what a scam.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

thats all i use at the shop is premixed in 55 gal drums it's CHEAPER than the full strength go figure

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-25-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
QGolden

The prices on the premix do not pass my test as a scam per se. They premix it and offer it as a service to folks who want it that way. The container is clearly marked as to what it is. There would have to be deceit of some type, and there is not.

Most of the motoring public do not work on their own cars, and for those that do some maintenance and that want a jug in the garage to top off the plastic overflow tank with the line in the side, it is perfect for them. A jug under such conditions will last them for years.

All manufactures who premix or water down products for convenience charge dollars for that service. Diet drinks do not sell for less than "regular" drinks. Lite beer is not cheaper than their "regular" beer.

I go through a couple of gallons a year, so I hope I can continue to find the "regular" type.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #9
Growley bear

If a person is going to do their own cooling system maintenance, an antifreeze hydrometer/coolant tester is a very necessary tool for the tool kit. Much less expensive than a cracked block or head.
Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
davehc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
Like anything you buy today , you better read the label .
Hicktick , Cant agree with you more . Last summer I was in the Dollar Store , and picked up what I thought was a deal ," Windshield Washer Fluid " , for a $ 1 a gallon . Went to use some a month ago and noticed it was almost frozen . Only then did I read the label and it said , only good down to 30 degrees . DUH , that wont work here in Michigan , that went in the trash right away . Right , "READ THE LABEL "
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Keith True

The Napa store here sells a huge amount of pre-mixed.Not to the garage guys,or the hobbyists,but to the drive-by commuters.They walk in with nice clothes on,both men and women,and they want it pre-mixed.They're not going to take it home and diddle around with mixing it.They pour a little in and put the rest in the trunk.We stood at the counter one day and figured out that after mixing ourselves we saved about $2.per gallon.When somebody puts a gallon of pre-mix on the counter the guys there automaticly say,this is pre-mix,is that what you want? I'ts hard to believe the number of people that just pick something up to buy it without reading it.The store here had to move the displays around because at least once a day somebody would pick up a gallon jug of Ru-Glide(rubber tire lube)thinking it was anti-freeze.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Ross/Kzoo

I would be willing to bet that as time moves ahead that the pre mixed will push the good stuff off the shelves due to the profit margin. Think of the toilet paper rolls getting so small that the only way they could increase profits is to increase the size of the cardboard center. Soon we'll get toilet paper roll for single use, ugggg!
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
Hicktick

Back in the early 70 s we had a shortage on antifreeze , I think a big plant blew up or burned down , I cant remember .

I had a customer that was a chemical co that made stuff for the textile industry . I kept up their cars and trucks .

They had a fleet of those Da$$&#@ diesel olds cars for sales men .

I got a call one day in the fall , said I am sending you a car that I think needs a water pump .

So I told him I could fix it but I couldn't put antifreeze back cause it was hard to find and had jumped to 8 dollars a gallon .

He said , what , then said fix it and I will send you some antifreeze
Next day his truck brought me a 55 gal drum they made at the plant , it was colored purple .

I had antifreeze for a year , free , kept enough for his stuff sold the rest
Good times dealing with good people.
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
AMEN..scam/ripoff/whatever...read the lable..for sure !
I just install a gallon...then reread the lable.. YUP mix solution. Then had a gallon of the 'pure' stuff and also had to add that...not for freeze protection (hey, it has been 85 degrees here), but for rust protection.
You can just imagine how much big $ they have made off of this 'genious' marketing idea of theirs
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

"genius" marketing idea

You just said you've got both kinds in the garage................so it worked.
I buy the 50/50 store brand, don't have to worry if it's been diluted, over/under mixed. Just pick up the bottle and add (if it needs it)
You gentleman talking about getting ripped off ever go into the bottled water section of your grocery store??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

as i posted 50/50 is cheaper for me
i did a search of prestone 50/50 vs full strength .. 50 /50 came out cheaper
what the heck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

full strength
you guys are getting stir crazy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

WOW, .............$13.50 for the 50/50 mix is the highest I've seen. Maybe I should start hoarding the full strength for $10 a gallon.

Maybe I shouldn't hoard it because the thieves would just come and take it. I still can't find 22 ammo to guard it with.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #19
QGolden

Of course if you just buy the 50/50, that solves the problem of having two or three partial containers and wondering if I mixed them or not....

Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #20
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
WOW, .............$13.50 for the 50/50 mix is the highest I've seen. Maybe I should start hoarding the full strength for $10 a gallon.

Maybe I shouldn't hoard it because the thieves would just come and take it. I still can't find 22 ammo to guard it with.
I just did a quick search and sure you can find it cheaper. It's not more than full strength like everyone was saying is the point