Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #21
FrankWest

Default Re: Model A prices...going which way?

Do model A 2 seater coups with rumble seats more easy to sell than sedans?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
modeleh

I think the body styles that were traditionally turned into hot rods back in the 40s and 50s are still holding good values. Roadsters and Coupes (not sport coupes) done in a traditional hot rod style are popular right now and that has kept the price of project and finished bodies fairly high relative to the other styles. For that reason, if you’re looking for resale then go for a Coupe or Roadster but the buy in is high. If you don’t care about this being a good “investment” then go with one of the other body styles because there’s some really good value in sedans that really allow enjoyment in some ways better than the coupes and roadsters.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #23
FrankWest

All in all I think the model A is a great antique car at a very cheap price. Someday the prices may skyrocket, when people realize you get a lot of original history that you can drive at rock bottom prices. Kind or reminds me a old silver dollars. Back in the early 60's I remember going into a bank and asking for silver dollars. They had them in their vaults.
The price was 1 paper dollar for 1 almost uncirculated chrisp Morgan or Peace silver dollar. The kind you buy on ebay today for 50 dollars.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #24
john charlton

Prices in the UK seem to be stable during my 45 years or so in the hobby .When a model A is up for sale here it has a 50/50 chance of being rodded many are imported just for this purpose .This market is for younger people who have no nostalgic connection and are quite happy to chop and channel . At car shows I feel a tinge of regret when I see what used to be a nice original car but the owner is very happy as he has improved it or as one owner said to me "made it streetable" But of course it is his car and of course he can do as he pleases. This dual demand has kept prices stable here in the UK .

John in heavy rain Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #25
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Prices seem to have remained fairly stable for the past twenty years in my opinion.
Several have answered this way, but you need to factor in inflation. In 1999 if a Model cost $10,000 it would take $15,400 in today's dollars to buy the same car.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

So if prices have remained the same...in other words if you could still buy that same car for $10,000 today, then prices are actually down 35% compared to 20 years ago.

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 10-01-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeleh View Post
I think the body styles that were traditionally turned into hot rods back in the 40s and 50s are still holding good values. Roadsters and Coupes ............. are popular right now and that has kept the price of project and finished bodies fairly high relative to the other styles. For that reason, if you’re looking for resale then go for a Coupe or Roadster but the buy in is high. .
I agree with modeleh.... especially on the '30-'31 Roadsters. There will always be a demand for them. First off, look at what the aftermarket body builders are making, Roadsters. They aren't making Tudor sedans. Secondly, look how popular a '32 Ford Coupe or Roadster is with all old car enthusiasts. Step back and look at the lines of the '32 Ford and you will see it is a copy of the '30-'31 Ford. That says a lot in itself.

In a general answer to the thread's original poster, I've learned first hand from a near death occurrence in 2016, that 'it don't matter' anymore go out and do what makes you happy and don't look back. Don't get hung up over money. Don't worry. Life is too short that is terribly true. Have fun with a Model A today and let the next guy fuss over it when you are dead and gone, and we're all heading in that direction bud
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #27
40 Deluxe

Oftentimes too much emphasis is placed on "What's my car worth today? Did it go up or down? Will I lose money on it? (Horror of Horrors!)" Take a look at your modern car: Is it worth what it was when you bought it? No! Are you crying over it? No! I bought a new VW Jetta in 2011 for somewhere around $26,000 out the door. Today it is worth about $6500. Just typical depreciation. Suppose you had purchased a freshly restored Model A in 2011 for the same $26,000. Would it be worth just $6500 today? Only if you had wrapped it around a tree! Just drive and enjoy! It's a HOBBY!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #28
ronn

I consider model A prices to be flat. Meaning they didnt go up or down in the last 20 years. they only rose with inflation, meaning theyve gone nowhere.

there are exceptions, concerning rare models, but that is far and few...............

Also, labor rates have gone up tremendously, so there are many variables involved in assessing value. A top restoration today tends to be better then a top restoration 20 yrs ago........ but NOS parts were far more available then.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #29
Chuck Sea/Tac

In the Seattle Tacoma area I’m seeing older owners cars coming on the market, so to me it’s seems there’s more cars than buyers.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #30
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeleh View Post
I think the body styles that were traditionally turned into hot rods back in the 40s and 50s are still holding good values. Roadsters and Coupes (not sport coupes) done in a traditional hot rod style are popular right now and that has kept the price of project and finished bodies fairly high relative to the other styles. For that reason, if you’re looking for resale then go for a Coupe or Roadster but the buy in is high. If you don’t care about this being a good “investment” then go with one of the other body styles because there’s some really good value in sedans that really allow enjoyment in some ways better than the coupes and roadsters.
Somebody always has to throw shade at sport coupes..ain't it enough they were done in by Ford themselves with the cabriolet during production? and they've been kicked ever since..hot rodders dont like 'em,callem 'coupsters' with a sneer..restorers don't like them cause the top costs a grand and doesn't go down..the car was the hottest car on the market in '28,they built 134,000 in '29 and it was dead by '32,with 6000 produced..give the car a break for crying out loud..

Oh,and after following the market religiously for the last few years its obvious the market is down..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #31
Bob Johnson

Here are the results from my "how much is it worth?" web page. Note the prices are ASKING prices from the MARC and MAFCA magazines.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #32
ronn

no disrespect Bob,

but asking and selling prices have no coherence in the mkt. Mafca prices always seem high. Nice to dream..........
Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #33
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
no disrespect Bob,

but asking and selling prices have no coherence in the mkt. Mafca prices always seem high. Nice to dream..........
I think for the purposes of this thread (are prices of Model As going up, down, or staying the same), Bob's data is helpful.

If in 2000 the average ASKING price was $12,862, adjusting for inflation it would be $18,756 in 2018 dollars. About the same as what Bob shows as the average ASKING price in 2018. This at least shows that using Bob's data, the ASKING PRICE has not changed over the last 8 years. I would guess that ASKING prices in 2000 were just as inflated as ASKING prices in 2018 so the relationship between asking and selling likely holds.

The other thing that Bob's data shows is that ASKING prices increased in inflation adjusted dollars though 2013, then decreased in inflation adjusted dollars (and real dollars) through 2018. Perhaps adding a column for Inflation Adjusted Average would be helpful.

It might also be helpful to throw out the outliers (those asking prices that were very low or very high) and run a 2000 vs 2018 comparison again. The $500 entries and the $75,000 entries could be affecting the average by quite a bit due to the relatively low number of total entries.

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 10-03-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #34
Bob Johnson

Ronn, it would be great to have the selling prices. But that information is not available. In general the asking price will be higher than the selling price. But the two should be well correlated.

Dick the Median column was included to remove the bias of outliers. Below is a chart where the prices have been corrected for inflation.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #35
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
Ronn, it would be great to have the selling prices. But that information is not available. In general the asking price will be higher than the selling price. But the two should be well correlated.

Dick the Median column was included to remove the bias of outliers. Below is a chart where the prices have been corrected for inflation.
Thanks, Bob

Pretty clear that A asking prices have remained pretty constant in terms of real dollars.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #36
31Cabriolet68-C

What's an A worth? Great question!
Two key elements in all value statements turn on supply and liquidity.
The Hemmings- based chart is very informative...
So over 20 years the # of A's for sale in this chart looks to consistently average only about 150 cars per year. (three per week, nationwide?!)
That would indicate a fairly small but stable supply which gives a buyer a bit of room to shop for specifics like model, condition and location. So as a buyer you can take your time, and just like so much in life: 'Select, Don't Settle!" You should be able to get what you want.
That being said, selling any A will have you, or your heirs, facing the same dillema as the guy that sold it to you... Liquidity.
So since it can take a long time to get a sale, and thereby get your money back, and since any ideas about a significant financial gain are pure speculation, it's best to keep in mind the primary reason a Model A Ford is such a great investment. Far better than any stocks and bonds, or real estate... Safer than Banking, or bars of gold, or fine arts...

Because, when every thing else around you has gone to Hell-in-a-handbasket, if you've been smart enough to invest in a Model A Ford, then at the very least you can get out of town...

Get the car of your dreams, take your time, watch the cash-flow, forget the resale-value BS, and don't let anyone talk anymore so-called 'common sense' at you... (Including me!)
Please post a few pics when you get your A!
Tallyho,
JB
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #37
ronn

I see your point Dick and Bob- however, consider this..............

ebay has been in business for 22 yrs now. selling prices have always been readily available there.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #38
alexiskai

eBay data is limited – if someone accepts "Best Offer" then that offer is not shown. Also the number of rods being sold makes it tedious to compile useful data.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #39
Bob Johnson

Ronn,

At one time I was collecting data from Ebay. But the time required to constantly monitor Ebay for valid sales is more than I would be willing to spend.

Bob
Old 10-04-2019, 03:04 AM   #40
ronn

eBay data is limited – if someone accepts "Best Offer" then that offer is not shown. Also the number of rods being sold makes it tedious to compile useful data.

so asking prices makes for better data? OK Im done.