Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #1
LazarusLong

Default 51 Ford car power steering conversion?

I now have COPD,and it is almost impossible for me to drive either of my stock 51 Fords because I just don't have the strength to turn the steering wheels for parking and parking lot maneuvers.

What are my options for a power steering conversion? Is there a conventional PS box conversion and pump that will work with my original flat V-8 engine,or will I have to do with a rack and pinion system?

What about PS pump options that will work with my 239 V-8,or are there independent units powered by 6V or 12V that will work?
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: 51 Ford car power steering conversion?

You might want to look into the factory unit used on the 53's. I have it on my 53' Merc. and you can park it with two fingers. Just a thought, I am quite sure you will get quite a few suggestions from past posting. Good luck with the conversion.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
LazarusLong

I understand the 51 chassis is different than even the 49 and 50's,and I have seen an add at a aftermarket supplier of PS swaps for 52 and 53 Fords and Mercs,but no 51's.

I have personally seen a power rack and pinion setup on a 50,but that was several years ago and the car had a 302 in it. The power rack and pinion seems like a possible way to go if I can figure out how to drive the PS pump.

My 51 Victoria is all stock except for the aluminum radiator,right down to the FOM trans,and I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible. The problem seems to be shoeboxes with the V-8 just don't have enough clearance for a ps box due to the exhaust manifolds.

Chances are I will just sell the damn thing to a restorer,though. My 51 club coupe has a 3 carb flat 6 with a finned aluminum head in it and is going to have mild custom touches,the "wrong" paint,and the "wrong" wheels and tires anyhow,and since it has the flat 6 I know where I can buy a PS box that will work with it.

Was really hoping to be able to drive the car a while longer and enjoy it some before selling it,but if I can't drive it,it is nothing more than a big pile of expensive junk sitting in my yard.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
redmodelt

LazarusLong; This section is seen and read by few people. If you have not done so, I suggest posting in the Early V8 section. This section is more for questions about the site not car questions. Maybe someone there might have access to the Merc parts books for the year needed that can help.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
LazarusLong

Thanks,I will do that.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #6
williamsummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
I understand the 51 chassis is different than even the 49 and 50's,and I have seen an add at a aftermarket supplier of PS swaps for 52 and 53 Fords and Mercs,but no 51's.

I have personally seen a power rack and pinion setup on a 50,but that was several years ago and the car had a 302 in it. The power rack and pinion seems like a possible way to go if I can figure out how to drive the PS pump.

My 51 Victoria is all stock except for the aluminum radiator,right down to the FOM trans,and I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible. The problem seems to be shoeboxes with the V-8 just don't have enough clearance for a ps box due to the exhaust manifolds.

Chances are I will just sell the damn thing to a restorer,though. My 51 club coupe has a 3 carb flat 6 with a finned aluminum head in it and is going to have mild custom touches,the "wrong" paint,and the "wrong" wheels and tires anyhow,and since it has the flat 6 I know where I can buy a PS box that will work with it.

Was really hoping to be able to drive the car a while longer and enjoy it some before selling it,but if I can't drive it,it is nothing more than a big pile of expensive junk sitting in my yard.

Please don't sell this rare piece. There may be people who look to buy it, but you will lose a valuable one. These are very trending now. If you can convert it to power steering, then it would be great. I, obviously, have some ideas but, I don't think it will help you with this 51 piece. Can you please share the images of your car?
williamsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #7
LazarusLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsummers View Post
Please don't sell this rare piece. There may be people who look to buy it, but you will lose a valuable one. These are very trending now. If you can convert it to power steering, then it would be great. I, obviously, have some ideas but, I don't think it will help you with this 51 piece. Can you please share the images of your car?

I am definitely selling the car this summer after I get my restored 31 Plymouth coupe and my channeled and fenderless 32 Ford coupe on the road. It will sell with the original steering in it,though.

Since I posted the original question about PS I have had 2 heart operations and am almost halfway through my chemo treatment for lymphatic cancer. I am an Agent Orange veteran so the cancer appearance is a shoe I have been waiting to hear drop since I left VN in 69.

Going to sell the 31 Plymouth and 32 Ford coupes after driving and enjoying them for a while,too. Probably one this summer and the other next summer,so I have the money to put a couple of other projects on the road,and to finish my 6 cylinder 51 Ford business coupe that will NOT get sold while I am still breathing. Still looking for a flat 6 Ford FOM bellhousing and starter plate if any of you have one,though.

Here is a photo of the Vicky. Anybody that wants more photos,send me a PM with your email address and I will be happy to send them to you.

Had the top repainted the original black,but the yellow bottom seems to be original paint. Had the seats redone in a non-original pattern because I was tired of sitting in a hole and having springs poking me in the butt while driving down the road. Will probably get a new headliner and door panels installed this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51 Front.jpg (56.8 KB, 2 views)