Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #21
woofa.express

Default Re: Australian barners should read this

[QUOTE=Jeff/Illinois;1647031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
It's only %10. However, having said that, in the past it only applied to things over $1000.

Never take that attitude. Once they open the door and stick their foot in so you can't shut it, they are never going to go away. You will see more and more tax. This is just the start.

I see Jeff from Illinois knows governments.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #22
Tinbasher

Yes, but where use to collecting taxes!!JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #23
pooch

I bought 2 items yesterday off ebay.

The GST was only shown and added AFTER the commit to buy button was clicked.

I have informed ebay that is illegal in Australiai, as all prices must be GST inclusive up front.

I also said, am I going to get a tax invoice with ABN number so I can claim this GST back?

Am waiting a response.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #24
updraught

EBay is collecting for the seller. How do you know the seller has sold over $75,000 worth of gear?
With the recent devaluing of our dollar is the seller to use A$ or US$ when setting this limit?

It' quite exciting this isn't it.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:50 AM   #25
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
EBay is collecting for the seller. How do you know the seller has sold over $75,000 worth of gear?
With the recent devaluing of our dollar is the seller to use A$ or US$ when setting this limit?

It' quite exciting this isn't it.
It’s an Australian law so I’d expect that the $75K would be $A and it seems since eBay sells more than $A75K to Australians so they must collect the tax. Also seems eBay need to learn that the price quoted MUST include tax. I think they would have to set up their auction system so that if a bid is made by an Australian bidder, the bid is shown with tax. That would leave other bidders thinking that the bid is higher than it really is unless only Australian bidders see the full price. Certainly a challenge for eBay!
For non Australian readers, it is considered dishonest here to give a price, then expect the buyer to have to pay a higher amount, even if the difference is a tax. I’ve just been in the US and found their system of adding a mystery amount of tax to the price at the register quite confronting and dishonest. The tax seems to change from state to state, city to city and the direction of the wind. Here, it is uniform throughout the entire country.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:25 AM   #26
M2M

So who are the suppliers that have stopped selling to Australia? And, do they allow an Australian buyer using an Australian credit card to buy items and have them send to an US address? Or they do not accept a card with a billing address that's in Australia regardless of where the items are sent to?

Last edited by M2M; 07-05-2018 at 01:47 AM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:56 AM   #27
Karl

Seems a bit of an odd way to do it . In New Zealand we pay GST on overseas purchases at 15%. In reality orders under a certain value just go through as the effort to collect the GST costs more than the GST received. However if you are above the threshold then customs send you a notification when your goods have arrived and so much GST is payable -When you pay the goods get shipped to you. Simple . Why would an overseas seller collect tax for a foreign government ? Karl
Old 07-05-2018, 03:15 AM   #28
updraught

Karl, that is the way we did it in the past. Old school stuff now.

We have moved on the the digital future.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:37 AM   #29
pooch

It is still illegal for even ebay to collect GST on behalf of every seller overseas if that seller is not registered with the ATO for GST.

Ask them ebay arseholes for your GST input credit tax invoice to claim , haha FAT CHANCE.

I already have asked and EBAY said ask the seller for a tax invoice.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:42 AM   #30
pooch

If this has been going since july 1, that is millions of dolars that Australians have paid in GST to Ebay,

There will be a huge kerfuffle here very shortly.

I have already contacted the ACCC.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #31
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
So who are the suppliers that have stopped selling to Australia? And, do they allow an Australian buyer using an Australian credit card to buy items and have them send to an US address? Or they do not accept a card with a billing address that's in Australia regardless of where the items are sent to?
Alas, it was Bratton's, who announced via their facebook page to those of us who follow the said page.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #32
updraught

A quick look at the ATO website:

"will not need to charge GST on a sale of low value imported goods to Australian GST-registered business if they provide their Australian business number (ABN) and confirmation that they are GST-registered."
https://www.ato.gov.au/business/inte...mported-goods/

"As soon are you are aware Australian GST is likely to apply to the sale of goods, Australian consumer law requires that you display a GST-inclusive price."

