Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
BillCNC

Default Just Starting from the SoCal Desert

Hello All

The Model A vacuum has finally sucked me in. It's been a dream since childhood to own a Model A or a Plymouth Superbird and since I'm not a Billionaire and I'm posting here, ... well you get the point.

My kids are grown and have been living on their own for several years now and with no significant other, ... It's Time to have my wallet dry cleaned and pressed (emptied).

I have a brother in-law that has been a bigwig mechanic with ford for just about his entire carrier and he will be joining me as another set of eyes when I look at the cars. The only problem I have is trying to decide on a Coupe or a Sedan. As for the year, Heck, any year would work for me.

A couple of questions:

1). Is there anything in particular that we should be looking at/for or hidden problem areas?

2). Are there any Kiss of death signs to look for?

3). Is there a preferred place to get the manuals and other info from?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
1955cj5

Default Re: Just Starting from the SoCal Desert

Several vendors.....and the catalogs have diagrams that are helpful

https://modelastore.com/

https://www.brattons.com/

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/

They all offer Les Andrew's mechanics handbook..

And there's the Instruction book.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Model A owners manual.pdf (3.81 MB, 50 views)
Old 08-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Well you made a great start by joining The Barn. Pull up a tire and sit awhile....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
The only problem I have is trying to decide on a Coupe or a Sedan. As for the year, Heck, any year would work for me.

Regards
Bill
As far as body style a lot depends on how big you are. Big fellas have a hard time fittin' in coupes. Even in my '30 Town Sedan I had to move the seat back 3" and bend the shifter ~1" to the right to be comfortable. (I'm 6'2", 190psig) Other than that, get the body you like best.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-13-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Verbage
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Hello All

The Model A vacuum has finally sucked me in. It's been a dream since childhood to own a Model A or a Plymouth Superbird and since I'm not a Billionaire and I'm posting here, ... well you get the point.

My kids are grown and have been living on their own for several years now and with no significant other, ... It's Time to have my wallet dry cleaned and pressed (emptied).

I have a brother in-law that has been a bigwig mechanic with ford for just about his entire carrier and he will be joining me as another set of eyes when I look at the cars. The only problem I have is trying to decide on a Coupe or a Sedan. As for the year, Heck, any year would work for me.

A couple of questions:

1). Is there anything in particular that we should be looking at/for or hidden problem areas?

2). Are there any Kiss of death signs to look for?

3). Is there a preferred place to get the manuals and other info from?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Bill
Bill,

what part of the desert are you located in, the High Desert or Coachella Valley?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
Bob C

Welcome. If you look at a Fordor sedan watch out for the wood, they have
a lot of wood unless it is a 1931 slat window.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fordorwood.jpeg (126.7 KB, 60 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
RawhideKid
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bill, I am 6'3" 225 and have a '28 Tudor and had to move the seat back 3" to fit. I recommend a Tudor or Four Door sedan, and if you get the sedan, the later years have adjustable seats I believe. A Coupe or Roadster of any of the years has very limited seat movability for tall folk. If you are 5'9" or shorter, anything will do.

Remove the radiator cap and note the cleanliness, any sludge can mean over heating problems which lead to engine problems.

Bill, the Mitchell 2 speed is a $2k upgrade that is well worth the cost for a serious driver. I believe the trailer is another $3k, and I do not know that oil filter system. I also notice it has the Float-A-Motor mounts, and this could be a sign of high vibrations. I have also noticed that the steering box has been changed to what looks like the Randy Gross F-100 box, which is a great upgrade.

Last edited by RawhideKid; 08-14-2017 at 12:59 AM. Reason: added material
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
BillCNC

Thank You ALL for the responses, ...

I am 5'9 / 190 and getting smaller. My legs area little short for my torso which does help and I am located in the Hi-Desert, ... in Hesperia.

Well, these are the two I'm trying to inspect right now and am waiting for a time and date. I hope nobody from this forum snipes them, ...

My first choice, ... 1929 Coupe. A little pricy, but she looks very clean. The trailer would also come in handy. The down side, ... I've never been a fan of gold paint.

http://www.westcoastcorvettesales.co...e333e14/#Video

Second choice, ... 1929 Sedan, ... This also looks very clean and it's in the same town.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...lifornia-92345

The cars will get looked over and how, ... I used to wholesale cars to used car dealers, so I do know how things are hidden, just not on anything pre-50's. I'll bring the brother in-law and a few tools along with polishing cloths and a few magnets.

As far as the prices go, ... both are a little high, ... but I do think the 31 sedan is close and the 29 coupe is a few grand high.

What are your thoughts?

Regards
Bill

Last edited by BillCNC; 08-13-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
JDupuis

Welcome to the Barn, Bill.
Both of your car choices are very desirable. And not overpriced.
The coupe has had alot of great upgrades to make it more roadable. Example, the overdrive, the signals, alternator and the stearing box. That little trailer is an added 3000 to 3500 $ touch as well. Nice car.
The Tudor also a great looking car. Needs nothing but a driver, the choice is yours.
Good Luck. Jeff
Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #9
1955cj5

These are scattered all over the country but you can get some pricing ideas..

http://www.mafca.com/cl/cl-v-sale.html

Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
Utopia Texas

Think about what you are going to do with the Model A and remember that standard Coupes cannot carry many folks unless you modify the trunk and let them ride in the sun, heat, cold and rain!
I bought my late 1931 slant windshield 4 door sedan in 1988 when they were laughed at in the local hobby as the "clunky" Model A. The reality is I can carry 5 folks if necessary and my wife beems at the extra space when we go on antiquing tours. Can also carry lots of luggage etc.
I sold both of my Model T Coupes because when family or company came over I could only take one other person for a ride at one time.
On the other hand if you never plan on more than one other passenger Coupes are great fun.....!
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #11
glenn in camino

1. Engine major oil or water leaks, 2, noisy trans or rear end, 3, Paint is an original color in good condition, 4, upholstery is original type material and in good condition.
Take it out for a test drive at 50-55 mph to see how it sounds and stops. When you return, look underneath to see what's leaking. They all leak a little.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #12
Scottio57

Hi Bill. Scott here. I'm just down the road in Lancaster. Welcome. Travieso I just went through your area today on my way back from my family party in Oceanside. Getting a little smoky around there.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
daveymc29

Just from the pictures I'd take the Tudor. Coupe is close to the high end of getting screwed, in my thinking. Tudor looks a lot more original with a couple of extras. There is something to be said for the gear splitter in the coupe, but they are a club project easily done in a day if a few guys come by with some knowledge. tudor seat can be moved a bit farther back, but if you're like me that isn't that much of a problem. I stand 6' tall but sit 6'6" and it seems you do close to the same. I drive a coupe and a roadster with some slow entry and exiting, practice makes it easier over time. Tudor doesn't have a lot of wood, but there is some. Out there in Hesperia it should bo okay if it wasn't neglected and it doesn't look like it was/

Last edited by daveymc29; 08-13-2017 at 09:38 PM.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #14
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Bill,

Forgot to welcome you to the Barn. Yes, we have a fire that started this after noon on the border between Riverside and Moreno Valley off of the I-215. There is a lot of smoke around my house.

We bought our Roadster off the MAFCA website. We bought in Orange County because we didn't want to travel too far to inspect it and take it home. The owner kept it garaged for the 20 years he owned it and kept it in very good condition. There are a lot of cars on Craig's List too.

Another idea is to go to the Swap meets around Southern Cal and you'll see a few cars for sale. There is one coming up in Chatsworth on August 20th listed here on the Barn.

Good luck with your search,

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:32 AM   #15
Dollar Bill

Welcome to the Barn - Glad to have you!!!

If I had to choose between the two judging on digital only, I would be on the Tudor like a chicken on a June bug.

It's period correct on the color - May not be a concern for you now but A's that not color correct will be more difficult to sell. Painting a Model A ain't cheap.

Both Coupe and Tudor do not have correct wheels. Should be 21" on the Coupe and 19" on the Tudor.

Later model cars have more production refinements and usually less wood.

Good luck in your hunt and again, Welcome Aboard!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 AM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Vermin, my Avatar car is for sale, along with 2 HUGE tool chests full of tools, all my heavy equipment, spares, etc. $22,000.00 CASH for the WHOLE KABOODLE !
Bill W.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #17
BillCNC

Hello Gentelman,

As of right now, the Model A is just for fun and crusin around town however that might change a little once I start driving her. I really don't have a preference of a Coupe or Sedan and if I did, I might lean a little on the Coupe side, not sure why though, maybe it seems more personal instead of a family car. I also don't' really have any interest in giving rides to everyone and their mother, possibly the grand kids every now and then and even if I get a Sedan, I'll only take one or two at a time. Have you ever been in a car stuffed with a bunch of grand kids, ... Forgetaboutit! I don't wield the power of a parent so control is limited.

glenn in camino;

Good points to be aware of, thanks.

Utopia Texas;

A Fordor isn't in the stars for me as it suggest to others, ... Gimme a Ride. BUT, ... I have been reading that many Fordor owners wish they had a Fordor for Grocery-store runs and stuff. I really don't need to do that, as I own 2 ford F-150's.

Scottio57;

I'm out that way about every other week. Perhaps we will meet some day.

Jdupui;

Good point, … Those upgrades do help in drivability and safety.

RawhideKid;

Now there is some information I needed, the swapped out parts. I had no clue and I really need to find these kind of things out and quickly. THANK YOU!

Would there be any other reason to go with those mounts if the car didn't have a viberation issue, perhaps just to make it a little smother that stock mounts?

1955cj5;

Great links, … I'm trying to buy a car that is in excellent shape to where I never have to use those links, that's the goal.

California Travieso;

THANK YOU, … Fantastic, I will have to check out Chatsworth on the 20th. I was planning on going to the event in San Bernardino on 8-24.

Dollar Bill;

VERY important information, … Thanks for the note on the wheels, … by looking at the pictures I would have never known as I am not that far with my eye spotting these things. After you posted that, The only way I could tell was by the tire side walls do look pretty tall. Was that the tell? As far as the color, the Sedan does appeal to me more because I'm not a big fan of gold paint and barely gold anodizing. At first I was looking for a Mechanically sound car that needed cosmetics, … Inside and out. I'd pay for the interior but paint the car myself, I have a few under my belt already and as a professional Prototype / Model Maker, … Spray guns are no strangers to me. So it would only be the cost of materials as I already own the equipment.

BILL WILLIAMSON;

Well your certainly within by distance range but your avatar is to tiny to see well. I'll PM you my email addy and if you could, please send me some pictures.

Guys, this is exactly the type of the info needed so I am buying something worth owning and not just some slapped together morphodite to as of right now, ... Clueless.

After Dollar Bill pointed out the incorrect wheel size on the cars, ... I found out it's about $800.00 per wheel to correct if I was a 100% bone stock guy. For the Coupe with the trailer (7 wheels), ... that's over $6,000.00 with shipping to correct on top of the $22,900 if I paid full pop for the car. Not sure if that a good bargaining lever or not.

Anyhow, if you guys note any other inaccurate things in the photos, PLEASE continue to shout it out, ... don't worry, I learn very quickly!

Regards
Bill
Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #18
Fred K-OR

Like mentioned above, how many people do you want to ride with you when you go for a drive. My wife keeps saying we should have bought a two seat rig rather that a coupe so we can have others go with us. Just one consideration.
Next I would think you need to figure out what you want to pay for a rig, how much do you want to work on it yourself to get it fixed up to a good rig. A fixeruper would be less expensive than both these rigs but it may cost you as much to get it fixed up to where these rigs are now. Just some thoughts.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

I'd be very careful with that gold coupe. You'll note the "Vin" (SERIAL) number listed is "A1301402", most-likely on the paperwork like the previous title. You should notice below that the stamped number on the block does NOT match that number. The only way to verify that the actual number on the frame matches the "paperwork number" is going to be to lift the body and verify the number stamped into the frame under the cowl area, which you SHOULD do for your own protection, as well as the STATE FOLKS may also wish to SEE that number on the frame (lift body again) when you go to register the paperwork. You really ought to make sure they match NOW, as this problem could easily come back to bite your butt years from now when you go to sell. And DON'T buy an overpriced car from one of those friendly, "rip-off" car dealers. They ain't givin' you no deal, for sure! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #20
BillCNC

Hello Gentleman,

Looks like I have an appointment to view the 29 Coupe this Friday morning. I'm starting a list of questions to ask and critical points to look over.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/32000887#

Anyone wanna help, … just post the things YOU yourself would ask or look for if you were the one looking to buy.

I'm also looking to make a hit list to try to bring the price down.

Regards
Bill