Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
jstrez5

Default heater motor 39 ford

anyone know of anybody who could rebuld a heater motor in my 39 ford it started making noise it is the motor 2 speed for heat and 2 for defrost your help is greatly appreciated. thank you JIM.
jstrez5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: heater motor 39 ford

Do you know what heater it is? Lots of different ones were installed. If you know what it is, there are places that work on and have parts for different ones.

For starters it could be a gas heater like a Southwind or any of many water heaters.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrez5 View Post
anyone know of anybody who could rebuld a heater motor in my 39 ford it started making noise it is the motor 2 speed for heat and 2 for defrost your help is greatly appreciated. thank you JIM.
I just done the one in my 40. Sounds like the same heater. Runs forward for heat and reverse for defrost. I disassembled the motor and cleaned the commutator on the armature and oiled the bearings. New wiring harness from the motor to the switch is available also. The new harness has to be soldered inside the motor.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
RKS.PA

And I just did one for my '47 where the switch reverses the motor rotation. I got the new harness...comes with wiring diagram to the switch....very helpful...from C&G. As Ken notes above, the four wires in the harness must be soldered to the field and commutator connections. Very satisfying project!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
jstrez5

this heater motor is a 6volt motor runs 2 speed foreward and 2 speed for the defrost it was working correctly with 2 speed for heat and the 2 speeds for the defrost something happend and now i only have 1 speed for heat and 1 for defrost and also the motor is making a loud noise i hope this all makes sence to me it sounds like the motor if so why would the switch only work for 1 heat and 1 defrost when the switch is made for 2 and 2 ? thank you JIM S.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #6
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrez5 View Post
this heater motor is a 6volt motor runs 2 speed foreward and 2 speed for the defrost it was working correctly with 2 speed for heat and the 2 speeds for the defrost something happend and now i only have 1 speed for heat and 1 for defrost and also the motor is making a loud noise i hope this all makes sence to me it sounds like the motor if so why would the switch only work for 1 heat and 1 defrost when the switch is made for 2 and 2 ? thank you JIM S.
Switch could be bad. But that’s not gonna cause noise. Are the 1 speeds you have only on the Hi position. ?
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
jstrez5

I don't think the switch is bad. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts. All contacts are solid and making a good connection as it turns to different settings.

The 1 speeds that I have are high only. The lightbulb turns bright on both high settings, while its dim on the low settings. The low speed does not turn the fan at all. The high speed sometimes turns the fan, but if it doesn't you can give the fan a little push and it starts to turn at high speed.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
Terry,OH

The resistor on the switch and switch contacts is what puts the motor in slow speed. Look to make sure one lead of the resistor is not broken.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:32 PM   #9
aussie merc

with terry bad resistor if you lost low in both directions just out of curiosity any one know what the high rpm is
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #10
jstrez5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
with terry bad resistor if you lost low in both directions just out of curiosity any one know what the high rpm is
Should be easy enough to check. Anyone know the ohmic value of the resistor on an original switch?
Old 06-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #11
Sal

Try Eurton Electric Company phone # 800 423-4789, there in California. They rebuilt the heater motor for my '48 Ford 2 speeds for heat 2 for defrost. They are expensive but it works like new.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:51 AM   #12
Terry,OH

1.0 Ohm
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #13
jstrez5

I just want to thank everyone for your help in this matter greatly appreciated . JIM S.