"GST does not apply to sales of low value imported goods made to Australian GST-registered businesses who are making the purchase for business use."

"When you charge GST on a sale of low value imported goods you must issue a receipt to the customer."

"However, you should not charge GST or issue a tax invoice with an amount of GST payable if the sale is made to a customer who is not a consumer. This is because you have obtained their ABN and information or a statement that they are registered for GST)."
https://www.ato.gov.au/business/inte...re-registered/

"When you make a taxable sale of more than $82.50 (including GST), your GST-registered customers need a tax invoice from you to be able to claim a credit for the GST in the purchase price.
If a customer asks you for a tax invoice, you must provide one within 28 days of their request."
https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/...-tax-invoices/

"Special rules for re-deliverers calculating GST
If you are a re-deliverer, the GST you charge will be:
  • 10% of the amount paid by the customer for the goods, plus
  • 1/11th of the amount the customer pays for your services to get the goods to Australia. As a re-deliverer, GST applies to all of your services, including international the transport services and insurance for the transport of the goods."
https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/Who-chargesGST/?anchor=SpecialrulesforredelivererscalculatingGS#S pecialrulesforredelivererscalculatingGS

So ebay don't need to tax on shipping it seems.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #33
cpf240

eBay doesn't sell anything. It is just a platform to bring buyers and sellers together. If you go to a flea market, does the venue supply the receipt? I don't think so.
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #34
Synchro909

Many good points have been made here but it seems to me the most obvious thing is how poorly thought through by the Government this is. Who would ever have thought Government beaurocrats could stuff something up.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #35
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf240 View Post
eBay doesn't sell anything. It is just a platform to bring buyers and sellers together. If you go to a flea market, does the venue supply the receipt? I don't think so.
Clearly, if ebay are charging the tax, they think they have to. They wouldn’t go to the trouble unless their lawyers said they should do it.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #36
pooch

Well here is a new one.

Checked my mastercard and each itiem I bought off ebay has a seperate charge for the GST component.

ie, item charge $10.00 then another entry GST charge $1.00
Old 07-06-2018, 03:19 AM   #37
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Many good points have been made here but it seems to me the most obvious thing is how poorly thought through by the Government this is. Who would ever have thought Government beaurocrats could stuff something up.
In New Zealand our GST is a flat 15%. Your GST seems rather complicated with lots of exceptions eg Not on food unless it is processed, Must be an administrative nightmare
Old 07-06-2018, 03:31 AM   #38
pooch

Yeh, a would be if he could be prime minister John Hewson long ago could not explain how a birthday cake was GST taxed.

There was the cake, the icing, the cream, the candles etc. all GST different .

It famously killed his PM ambitions in this one debate.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #39
pooch

It is good Ebay is keeping the GST separate on the credit card,

It will be much easier for when they have to refund it all after this scam will be declared illegal.

I repeat, no one can add and take GST on a sale if they are not registered with the ATO and supply a tax invoice with an ABN number.

It is also illegal to not have the upfront price GST inclusive in an ad.,

Take an auction, your bid is the highest, then you go to pay, GST is added.

If this is not explained on the front page of the auction, it is illegal to add it after. .

There is going to be a big shit hit the fan here shortly.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #40
updraught

I just bought some software and at the end a list of countries came up. Australia was %10 and the US %0 etc. Take your pick how much tax to pay. Of course I picked Australia to pay my %10 enthusiastically.

I used Paypal and it didn't give me the option to use the credit card for currency conversion. Paypal did the currency conversion.

This is not legal under the Paypal terms and conditions. So I've been overcharged.

This was an issue about a year ago and I managed to get a refund from Paypal. At the time they said it was a known issue (like I should know!, and they didn't know when it would be fixed) It eventually was.

This new, but ongoing, try it on Paypal issue, is the second time this has happened in the last few weeks.