Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
hopalong

Default 1948 merc ground

I am having issues with lighting ground. Could anyone tell me where the body to frame ground was located? I have an engine to body ground,and my battery to body ground. Was there another? Tom
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: 1948 merc ground

I would say groundings are the most misunderstood subject: Some vehicles had a ground to the block to frame, some did not. No reason not to add a ground from say bell housing bolt to the chassis thats good. Whats your problem yellow or dim headlights? Do you have a voltmeter to check whats coming (plus) or going (negative) from the light sockets? The headlight bucket grounds come from the fenders bolted to a grounded body. With a long jumper wire did you ground the headlight ground terminal to batt ground did it get brighter yes=no.. did you jump say low beam with jumper to
battery positive = brighter yes no ? did you take volt test at the headlight switch =
good or bad ? bad - switch is bad, good now take a look at the dimmer switch - all three terminals should read good. If good wiring from dimmer to front harness needs a look at Most likely those bullet connectors are the common green corrosion. I added ground wires directly to headlight buckets to the block took care of that. Just take a look at these new so called modern crap boxes, everything now has a ground cause its all in plastic... So what you have is pretty easy to track. Just try and track a new piece of
so called "better " like horn blows when ya get out lights work when the radios on and all that foolishness. So the wifes 2015 ford 'something' can't pass emissions everthing has been done. I win, hard to do with a woman so I take her in a 46 Ford to shop end of my rant sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If you are not going for total originality, extra grounds are always helpful. Be sure the metal surfaces are clean and connections are tight. I apply a bit of grease to the surfaces to help keep them rust and corrosion free.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
hopalong

I am having ground issues with rear tail lights. I am assuming that rear lamp sockets had to be grounded to body? My front lights work. Someone in past has added ground wires to both headlamps and park lights. I have added a ground cable from frame to body in area under the hood,as I didn't see any ground straps for body to frame,as you said they may not have been any from the factory.
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
waterboychuck

Isn't there a small stud on the lower side of the firewall passenger side?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
FortyNiner

Even with great ground to the frame, I would add separate grounds for each of the tail light housings. There are so many possible failure points between the fenders and bulb sockets that my continuity check was much happier with them.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalong View Post
I am having ground issues with rear tail lights. I am assuming that rear lamp sockets had to be grounded to body? My front lights work. Someone in past has added ground wires to both headlamps and park lights. I have added a ground cable from frame to body in area under the hood,as I didn't see any ground straps for body to frame,as you said they may not have been any from the factory.

Had similar issues recently with rear lights at 38 PU.
Ended up running a separate earth from light fitting to body.
This solved the problem. You could try this.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote