Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
Rick

Default 46 Lincoln starter slow cranking

My 1946 Lincoln V12 starter cranks over the engine slower then I would like. Any ideas on making it better. I have double grounded it with no effect. Battery is a 6 volt optima. It will start but turns over so slow.
Thanks ,Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: 46 Lincoln starter slow cranking

What size wire is your ground and positive cables to the battery?....Most problems arise from using 12 volt size cables for 6 volt systems....6V systems use twice the amps as a 12v system. Battery cables need to be "O" ought size wire. Another way you can tell is IF you can get someone to crank the car over and you hold the positive cable in your hand...if it gets HOT its too small of cable. Also make sure your grounds are good and clean and that ALL grounds are present and none are missing!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Conductor cable condition as was already mentioned, solenoid condition, battery condition, and starter motor condition all have an effect on how well the system functions. 6-volt starters were never real high rpm units but they are adequate for the job when in serviceable condition. When you use 12-volt, they sound more like a modern starter but the rest of the vehicle won't do well on 12-volt unless it is converted.

The ignition and fuel delivery also need to be in good condition as well as good compression with all 12 cylinders. When things are right, you can just bump the starter briefly to get a warm engine to fire off. A cold engine can take a bit longer but not a lot. It could be a combination of things making starting difficult.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
supereal

Old starters usually have worn bushings which allow the armature to drag on the field shoes when under a heavy pull. The condition of the commutator and the brushes and holders is also important. Finding a place that rebuilds starters is rare now, but new and rebuilt starters are available from several sources.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
Zephyr Q

Most of the advise I can give has already been shared. But I'll just say what I have done on my V-12 even though it might sound repetitive. I've had the starter gone through at a reputable local shop. Cleaned all points of contacts for the grounds. 0-gauge negative cable. Optima 6 volt battery. I wouldn't say it spins fast, but it sounds like a 6-volt system typically sounds.
Zephyr Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
Ken/Alabama

I've found on more than one occasion that the solenoid is bad causing a high resistance.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Rick

Thanks for all the info. I need to find a re builder to make sure that it is not the starter it self. I have the proper cables and will check to see of the starter cable is getting warm. I have checked the grounding connections. I have other 6 volt flathead V8s and they turn over faster then my Lincoln. Any one recommend a good starter re builder?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
corvette8n

Look through the yellow pages, I know in this day and age it sounds funny but some of the shops that have been around for a long time still advertise this way, then go and visit and talk to the guys doing the actual work, get a feel for their experience.
corvette8n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
4dFord/SC

If you post your location in your profile, someone might be able to recommend a nearby rebuilder.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote