Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #21
koates

Default Re: 47 generator rear bushing

Just another tip, don't have that generator drive belt too tight. About 1 1/2"play in the middle length. Too tight will wear that bush out and don't forget a drop of oil now and then. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #22
Old Henry

I always loaded the oil fitting at the back of the generator every thousand miles as recommended by Ford. However, I made two mistakes. First of all, not knowing how the oil got through the bearing to the shaft, I put in thick oil, SAE 95-140. The second mistake was, the last time I oiled the generator, The oil spout somehow popped off and was found laying on the top of the manifold at the end of my latest 1300 mile trip. I put the filler back in and pounded it down tight but I think the damage was already done. When I took the generator apart at that point, the bearing was totally dry but not particularly worn. Then, another mistake, again, because I didn’t know how the oil got through the bearing to the shaft. I loaded the bearing with grease, counting on it to lubricate if the oil didn’t. I then did my 2000 mile road trip. That apparently finished off the bushing. So, the problem was not lack of lubrication, it was too heavy oil, axle grease, oil filler falling off allowing the oil to evaporate and the bearing to dry out.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #23
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Just another tip, don't have that generator drive belt too tight. About 1 1/2"play in the middle length. Too tight will wear that bush out and don't forget a drop of oil now and then. Regards, Kevin.

I'm still curious about the belt adjustment. As mentioned by Koates/Kevin, the belt adjustment should be quite loose, compared to modern belts/cars. I've made the same mistake, myself, prior to learning about this. And, possibly, a tight belt could have contributed here.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The lubrication chart I have calls for using engine oil, which if specified as SAE 30 for summer and 20w for colder weather.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #25
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I'm still curious about the belt adjustment. As mentioned by Koates/Kevin, the belt adjustment should be quite loose, compared to modern belts/cars. I've made the same mistake, myself, prior to learning about this. And, possibly, a tight belt could have contributed here.
I personally don't overtighten the belt. I had an engine rebuilder do it once and I didn't loosen it before a road trip which resulted in the same thing but worse. See: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155331 post # 22.

Attached diagram shows ½" play both directions for the belt. I always have more than that. Even still, the bushing wears out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belt Adjustment diagram.jpg (47.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #26
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The lubrication chart I have calls for using engine oil, which if specified as SAE 30 for summer and 20w for colder weather.
My lubrication chart calls for S.A.E. 20. Until I get some of that I'll go with my Mobile 1 10W-30.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:33 PM   #27
Old Henry

What's this mystery weep hole?

As I'm trying to fill the oil reservoir for the rear bushing bearing, oil weeps out of that little hole in the side of the reservoir below the level of the bottom of the bushing. Is that how it's supposed to be? If so, it seems the oil in the reservoir below the bushing would remain below the bushing and not touch the bushing to be absorbed into it for lubrication. Or, should that hole not be leaking out oil?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bushing oil resevoir weep hole.jpg (110.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #28
koates

You can put too much oil in the generator oiler with the result being oil all over the brushes and commutator which will stop the gen working. Just a drop or two every thousand miles, that's ONE DROP OR TWO ONLY. Don't keep filling the oiler because you will see oil coming out of the drain hole. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:04 AM   #29
cas3

the weep hole is designed to do exactly what its doing, release excess oil. there should be a felt washer at the back which absorbs oil and slowly releases the vapors onto the shaft. you have a oilite bushing, so its oil impregnated, and therefor only needs a sip every now and then. i looked at the green book, and its not shown? in the parts numbers 10129 is the whole assembly, as you found, and 78 10128 is the bushing which shows as no longer available in 48! all the 101 numbers are for the rear end parts, they do talk about the felt washer on 3 brush genys, but it gets confusing on yours. but...i believe its there, and again with the oilite bushing a dab of light grease on assembly, and a few drops of motor oil at the recommended intervals is what your after. actually the 90wt you put in should have worked, your bushing was toast before you put it in
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:33 AM   #30
flatheadmurre

Isn´t it that the oil you put in goes around the oilite bushing...whatever isn´t absorbed the re at first ends up in an oilwick below as an reservoir...if you overfill that it weeps out.
The common feltwashers i´ve seen is usually in front with the open ballbearing.
The small amount of oil comming out the rear bushing is taken care of by centrifugal force.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote