Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #1
steve hackel

Default Battery chargers or battery tenders ?

I'm sure someone here knows the answer...
I have a small lift that uses 4 - 6v deep cycle batteries, much like a golf cart. The factory charger failed, and I have replaced all 4 batteries new. Should I look for a 24v charger, 2 - 12v chargers. Or 4 - 6v charger / tenders? Since I don't get to the shop where this is at very often, and even then I don't use it much, but when I need it I'm out. If I just disconnect the short cables on top it the batteries. I can leave 2 in series for 12v, or disconnect all and have 4 independent 6v batteries. The prices seem about the same whether I buy an expensive 24v unit or 4 individual 6v models. I'm open for suggestions on this one for sure! Thanks 😉
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Battery chargers or battery tenders ?

Steve,

Deltran makes battery chargers/maintainers with 2 and 4 banks. Unfortunately, they are 12v only and are listed as currently out of stock. Perhaps you could put two 6v batteries in series and use the two bank unit when they are back in stock. You can go to the Deltran website to buy them.

On it’s website Walmart has a Banshee 5 Bay 6/12v Smart Charger/Tender for Car Motorcycle Truck Boat Battery for $124.88:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/37e...2&odnBg=FFFFFF

Good luck,

David Serrano

Last edited by California Travieso; 10-23-2021 at 09:06 PM.
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
katy

https://www.amazon.com/24-volt-batte...attery+charger

https://www.batterymart.com/c-24-vol...-chargers.html
Old 10-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
nkaminar

If the batteries are all the same age (or new) and condition and the same brand, size, etc. then they can all be charged in series (24 volts). If not then there is a chance that one or more batteries will be overcharged because of one battery that is under performing. Overcharging is a quick way to kill a battery.

Check the voltage of each battery individually after they have been sitting for a day. If they are all equal within a tenth of a volt then you are good to go.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
Mister Moose

In general, size matters. In series, a large battery and a small battery will result in one being undercharged, or over charged. It matters less in the OP's case, as they are identical batteries. But even if the same size, there will be internal differences as they age. I'd think you'd be better off charging them in parallel, ie get a decent size 6V charger and run a small current through them, a smart charger that can taper would be best. Since 6V smart chargers are probably rare, the other option is 2 parallel banks of 2 in series on a 12V smart charger might be the best real world compromise, given what's out there in the market place. Just be aware that when in parallel, the pair with least resistance will draw more current, and the other pair will get less, and not be as charged. Buy 2 chargers and split the pair is the better and more expensive way. It sounds like one charger would be the least work, with less cable disconnecting.

Buy yourself a specific gravity battery tester, and check them twice a year. Add water if needed. If you see drops in one battery compared to others, charge that battery more while you're there. If you see one low cell and two good cells in a battery, it's going south.

I have a friend that maintains his 6V deep cycle batteries over the winter on a solar cell. The (average) solar output is matched to the current needed to float the batteries. He's had very good luck doing that.

Last edited by Mister Moose; 10-24-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #6
nkaminar

Yes, a small solar panel will charge a battery (12 volts). However, the modern way to use a solar panel to charge a battery, or batteries, is to use a charge controller. The charge controller is like a smart battery maintainer. It will do a bulk charge and then change to a float charge after the batteries are charged. The newer ones will charge a 12 volt battery (14 volts when charging) with a solar panel that is putting out less than 14 volts. These smart charge controllers have what is called peak tracking where they operate the solar panel at the optimum point in the power curve to get the most out of the panel.

Solar panel voltage is higher when the panel is colder. So the highest output is on a clear winter day. The panel should be facing south (in the northern hemisphere) and in general mounted at an angle equal to the local latitude. And, of course, the panel should be in full sun. Even a partial shadow on a panel can kill all the output. This is because the cells are mounted in series. One cell if in shadow will block all the current from the rest of the cells. Large panels that put out 60 volts or so will have diodes to bypass any strings in shadow, but the output is still severely diminished.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 10-24-2021 at 06:58 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:11 AM   #7
steve hackel

After reading everyone's suggestions and directions, I checked on Ebay and Amazon for specific 6v chargers and found enough 6v / 12v combinations with 4 banks. I believe this would be the best choice, as they are "tender friendly after charging it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...FCZQ3JX5&psc=1
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote